Nate Diaz is below the elite and can't beat Conor

He said Nate is not being competitive against top fighters anymore. He just beat one.
would you agree or disagree with me that a fighter is only as good as his last fight? and to what extent? Because while it's true that Johnson was ranked high, his exhibition was poor and quite frankly he lost to Nate Diaz. Do you think Johnson is standing toe to toe with Pettis, Alvarez or RDA? I don't think anyone thinks that, so I'm not sure you can say Nate really beat the top against Johnson.

I was saying when you compare Nate to the elite of the division he lacks the wrestling aspect of the game. And since Conor would not be wrestling with him this would not matter in this particular fight. They will exchange on the feet, where Nate is pretty elite.
Yes, he lacks the wrestling which is the tool to win. I'm not saying nate is bad in his boxing, but he is slow and easy to tag. You can't get punched in the face too many times against Conor.

Hi Sherbros. I've been thinking about the upcoming fight between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor and rewatching Diaz' fights. After watching all his fights from Thomson to Johnson, I have to say it's definitely very unlikely that Diaz will represent any kind of danger to McGregor. Worse than that, I don't think Diaz is capable of being competitive against the top fighters anymore, as he has been decisively dominated by elite competition in the past 3 years.

Diaz has very solid boxing and jiu jitsu skills. He uses his reach advantage to constantly punch opponents in the face. In the fights I saw he rarely clinched, but when he did he was successful. I only saw a single takedown from him against Josh Thomson. His BJJ is rarely used as he never tries to get into a grappling match and is more often than not on his back if the fight ever goes to the floor. He seldomly throws leg kicks, but no other kicks. He is slow and a very easy target, as he is constantly overreaching his punches and exposing himself for counters. He is vulnerable to kicks in general. Doesn't check many leg kicks and also has problems defending head kicks. He doesn't attempt takedowns and I don't know much about his wrestling.

Conor McGregor has absolutely all the tools to destroy Nate. Nate is slow, while Conor is very fast. Nate doesn't defend well against kicks, Conor throws many kicks. Nate gets punched a lot and Conor's punches are deadly. Nate doesn't shoot for takedowns and doesn't try to wrestle his way into any grappling position. Nate rarely tries clinching. If he stands and bangs with McGregor, he is going down. In all the fights I've seen he never tried anything different, so I bet this time won't be the case.

But worse than simply not being a match for McGregor, I have my doubts Nate can really be competitive against the top anymore. RDA absolutely picked him apart. Benson won all 5 rouns so I bet that was a one-sided beating too. Thomson beat him standing for two rounds until the TKO. His only wins since 2013 are Gray Maynard and Michael Johnson. Johnson looked bad against him, and they both just stand and bang all three rounds. Gray was past his prime already and Nate has a gigantic reach advantage over him, which plays right into Nate's game. I don't mean to completely downplay Nate's wins but they were really unimpressive and say nothing about his ability to beat very competent opposition. I see Nate being easily picked apart and TKO'd by Conor at some point during the match.

I can be an idiot talking shit too, so let's talk about it if you will.
So you downplay the Michael Johnson win because Michael Johnson looked bad? What the fuck kind of shitty logic is this?

So you downplay the Michael Johnson win because Michael Johnson looked bad? What the fuck kind of shitty logic is this?
I think they both looked bad. I just watched it so my memory is pretty fresh. Nate fought exactly the same way in the 4 fights I saw. It happened to work against Johnson because Johnson only stand and bang with him. I found that match was very unimpressive, but it won FOTN so maybe I'm in the minority.

Hi Sherbros. I've been thinking about the upcoming fight between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor and rewatching Diaz' fights. After watching all his fights from Thomson to Johnson, I have to say it's definitely very unlikely that Diaz will represent any kind of danger to McGregor. Worse than that, I don't think Diaz is capable of being competitive against the top fighters anymore, as he has been decisively dominated by elite competition in the past 3 years.

Diaz has very solid boxing and jiu jitsu skills. He uses his reach advantage to constantly punch opponents in the face. In the fights I saw he rarely clinched, but when he did he was successful. I only saw a single takedown from him against Josh Thomson. His BJJ is rarely used as he never tries to get into a grappling match and is more often than not on his back if the fight ever goes to the floor. He seldomly throws leg kicks, but no other kicks. He is slow and a very easy target, as he is constantly overreaching his punches and exposing himself for counters. He is vulnerable to kicks in general. Doesn't check many leg kicks and also has problems defending head kicks. He doesn't attempt takedowns and I don't know much about his wrestling.

Conor McGregor has absolutely all the tools to destroy Nate. Nate is slow, while Conor is very fast. Nate doesn't defend well against kicks, Conor throws many kicks. Nate gets punched a lot and Conor's punches are deadly. Nate doesn't shoot for takedowns and doesn't try to wrestle his way into any grappling position. Nate rarely tries clinching. If he stands and bangs with McGregor, he is going down. In all the fights I've seen he never tried anything different, so I bet this time won't be the case.

But worse than simply not being a match for McGregor, I have my doubts Nate can really be competitive against the top anymore. RDA absolutely picked him apart. Benson won all 5 rouns so I bet that was a one-sided beating too. Thomson beat him standing for two rounds until the TKO. His only wins since 2013 are Gray Maynard and Michael Johnson. Johnson looked bad against him, and they both just stand and bang all three rounds. Gray was past his prime already and Nate has a gigantic reach advantage over him, which plays right into Nate's game. I don't mean to completely downplay Nate's wins but they were really unimpressive and say nothing about his ability to beat very competent opposition. I see Nate being easily picked apart and TKO'd by Conor at some point during the match.

You're also overlooking the fact that McGregor will be fighting for the first time at a massive size and reach disadvantage, which is a big part of his game. This a bad fight for Conor on paper, and Conor fans don't even seem to realize it.

Nate can beat anyone on any given day. I assure you than. Gracie jui jitsu and top notch boxing

Both of these things are true.

You're also overlooking the fact that McGregor will be fighting for the first time at a massive size and reach disadvantage, which is a big part of his game. This a bad fight for Conor on paper, and Conor fans don't even seem to realize it.
that is true. Conor's reach is still pretty good even against Nate though. Nate probably has a bigger reach advantage against everyone else he faced.

You do t know who can beat who until hey fight. I k ew Matt serra couldn't beat gsp until he fucking did. Would never happen again but it still happened.
^^^^Best answer^^^^

I think they both looked bad. I just watched it so my memory is pretty fresh. Nate fought exactly the same way in the 4 fights I saw. It happened to work against Johnson because Johnson only stand and bang with him. I found that match was very unimpressive, but it won FOTN so maybe I'm in the minority.
Johnson looked bad because he could never figure out his timing and distance, and that was due to Diaz's length. That is a problem that Conor also needs to solve, and given that he's never fought anyone this size, it is fucking stupid to assume this is an easy win for Conor.

that is true. Conor's reach is still pretty good even against Nate though. Nate probably has a bigger reach advantage against everyone else he faced.

And he understands how to use it. One thing Nate Diaz is really good at is not doing too much. He kept hitting Michael Johnson with that 1-2 in his last fight over and over and over because it kept landing. He didn't need to do anything else. For all the smack talk, he is a consistent fighter who doesn't let his ego get in the way of what he's doing. He doesn't usually press people, because he doesn't have to. He is very good at controlling range. He presses you from the outside, if that makes sense. He forces you to try to adjust to his length and his long range punching. He is always just outside of his opponent's striking range. Go back and watch his fights again. He can hit people with what are traditionally short range, inside punches like hooks and uppercuts from the outside, from jab and straight range, because he's so lanky. He also doesn't get credit for how accurate of a puncher he is, because he throws punches at weird angles that to fans of more "traditional" technique look sloppy. They aren't really. Both Diaz's fight that way, and they're both successful because they throw so many punches at such odd angles.

Now take this and contrast it with Conor. Conor is used to being able to hit people from range with long punches. he wont be able to do that with Diaz because Conor isn't the taller, longer fighter. Even if he makes Diaz miss, which isn't going to be as easy as people are making it out to be, he is then going to have to step forward, something that is unnatural to Conor, to hit Diaz. It being unnatural means it isn't going to come on instinct based off of repetitive motion and muscle memory based off of hours and hours and years spent doing it in the gym. That means he is going to have to make a conscious, forced effort to do it. That means he is going to have to think about doing it. That means he is going to do it slower than someone who fights like that naturally. Maybe it's only a half a second, a tenth of a second, but those little increments of time matter in fighting. He's also going to have to step forward into shots, because Diaz is always throwing, something else he isn't used to. And Diaz will be talking the entire time. I'm not saying Conor won't win the fight. It just isn't going to be the cake walk people think it will be.

And he understands how to use it. One thing Nate Diaz is really good at is not doing too much. He kept hitting Michael Johnson with that 1-2 in his last fight over and over and over because it kept landing. He didn't need to do anything else. For all the smack talk, he is a consistent fighter who doesn't let his ego get in the way of what he's doing. He doesn't usually press people, because he doesn't have to. He is very good at controlling range. He presses you from the outside, if that makes sense. He forces you to try to adjust to his length and his long range punching. He is always just outside of his opponent's striking range. Go back and watch his fights again. He can hit people with what are traditionally short range, inside punches like hooks and uppercuts from the outside, from jab and straight range, because he's so lanky. He also doesn't get credit for how accurate of a puncher he is, because he throws punches at weird angles that to fans of more "traditional" technique look sloppy. They aren't really. Both Diaz's fight that way, and they're both successful because they throw so many punches at such odd angles.

Now take this and contrast it with Conor. Conor is used to being able to hit people from range with long punches. he wont be able to do that with Diaz because Conor isn't the taller, longer fighter. Even if he makes Diaz miss, which isn't going to be as easy as people are making it out to be, he is then going to have to step forward, something that is unnatural to Conor, to hit Diaz. It being unnatural means it isn't going to come on instinct based off of repetitive motion and muscle memory based off of hours and hours and years spent doing it in the gym. That means he is going to have to make a conscious, forced effort to do it. That means he is going to have to think about doing it. That means he is going to do it slower than someone who fights like that naturally. Maybe it's only a half a second, a tenth of a second, but those little increments of time matter in fighting. He's also going to have to step forward into shots, because Diaz is always throwing, something else he isn't used to. And Diaz will be talking the entire time. I'm not saying Conor won't win the fight. It just isn't going to be the cake walk people think it will be.
alright those are lots of interesting points and I have little to add from this other than all the factors I mentioned previously that make this fight great for Conor.

I dont see how anyone can be confident in the outcome of this fight considering the circumstances. Yknow when ronda was talking about "under the right circumstances" she could beat cain,this crazy bizzaro world last minute opponent switch pro wrestling money in the bank swerve is probably close to the kinda shit she was talking about. I would just sit back with a beer and watch what unfolds, I dunno nuthin!

I dont see how anyone can be confident in the outcome of this fight considering the circumstances. Yknow when ronda was talking about "under the right circumstances" she could beat cain,this crazy bizzaro world last minute opponent switch pro wrestling money in the bank swerve is probably close to the kinda shit she was talking about. I would just sit back with a beer and watch what unfolds, I dunno nuthin!

Liked for what goodfella69 said

Conor probably deserves to as strong as a favourite as he is but Nate has a strong skill set and it's foolish to deny that he is in fact one of the best in the world.

I actually believe that Nate can be champ if he actually takes it seriously. It seems that MMA is second to a lot of things in the Diaz camp.

I actually believe that Nate can be champ if he actually takes it seriously. It seems that MMA is second to a lot of things in the Diaz camp.

I think thats bullshit. I think Nate takes his training very seriously...he just has a style which has many flaws,which get more and more exposed over time,and he is gonna stick with what brought him to the dance. You could say that about most fighters at some point in their careers.

Nate looks good when he's on and he was definitely on in his last fight against Johnson. I am not sure how this fight is going to play out with all honesty. I could pretend that Nate doesn't have the tools to win this fight but he definitely does, I could pretend the same about Conor.

This fight really just comes down to which Nate Diaz shows up to fight......

Back