Nate Diaz on Playing Hardball with Dana White and Using Conor McGregor for Cash

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ReadWrite, Aug 7, 2016.

1. ReadWrite

ReadWrite Silver Belt Platinum Member

Diaz: Conor was ‘a shortcut' to the money I wanted

"This guy talks about all these fighters like they're f*cking dumb, and he's right, they're all f*cking dumb," Diaz said Friday on a UFC 202 conference call.

"I'm not one of those guys who sat around here f*cking taking contracts. I've been bitching about my contract for the last six years. I've been going through hell, so I knew I was going to get mine. When it was time to get mine, I was going to get what I was going to get regardless, and I had a plan to do it. It's not thanks to Conor that I got all of this, but I'm going to say that was a shortcut."

For Diaz, the path to the reimbursement of 2016 has been a long one.

The 31-year-old veteran spent a majority of the past three years on the sidelines, quarreling with the UFC over a contract that paid Diaz paltry disclosed figures for a veteran of his stature. However things finally changed last December, when Diaz upset Michael Johnson at UFC on FOX 17 and promptly called out McGregor with a profane rant on live national television.

The callout paid off, as Diaz scored the golden ticket -- and a new contract -- to face McGregor at UFC 196 following the injury dropout of Rafael dos Anjos. Diaz went on to infamously defeat McGregor via second-round rear-naked choke, setting up the Aug. 20 rematch at UFC 202, which takes place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

While Diaz is expected to receive another huge payday for his rematch against McGregor, he sees dramatic turnaround to his career as a result that was inevitable, one way or another.

"If I was stupid, I wouldn't have got to where I'm at," Diaz said. "I did what I had to do. I got that fight with Johnson, I plotted him out and I got sh*t done. And then I plotted back and got this on a 10-day notice and it worked out still, regardless. I asked for the fight, I said I wanted the fight, I got the fight, so I'm going to take the fight.

"So it's like, I feel I'm in the position I'm in because I put myself in this position, and it's not great, it's not horrible, it's f*cking what it is. So that's been my take on the whole situation. I wasn't following the leader on making some money here. I was going to get my money regardless, and I was going to get where I'm at regardless. But I will say that he was a shortcut."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/5...egor-was-a-shortcut-but-i-was-going-to-get-my

2. ortizgnp

ortizgnp Juice Belt

Stockton.

Motherfuckers.

3. Chules

Chules @UVEE'S BESTIE

4. Myrddin Wild

Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

I love Nate... but it's obvious he even knows that isn't true.

There'z no one else Nate can fight that will draw the kind of money & popularity he'z now getting. For sure Nate is a part of what sells this card so big... but Nate couldn't do it without Conor. Their fight together created record PPV sales... but Conor at least comez close to doing it without Nate. Conor is the head of this thing.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  5. Vulcan

Vulcan Red Belt

i am sure he will be financially responsible when he retires.

6. One MMA Fan

One MMA Fan #1

Conor wouldn't sell so well vs RDA or others.. nope Diaz was the perfect storm.

They will both get good money from this 202 card and they are using each other to maximize their cash potential here.

BC, Rum and Myrddin Wild like this.
  7. Myrddin Wild

Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

Well yeah, I think you meant to say Conor vs. RDA would not sell as much as Diaz/Conor. I agree. But Conor is one of not even a handful of people who generate 1 million PPV's & higher. Nate is a draw for sure... but he's not out there drawing 1 milliion PPV's while fighting other people... Conor is.

BC, One MMA Fan and kumitechamp like this.
  8. kumitechamp

kumitechamp Green Belt

Conor changed the game for all of them. I always liked that about Conor his self promotion skills as much as his fighting. A lot can be learned from the way he promoted himself. Its obvious the other fighters have taken note of it as well.

Myrddin Wild likes this.
  9. Heathcliff Pang

Heathcliff Pang Blue Belt

This is the same guy who thought he could buy a Cadillac and buy his mum a house with the 16k he got from winning TUF.
    Mother fucker needs to hire a Spencer Strasmore to handle his money.

Myrddin Wild likes this.
  10. 7th

7th Silver Belt

you sound like you're trying to be a smartass but the Diaz bros live like regular people

kiley_sean and GTS like this.
  11. 12ga.

12ga. Silver Belt

Nate is not being realistic. Fact is they had him on 20/20 or 40/40 and were looking to bounce him. His hardball tactics did'nt pay off previously because he had no leverage and even sat out (twice) to no avail. Came back with shitty contract in place. once he got leverage, first 10 day notice, second when that fool Conor wanted a rematch Nate executed well. Respect there but let's not get this twisted. All pay you can extract is about leverage or market position. Conor wasnt just a short cut but the fight that gave him that leverage.

Dana does not like to pay fighters well in general but it seems he has a particular hate for Diaz bros so I'm glad he finally got paid what he's worth but w/o conor Nate would have lost to a wrestler here and there (and there are 3 fantastic wrestlers at LW) and rode out his shit contract to retirement.

12. The Todd

The Todd Brown Belt

without conor its very unlikely Nate would see that money.

13. MMA

MMA Silver Belt Platinum Member

From what I've seen, I'd be more worried about Conor

14. MadVibez

MadVibez If do right, no can defense!

What you say is true but you got to be in it to win it He put himself in the mix he could have said nothing and nobody would've thought to give Nate that fight....Conor and Dana thought easy fight fuck khabib... save the card and after thay it's back to business... They never in their wildest dreams thought they would lose.

15. Brit_Brawler

Brit_Brawler Silver Belt

He's says that but he's the fucking idiot who has been in the ufc forever and was literally getting paid peanuts untill the mcgregor fight . One of the lowest pays in the game .
    Yes you're a real shrewd business man Nate

16. NotSurprised

NotSurprised Orange Belt

Conor will be broke 5 years after he retires.

kiley_sean and GTS like this.
  17. MadVibez

MadVibez If do right, no can defense!

Yep I've seen his car park watches and houses. Hope it's for show because his 14 mill will be gone soon. He wouldn't be the first to blow his money and he isn't even that rich compared to other big time athletes.