Nate Diaz is below the elite and can't beat Conor

basementdweller

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hi Sherbros. I've been thinking about the upcoming fight between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor and rewatching Diaz' fights. After watching all his fights from Thomson to Johnson, I have to say it's definitely very unlikely that Diaz will represent any kind of danger to McGregor. Worse than that, I don't think Diaz is capable of being competitive against the top fighters anymore, as he has been decisively dominated by elite competition in the past 3 years.

Diaz has very solid boxing and jiu jitsu skills. He uses his reach advantage to constantly punch opponents in the face. In the fights I saw he rarely clinched, but when he did he was successful. I only saw a single takedown from him against Josh Thomson. His BJJ is rarely used as he never tries to get into a grappling match and is more often than not on his back if the fight ever goes to the floor. He seldomly throws leg kicks, but no other kicks. He is slow and a very easy target, as he is constantly overreaching his punches and exposing himself for counters. He is vulnerable to kicks in general. Doesn't check many leg kicks and also has problems defending head kicks. He doesn't attempt takedowns and I don't know much about his wrestling.

Conor McGregor has absolutely all the tools to destroy Nate. Nate is slow, while Conor is very fast. Nate doesn't defend well against kicks, Conor throws many kicks. Nate gets punched a lot and Conor's punches are deadly. Nate doesn't shoot for takedowns and doesn't try to wrestle his way into any grappling position. Nate rarely tries clinching. If he stands and bangs with McGregor, he is going down. In all the fights I've seen he never tried anything different, so I bet this time won't be the case.

But worse than simply not being a match for McGregor, I have my doubts Nate can really be competitive against the top anymore. RDA absolutely picked him apart. Benson won all 5 rouns so I bet that was a one-sided beating too. Thomson beat him standing for two rounds until the TKO. His only wins since 2013 are Gray Maynard and Michael Johnson. Johnson looked bad against him, and they both just stand and bang all three rounds. Gray was past his prime already and Nate has a gigantic reach advantage over him, which plays right into Nate's game. I don't mean to completely downplay Nate's wins but they were really unimpressive and say nothing about his ability to beat very competent opposition. I see Nate being easily picked apart and TKO'd by Conor at some point during the match.

I can be an idiot talking shit too, so let's talk about it if you will.

Hi Sherbros.Worse than that, I don't think Diaz is capable of being competitive against the top fighters anymore, as he has been decisively dominated by elite competition in the past 3 years.

Johnson looked bad against him, and they both just stand and bang all three rounds.
Johnson was ranked very high at the time, and Nate made him look bad. The rest doesn't really matter as you already said that you're an idiot talking shit.

Nate can beat anyone on any given day. I assure you than. Gracie jui jitsu and top notch boxing

diaz-fingers-2.jpg

You do t know who can beat who until hey fight. I k ew Matt serra couldn't beat gsp until he fucking did. Would never happen again but it still happened.

Johnson was ranked very high at the time, and Nate made him look bad. The rest doesn't really matter as you already said that you're an idiot talking shit.
Nate looked very slow in that fight. Johnson was successful whenever he tried to close the distance with combinations. IMO they both looked bad.

What he said wrong?
Pretty much he summed up well.

This fight wasn't put together because of the challenge. It was made because the UFC had to find an opponent who could fight in 10 days, without ruining other cards, that wont throw the division into disarray, and that people will pay to see.

Aldo was unavailable.
Edgar was unavailable.
Cerrone just fought, and has a loss to Diaz.
Pettis has a fight booked and is coming off two losses.
Khabib has a fight booked and if McGregor beat him, people would complain that he only gets grapplers on short notice (see the reaction to the Mendes win).
Ferguson has a fight booked.

Diaz has called him out, had an impressive performance and will put on a show. That's why this is happening.

Bullshit.

Stylistically, in the striking and submission department, he's elite. He doesnt have wrestling but that would not matter against McG. This fight would be fought standing so he's one of the most elite options available along with Pettis.

This fight wasn't put together because of the challenge. It was made because the UFC had to find an opponent who could fight in 10 days, without ruining other cards, that wont throw the division into disarray, and that people will pay to see.

Aldo was unavailable.
Edgar was unavailable.
Cerrone just fought, and has a loss to Diaz.
Pettis has a fight booked and is coming off two losses.
Khabib has a fight booked and if McGregor beat him, people would complain that he only gets grapplers on short notice (see the reaction to the Mendes win).
Ferguson has a fight booked.

Diaz has called him out, had an impressive performance and will put on a show. That's why this is happening.
I'm fine with the fight, but yeah it doesn't look challenging indeed.

Bullshit.

Stylistically, in the striking and submission department, he's elite. He doesnt have wrestling but that would not matter against McG. This fight would be fought standing so he's one of the most elite options available along with Pettis.
why are you saying wrestling wouldn't matter against McGregor? Isn't wrestling the key to beat him? Just Wrestlefuck Conor to a decision? That one round McGregor lost lately was against a wrestler.

"I can be an idiot talking shit too, so let's talk about it if you will."

- this is genuinely refreshing. most sherdoggers are not even open to the possibility that they could be wrong. have a 'like' sir

"I can be an idiot talking shit too, so let's talk about it if you will."

- this is genuinely refreshing. most sherdoggers are not even open to the possibility that they could be wrong. have a 'like' sir
yeah there is no shame in being wrong, I'm way past that

Hi Sherbros. I've been thinking about the upcoming fight between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor and rewatching Diaz' fights. After watching all his fights from Thomson to Johnson, I have to say it's definitely very unlikely that Diaz will represent any kind of danger to McGregor. Worse than that, I don't think Diaz is capable of being competitive against the top fighters anymore, as he has been decisively dominated by elite competition in the past 3 years.

Diaz has very solid boxing and jiu jitsu skills. He uses his reach advantage to constantly punch opponents in the face. In the fights I saw he rarely clinched, but when he did he was successful. I only saw a single takedown from him against Josh Thomson. His BJJ is rarely used as he never tries to get into a grappling match and is more often than not on his back if the fight ever goes to the floor. He seldomly throws leg kicks, but no other kicks. He is slow and a very easy target, as he is constantly overreaching his punches and exposing himself for counters. He is vulnerable to kicks in general. Doesn't check many leg kicks and also has problems defending head kicks. He doesn't attempt takedowns and I don't know much about his wrestling.

Conor McGregor has absolutely all the tools to destroy Nate. Nate is slow, while Conor is very fast. Nate doesn't defend well against kicks, Conor throws many kicks. Nate gets punched a lot and Conor's punches are deadly. Nate doesn't shoot for takedowns and doesn't try to wrestle his way into any grappling position. Nate rarely tries clinching. If he stands and bangs with McGregor, he is going down. In all the fights I've seen he never tried anything different, so I bet this time won't be the case.

But worse than simply not being a match for McGregor, I have my doubts Nate can really be competitive against the top anymore. RDA absolutely picked him apart. Benson won all 5 rouns so I bet that was a one-sided beating too. Thomson beat him standing for two rounds until the TKO. His only wins since 2013 are Gray Maynard and Michael Johnson. Johnson looked bad against him, and they both just stand and bang all three rounds. Gray was past his prime already and Nate has a gigantic reach advantage over him, which plays right into Nate's game. I don't mean to completely downplay Nate's wins but they were really unimpressive and say nothing about his ability to beat very competent opposition. I see Nate being easily picked apart and TKO'd by Conor at some point during the match.

I agree man, but people don't want to hear it.

Conor probably deserves to as strong as a favourite as he is but Nate has a strong skill set and it's foolish to deny that he is in fact one of the best in the world.

why are you saying wrestling wouldn't matter against McGregor? Isn't wrestling the key to beat him? Just Wrestlefuck Conor to a decision? That one round McGregor lost lately was against a wrestler.

I was saying when you compare Nate to the elite of the division he lacks the wrestling aspect of the game. And since Conor would not be wrestling with him this would not matter in this particular fight. They will exchange on the feet, where Nate is pretty elite.

Back