Nate Diaz vs McGregor & Johnson

deviake

Otsego Amigo
@Silver
Reaction score
I watched Diaz/Ol' Greg a couple days ago, and I just finished Diaz/Johnson.

I can't get over how good he looked against Michael Johnson (it's been awhile since I've watched it). Not only was he checking kicks, but he used the Thai Clinch effectively, landed a front kick to the face (albeit not with much impact), and even landed a couple head kicks! The timing on the head kick he threw in the third round was excellent. He looked really well rounded in his striking and I don't think I've ever seen him that cut up.

He did better against McGregor than I remembered. McGregor landed some solid lefts and body shots, but I had forgotten how many times Nate made him miss.

After watching both it's hard for me to see how McGregor wins unless he keeps Nate off balance with variety, doesn't tire, and lands a picture perfect power left. Diaz with renewed motivation and prep time is a monster; Johnson and Mcgregor are no joke. I think Johnson is faster than McGregor and throws more combos, but Nate was already getting his range before the first round was over. People forget how good Johnson is, and how good his chin is - holy shit. He took harder 1-2's than McGregor did multiple times and didn't even get wobbly.

Anyway, Nate via sub or TKO in round three. Conor will look better but he's going to have a harder time landing meaningful shots. Nate is going to block and roll with more of them, will get his range and timing faster, and will be throwing harder and with more volume than last time. Conor is going to wilt. He shouldn't have pursued this rematch.

001_Nate_Diaz.0.jpg

Both fights can be found on youtube.

Last edited:
Honestly he'd beat both in one night

Watch out the Conor nuthuggers are rushing over.

Screen-Shot-2015-09-23-at-1.56.43-PM.png

There will be another cleansing of the parasitic Conor fans, and most of what's left will be his true fans, myself included actually.

Last edited:
That's a very good breakdown. Nate looked amazing against Michael Johnson.

As for UFC 202, I am truly a fan of both Conor and Nate and all I can hope for is another amazing fight. After their first fight, logic obviously says Nate beats The Notorious again, but well, you never know... love him or hate him, McGregor actually is obsessed with his training and he's a smart guy. There is a chance he comes up with the right strategy.

Or maybe Nate slaps his head off again. Either way, I'll be happy and sad at the same time.

That's a very good breakdown. Nate looked amazing against Michael Johnson.

As for UFC 202, I am truly a fan of both Conor and Nate and all I can hope for is another amazing fight. After their first fight, logic obviously says Nate beats The Notorious again, but well, you never know... love him or hate him, McGregor actually is obsessed with his training and he's a smart guy. There is a chance he comes up with the right strategy.

Or maybe Nate slaps his head off again. Either way, I'll be happy and sad at the same time.

Thanks, and well said.

Win or lose, I think Conor is going to put up a very valiant effort.

Conor is probably a better striker than Johnson when not obsessed with throwing his left hand every other second, but it all depends on what version we'll see of him come 202 that will determine if he beats Nate or not. Sort of the same deal with Diaz. If the McGregor who beat Buchinger/Holloway/Aldo shows up, I give him the fight. No matter which version of Nate shows up. Either but corner/cut stoppage or dominant unanimous decision.

Last edited:
I must admit I'm liking Conor a bit more now that he's eaten some humble pie. Should be very interesting this time around.

I also think this fight will end in the 3rd rd via Sub ... but in my fantasies Nate pulls off a flying armbar from the clinch in round 1 <7>

#itcouldhappen

Sometimes Nate looks like a world beater sometimes he looks like gatekeeper. It's strange with him.

I must admit I'm liking Conor a bit more now that he's eaten some humble pie. Should be very interesting this time around.
Imagine how much you'll like him after a second serving

I also think this fight will end in the 3rd rd via Sub ... but in my fantasies Nate pulls off a flying armbar from the clinch in round 1 <7>

#itcouldhappen

I like your thinking!

I would yell so loud my neighbors would think there was another fight going on. :D

Hell, I'll lose it if Nate just lands a Judo toss.

I watched that fight recently and honestly I think it wasn't a good win for Nayt. He might have edged it but not by much. I don't think robbery is the right word but if I was Michael Johnson I would not be happy with those judges. Especially when you consider Nayt was disrespecting Johnson by stockton slapping him, an offense which should result in a deducted point. I'm not hating though it was a good performance just not that good.

I watched that fight recently and honestly I think it wasn't a good win for Nayt. He might have edged it but not by much. I don't think robbery is the right word but if I was Michael Johnson I would not be happy with those judges. Especially when you consider Nayt was disrespecting Johnson by stockton slapping him, an offense which should result in a deducted point. I'm not hating though it was a good performance just not that good.

Troll elsewhere.

Troll elsewhere.
Stockton slap has no place in mma. Its the behaviour of a street fighter or a bully. I'm not the only one who has this belief. I still think Diaz deserved the decision just think people are going overboard with praise on him.

I was pretty amazed at his performance vs Johnson as well. I didn't even think it would be close leading up to the match, Johnson was looking great in the run up to that fight.

The only reason people think Nate took any real damage in that fight was because of the cut above his eye. He looked like a guy that had been boxing for many years in that fight. Effectively stood in the pocket and had Mcgregor hitting elbow, hand, arm multiple times. You can tell he's someone that can take a punch no problem and know how to deal with it. That big uppercut that Mcgregor landed - Nate immediately slipped the hook that came right after. Many years of boxing experience on display right there. Mcgregor meanwhile has zero defense what so ever. His version of defense is blocking punches with his chin, ala the Mendes fight.

Back