Nasty Rashguard Funk

G

GPTitle**

So what do you guys do about this?

I've searched around and read lots. Baking soda is temporary, air dry outside doesn't do anything. Cold wash in the washer is useless.

I've read that freezing can work but see mixed results because it doesn't kill all the bacteria, anyone tried boiling briefly? lol

the only funk i get is usually burnt rubber or something... but generally no funk at all.. vinegar?

I just came across the vinegar in the laundry load - I will give that a shot.

One of the rashies has been heavily used over the years but the other not too much so I'm a bit surprised. I have 5 or 6 (same with shorts) so they shouldn't be this bad IMO

It only takes one time sitting in a hamper or gym bag wadded up for it to get nasty.
I had one get a slight mildew smell and I am REAL careful about letting my clothes air out are training (before they are laundered)

I did the Vinegar and OxyClean in the laundry...but i let it SOAK for a while before continuing the wash cycle.
Totally got rid of it.

Thx JKD. I will get some Oxyclean too and let it soak before a wash.

Going to do the same with my hockey gear.

This trick works EVERY TIME for a nasty rash guard:
Buy a new rash guard.

Something I started doing religiously after I noticed the smell was leaving the rash guard soaking in water overnight immediately after I get home from training. Then I just leave it hanging until laundry day.

Works perfectly for me.

I also shower everyday and use deo :p

Had the same thing, used Tide w/ Febreze Sport and it seemed to do the trick

For my Vibram Five Finger shoes I soak them in white vinegar. The longer the better.
Additionally, X-Bionic gear recommends washing their gear after every use. They say the sweat crystallizes and becomes harder to break up in the wash. These crystallized bacteria release an odor once mixed with water, hence them getting really stinky after light sweat or rain.

Vinegar soakage works for my shoes, haven't tried it on my hand wraps.

FYI...for the REALLY REALLY stinky ones I soaked them in cleaning vinegar and oxyclean for a good 6 hours then washed them with some oxy and vinegar, then a regular wash. Came out like new...just rolled in one and it didn't stink at all. Going to start tossing a bit of Oxyclean in the wash and make sure I don't let them sit around like I did before

I've never hard a rashguard smell funky after a wash. How do you get them like that? Leave them in a bag after practice for days or something?

With mine it's enough to leave 'em in the open for like 3 days before washing. They didn't stink but I could smell some faint sweat in the armpits.

I immediately started soaking them overnight after getting home from practice and that's enough.

oxyclean has worked well for me with rashies, parts of headgear, and even knee pads.

i just throw a bit in a bucket of hot water and soak it.

I've never hard a rashguard smell funky after a wash. How do you get them like that? Leave them in a bag after practice for days or something?

One of them I completely forgot about for like 4 days after practice and it was basically ruined because of smell. I would not dare wear that around anyone. Thankfully, it is perfectly fine now.

overnight in 50/50 vinegar water solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back