Nate Diaz "He’s an amateur. You’re going to put an amateur in there with pros?"

You've not satisfied my suspicion that this is still quite a high risk.

Well... but the guy he is fighting has been fighting pro for four months, and had his first amature fight 2 year ago. He's 2-0 with his first fight being against a guy who was 0-0 and his second fight against a guy who was 0-1.

That's exactly the type of fight you'd expect to see a guy with Punk's level of training to be facing in his first ever fight. The only thing that's somewhat off is that he's having that fight in the UFC, but that alone doesn't automatically make it an uneven match-up.

..But what if Keanu Reeves turns around one day and says he wants to fight in the UFC because he did a little Kung-Fu and Kickboxing while shooting the Matrix? or if Justin Bieber wants to fight because he did a little sparring with Mayweather?

Dana simply has to sign them, they'd bring in views and money also, probably 10x what CM Punk would bring.

Don't you see the point here?
Yeah, and he would. What's your point? Where's the downside?

..But what if Keanu Reeves turns around one day and says he wants to fight in the UFC because he did a little Kung-Fu and Kickboxing while shooting the Matrix? or if Justin Bieber wants to fight because he did a little sparring with Mayweather?

Dana simply has to sign them, they'd bring in views and money also, probably 10x what CM Punk would bring.

Don't you see the point here?

I doubt anybody by Mayweather fighting for UFC could bring 10x the interest that Punk brings.

But your point is .......?
If it is that UFC (or lets be honest Bellator or Rizin) would sign fights that draw attention & make money then I agree!

If I were a fighter, I think I would only be pissed with famous guys jumping the line for a title shot. Take Brock, for instance. As much as I miss him and think he was great for the sport, I know he wouldn't have gotten the shot on Randy in a serious organization.

I don't think CM Punk has what it takes to have a successful MMA carreer like Lesnar did anyway, but it's not like he's stealing anyone else's spot. He's fighting a new guy too and the UFC signs and releases fighters all the time.

Some people might get angry because signing CM Punk is practically the same as the organization declaring that its biggest interest is on money and attention, not on serious competition... but hell, I think we all should have already figured it out by now.

Wait a minute- wasn't that Brock Lesnar guy in a similar boat?

Brock Lesnar was a freak of nature and a high level wrestler in college who trained extensively for years before fighting.

CM Punk is an unathletic guy who has no fighting background who has trained for a couple of years.

You're an idiot if you try and compare the 2.

I honestly don't see what the big problem with Punk being signed is. The sport has a very long way to go before its "legitimacy" reaches the pristine level you guys are clamoring about, and Punk's presence won't impede progress in that regard.
In the meantime, he is drawing attention to MMA and presumably bringing a few new fans.
And would you guys really be shocked if he turned out to be a decent fighter? He obviously has the resources to commit himself to the best training, is probably a good athlete, and is most likely an intelligent guy. And what could be his motivation if he doesn't think he can be competitive?
With all due respect to the athletes in the UFC, it isn't the same thing as Struve being gifted a spot in the NBA. And unlike the NBA, Punk can be matched up with someone whose experience makes sense.

Diaz saying something that for once makes sense.

thumbs-up-gif.gif

Don't care about Brooks or Diaz both irrelevant.

Gall looks like he just fufillled a life long dream.

Good for him I hope he rakes it in.

UFC fighters don't get paid more because more people get drawn to a card. At this point, the UFC isn't gaining much more in terms of viewership. Everyone knows what it is. The fighters themselves will gain nothing from this guy fighting.

Tell it to the two guys that will be headlining & making PPV points that Punk won't line their pockets ;)

I honestly don't see what the big problem with Punk being signed is.

Because he'll make the sport look terrible. This isn't a James Toney like situation, where a boxer wanted to put his money where his mouth was. This is a celebrity with no fight experience getting in there. It's going to be laughable.

I've played hockey since I was a kid, but you wouldn't see the Blackhawks sign me to a contract, if I happened to be famous. A: Because I'm not a professional, and B: because my presence would embarrass the league, do to my lack of elite skill. I'd look like a fucking idiot out there, just like CM Punk is going to look like a fucking idiot in cage.

Tell it to the two guys that will be headlining & making PPV points that Punk won't line their pockets ;)

UFC isn't dumb enough to put fighters on the card with Punk that have PPV interests tied to their contracts.

UFC isn't dumb enough to put fighters on the card with Punk that have PPV interests tied to their fights.

You are crazy to think that whatever title fight headlines won't get PPV points lol

Nate definitely made some solid points there and expressed them in a pretty cogent way.

That said, I'm still a bit uncertain what a virgin nose is.

I'm guessing it means that it hasn't been penetrated by a penis.

You are crazy to think that whatever title fight headlines won't get PPV points lol

Call me crazy then because I don't think Weidman or Rockhold are getting or will get PPV shares.

Wait a minute- wasn't that Brock Lesnar guy in a similar boat?

Not compatible.

Lesnar was the NCAA SHW champ. Took the big money offer from WWE as a 22 year old.

TURNED DOWN a 40 million contract to try NFL and it wasn't a gimme spot he went through the tryouts and made the practice squad

He then waited until his non compete clause was up with WWE and that included MMA, took his skills and athleticism to MMA in K1 and destroyed and experienced all be it sub par fighter.

UFC signed him but under the stipulation he won't make a mockery of the sport and as such no favourable treatment in fact the exact opposite, fighting the former champ in his debut and destroying him but losing to a Hail Mary knee bar. His skills were undeniable as was his experience

Next up a guy with 50 pro fights a Pride, K1 and UFC vet who fought a who's who of the MMA world. Herring dismissed this pro wrestler to his own detriment finding himself dropped and bull rushed with aggression we haven't seen in the octagon since.

This is for a guy 1-1 in pro fights (a record less than Mickey Gall currently)

The HW title shot as a 2-1 fighter was certainly a business decision to strike while the irons hot. But revisionist history dismisses this title win against an 'old man' - no this is the reigning defending HW champ who left the UFC and had aspirations of unifying against the GOAT at this time in Fedor. Brock destroyed him.

Mir rematch - merked - now 4-1
Just think about that for a second
4-1 with 3 wins being 2 UFC champs abd a guy with 50 fights at the highest level (how these fights were even sanctioned is beyond me)

Next up a destroyer in Carwin 11 or 12 an 0 all first round KO's - he got his ass beat in the first but didn't look to Northcut his way out the fight came back in the second and won by submission now (5-1)

Lesnar has now won UFC fights at the highest level by decision, KO and submission showing he is a true mixed martial artist (all with a record less than Northcut at this stage)

His second bout of diverticulitis nearly killed him, litterally he was read last rights he was bad

He comes back about 30lbs lighter and gets destroyed by Velasquez and übereem (who didn't in those days)

Finishes his career at 5-3 as the highest grossing fighter ever, beating 2 former champs, undefeated KO artist and Pride vet and losing after returning from 2 near life ending illnesses

He came in, dominated and got out. The UFC threw him to the wolves so not to make a mockery of the sport but in doing so and how the results ended up they did exactly that completely undermining Lesnars achievements

But we wanna compare this run with CM PUNK who has no experience in combat, no athletic credentials, no pro MMA fights abs is getting a hand picked opponent with 2 fights not a former champion

The only comparison is the both at one stage got paid boatloads to pretend fight, the similarities end there as one was thrown in the deep end and came out swimming and the other is being taking to the learner a pool where he will likely drown in 3 inches of water.

I'm no Lesnar nuthugger and don't wanna see Punk fail miserably but it's become a bit too trendy over the years to downplay Lesnars achievements because if you apply Lesnar to Diaz statements then he his right, it is embarrassing and he did make them look like amateurs while getting paid more than everyone in the room

I like the Diaz's fights and antics in the octagon. Its hilarious and entertaining. Outside of the octagon they have the most negative outlook on everything. They never seem to have nothing positive to say. He is absolutely correct about Punk not belonging in the pros. He also has no concept of business and it's his own fault he gets paid so low. He agreed to the terms on his contract. It is all about business and Punk will bring a ton of business. He needs to try to get on that card and quit being so butthurt.

What exactly did Zuffa do to you?
How have you been hurt negatively in the past few years as a fan?
Not slamming, just asking!

Immediate rematches, Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Coerria, generic Reebok, CM Punk being signed yet telling Ben Askren to go to WSOF.

Back