Nate Diaz is a steal vs Dustin Poirier @ UFC 230

Nate's boxing is so overrated, he literally uses the "Homer Simpson" strategy to make it look like he outstrikes his opponents in fights, getting crushed early and taking over later on. Dustin will not gas and easily win a 3 rounder

This is a good fight for Diaz. He can box with him and Poirier may not have the wrestling game to take him down. Winnable fight for Diaz. Not easy. He could lose. But stylistically, it's a good fight for him.

I like Poirier in this fight, and would probably take him at those odds. His biggest issue is that he's chinny, but Diaz isn't a power puncher. Fighters like Michael Johnson are more of a threat to him than fighters like Nate Diaz. On top of that, Diaz does badly against wrestlers, and Poirier can wrestle.

And Poirier is on the best run of his career right now, looking better than he ever has; while Diaz is coming off the longest layoff of his career and took a crazy amount of damage in his last fight.

I woudln't be surprised if Dustin did what Conor couldn't, by finishing him. Unfortunately that'll screw up the potential Conor/Nate trilogy fight.

I'm not even convinced this fight happens tbh

Dustin wants a shot at Khabib if Conor gets injured, and Nate wants a shot at Conor if Khabib does.

I know Dustin will be down for it but Nate has not exactly been active lately.

View attachment 420935
Who’s ready to make some $$ on Nate?
I haven’t gambled on any sports since last NFL season ended but this fight is gonna make me come out of gambler’s retirement.
Absolutely zero reason for Dustin to be -210, other than Nate coming off a 2 year layoff.

Why are people hyping Dustin so much right now? Just because he TKO’d the two kings of CTE, Alvarez and Gaejthe?
Remind yourselves that Alvarez and Gaejthe beat whatever was left of each other’s chin before Dustin faced them.

Dustin got slept by the last solid boxer he faced in Michael Johnson. Plus Dustin will be at the height/reach disadvantage this time vs Nate.

Nate might take a round to warm up, but he will take over and dominate come round 2. Either a TKO win for Diaz or a clear cut 29-28 UD.

I'll bump this after the fight happens. Anyone can win any fight but your reasoning is stupid and want you to have to answer for it if you're wrong.

Other than the layoff, what’s your guys reason?

Nate just seems like a nightmare matchup for Dustin. Bigger, better chin, cardio machine and solid off his back while Dustin doesn’t have a smothering wrestling attack...

Plus the mental factor. Both times dustin got KO’d in the ufc i think it’s safe to say the emotions played a part. Conor and Michael Johnson both got in his head big time. I don’t see Dustin handling the Nate taunts and 1-2s well.

I think Dustin takes it by using the Anti Diaz gameplan.

Lots of leg kicks, and mix in TD's. Nate hasn't subbed anyone from his back since the triangle on Pellegrino (I think)

Cardio won't come into play in a 3 rounder.

I'm Diaz fan. Love them. 209. But the book is out there on how to beat both Nick and Nate. If Dustin decides to get in a firefight with Diaz, he'll lose.

Dustin hasn’t got anything for Nate, terrible match up for him but great for the fans!

I like Poirier but Nate is probably going to box the face off him .

The worst thing about Conor's legacy is that he made you idiots actually believe that Nate Diaz is a great fighter.

I seem to remember Nate choking out a guy at UFC 196 that knocked Dustin the fuck out

LOL at thinking Nate has anywhere near the power of Michael Johnson, Eddie or basically any opponent Dustin faced in the UFC.

I'm a big believer in Nate and his ability to KICK ASS, but I heard him talking the other day and he sounded really really punchdrunk. I mean, I know he's always talked a little funny but it was on a different level. I couldn't hardly understand him.
He is not an elegant speaker but he definately doesnt sound punchdrunk, its more likely he was high.

I think this is a much tougher match up for Nate than many are giving it credit for.

Dustin jumped all over this fight because it gives him an opportunity to look much better against Nate than Conor did. I think he's pretty confident.

Its a 3 rounder, Id favor Nate in a 5 round fight but by the time he finds his mark on Dustin and Porier starts to tire it will be about a wrap.

Ehhh I like Nate, big fan actually, but either guy could win this fight. I wouldn't want to put money on something this hard to predict. Maybe if Nate was a bigger dog.

Its a 3 rounder, Id favor Nate in a 5 round fight but by the time he finds his mark on Dustin and Porier starts to tire it will be about a wrap.
Ya that's the concern. I could very easily see Poirer taking rounds 1 and 2 as Nate gets his shit back together, and by the time Nate figures it out it'll be too late and the fight'll be over.

Watch Poirier wins without tiring and people say he’d beat Conor in a rematch.

I completely agree with the OP. I'm a huge Poirier fan. I can't stand either of the Diaz bro's. Stylistically, he beats Poirier on the feat every time unless Poirier can stun him with a power shot (which he's not known for).

I think people greatly underestimate the toughness of Diaz. He beat the piss out of full training camp Conor while sporting a pot belly.

Back