Naseem Hamed, do you believe his reasons for quitting?

Egotist. Frontrunner.
Supremely awkward, hit like a truck.

also, i have to say, even when fighters get broken, most of them fight on and even though diminished, they can't let go. The loss probably had a lot to do with it but the lack of desire had to have more to do with it. They were saying he was fucking off for a long time before the Barrera fight.

What's that Marvellous quote?

"It's hard to do roadwork at 5am when you sleep in silk pyjamas"

What's that Marvellous quote?

"It's hard to do roadwork at 5am when you sleep in silk pyjamas"

That's how people remember it.

The actual quote goes:

WAR
158687e6179249a2f5580daaaae9974d.jpg

All the reasons mentioned in the OP are close. And valid. Elite boxing is a mind game. When mental fortitude is gone, you’re through. At least Hamed acknowledged it. Duran’s mind could recover. He was one of a kind.

Last edited:
IIRC the documentary that followed him showed he only spared 4 rounds in prep for that fight but still flew in his barber

As someone who mutually knows his close associates and people who spoke to him, whilst he was in prison. They are true. He lost his desire to be the best BEFORE he went stateside and that topped with the affects of long term hand problems.

He has become severely underrated now. He was 35-0, 31ko, against much better opposition than modern can crushers like Wilder, yet he is almost dismissed these days.

mentally weak. He knew he couldn't beat the top guys after the Barrera fight. Why continue to fight and get further outclassed and humiliated if you are already a millionaire?

He has become severely underrated now. He was 35-0, 31ko, against much better opposition than modern can crushers like Wilder, yet he is almost dismissed these days.
He was electrifying to watch. Super high risk style.

Yeah I do. His prep for the Barrera fight was a rushed mess, but that's on him. Of course there were lots of people who just had to hate Hamed's style and attitude, so when he lost they just jumped on him never being as good as he was made out to be. Exposed against a real opponent blah blah blah

Got rich

Or how micky put it

"Got too civilized"

Since I dont know Prince cant be sure but from what I recall his talent seemed to be god given. Not that he wasnt a hard worker he was just great in that way perhaps when he lost he didn't care as most fighter would take an easy fight to say they went out with a win. Imho as I don't box.

Back