Naseem Hamed Career Recap

Have none of you considered that the reason he looked 'mentally weak' in the Barrera fight, was cos he had lost the motivation to train hard and fight?
I think this was clear for anyone to see.
Didn't he have almost a year since his last fight, and his weight had ballooned?
Now im not defending the guy as a fan, as I never liked him growing up. But I can appreciate how good he was.

If anyone is judging his skill or mental strength because of one fight, his 36th as a pro, after numerous title defences, then its just trolling.

Everyone knows the lead up to that fight, he wasn't the same fighter.
He was 30, got dominated once, his nxt fight was awful and his last. All indicators point to a weak mind.

He was 30, got dominated once, his nxt fight was awful and his last. All indicators point to a weak mind.
You could say that he had a weak mind, from what I saw he didn't like boxing. He said we wouldn't want it for his sons because it was such a hard game. That's not someone who enjoys the grind that you need to endure to be a professional boxer at the highest level. Lack of motivation made him weak.

Interesting and not far off. This elite competition is why I rank Manny over Floyd all time.

Yeah its hard not too. I still give the edge to floyd as he had the highest ring iq. Was able to adapt after losing the early rounds... hmm its close... i would have liked to have seen floyd fight prime kostya, mosley, forrest, tito, paul williams etc those would have been written in stone sll time great status victories

Yeah its hard not too. I still give the edge to floyd as he had the highest ring iq. Was able to adapt after losing the early rounds... hmm its close... i would have liked to have seen floyd fight prime kostya, mosley, forrest, tito, paul williams etc those would have been written in stone sll time great status victories
Yeah, thats the knock on Floyd, which elite fighter did he beat in their prime? Manny's resume is deeper. Many agree with you though and both opinions hold up.

I think everyone, wether it be a hobbyist, or pro, will start to become 'weak' after years and years of doing the same thing.
Not everyone is like Floyd Mayweather or Roger Federer, who can still keep the fire burning into late 30s.
That's not a weak mind. He simply lost motivation for the 'grind'.
I have no problem with that, and ive experienced it, on a hobbyist level.
Im sure it would happen even easier if you were a millionaire from It too...

I think everyone, wether it be a hobbyist, or pro, will start to become 'weak' after years and years of doing the same thing.
Not everyone is like Floyd Mayweather or Roger Federer, who can still keep the fire burning into late 30s.
That's not a weak mind. He simply lost motivation for the 'grind'.
I have no problem with that, and ive experienced it, on a hobbyist level.
Im sure it would happen even easier if you were a millionaire from It too...

I think that’s a good point that’s not brought up often enough in combat sports.

That said I think in the case of Hamed he said some kind of ‘weakness’ in terms of psyche. He had a bully mentality imo but luckily for him he was so skilled barely anyone could really stand up to him.

Fan film by me.

Nowadays people seem to act like he only had one fight - the Barrera fight which has become the poster fight for a cocky guy taking a beating, undoubtedly the most watched featherweight fight ever and probably one of the top 25 most watched boxing matches of all time. He was also in some great fights against Kelley, Medina, Sanchez.

People also forget how highly regarded he was in his prime, he ranked higher P4P than a 23 year old Floyd at the end of 2000, he was also picked by 28 out of 30 fight writers to beat Barrera and if he had fought Marquez at the time he fought Barrera he would have been an even greater favourite (Marquez is a year older).

He didn't beat anyone in the P4P top 10 but he beat Tom Johnston who was likely just outside it probably around 11-15 range and Vuyani Bungu who was probably somewhere in the 16-20 range. To be fair Roy Jones only beat one guy ranked in the P4P top 10 during his prime.

How do you think he would match up against the great fighters from his era who he didn't fight (Marquez, Morales, Pacquiao) and how do you think he would matchup with Lomachenko?

Good video, I remember watching him as a kid, I never seen anyone move like that in the ring
He was quite the character

He said we wouldn't want it for his sons because it was such a hard game. That's not someone who enjoys the grind that you need to endure to be a professional boxer at the highest level.
---
I understand his reasons.
Pro boxing takes more nerves than for example pro MMA because…………...pro boxing does have most unforgiving fanbase.:(
Each fight takes a lot of nerves due to fear.
If compare with MMA, where if you had some loss in not famous org, for example some 3-3 in smal org, no one will call you as bad if you later in larger org had some 4-0 etc.
* For example average UFC fan will not care about your mma record in some not well known smaller organisation.
* Average pro boxing fan will dig out even your first club level pro fight etc.
* With pro KB : fans more value tittles, places in more welll known tournaments and larger orgs.
They might forgive you if you had some 3-3 pro KB record in not notable org etc.
There your market value more is former tittles, places in larger tournaments and your last fights results not your record 4 years ago for example.
Ofc still like in all pro sports: major value: wievership they might get with you in their event.

* For example average UFC fan will not care about your mma record in some not well known smaller organisation.
* Average pro boxing fan will dig out even your first club level pro fight etc.

That is true, that's some show biz BS.

Can’t believe I’m going to say this, but Hamed has actually became underrated.

Maybe. I’m not a fan but I’ll admit he was a unique talent. personally I do think that defeat crushed his confidence, which was a big part of his game. He was never gonna he the same fighter

Maybe. I’m not a fan but I’ll admit he was a unique talent. personally I do think that defeat crushed his confidence, which was a big part of his game. He was never gonna he the same fighter

He was vastly overrated by all the new fans he brought with him back in the day but now it’s the opposite.

He was obviously flawed but the way some are talking in here you would think he was a can.

He was vastly overrated by all the new fans he brought with him back in the day but now it’s the opposite.

He was obviously flawed but the way some are talking in here you would think he was a can.

People seem to get the two confused:

Can’t believe I’m going to say this, but Hamed has actually became underrated.

Nah. He looked stellar knocking low level guys out, went life and death with Kelly, got schooled by Barerra and then mentally folded and ate himself silly.

I think he’s probably rated about right - an incredibly exciting KO artist who was never elite.

hameds a strange case, I think most people who fight their best when they are that hurt wouldn't be labelled as weak minded because it's when you're at your weakest that your truest self comes out. I never thought hamed was great and scoffed anytime the brits, some of whom i've respected, lauded him as one. However, he was an all time puncher. I always thought he'd be exposed and he was, I think he probably retired at the right time because he looked very beatable to me in every fight I ever saw. Mentally weak? I don't know, definitely got satisfied and complacent and didn't seem to have the same itch every top fighter feels to keep going until the wheels fall off.

also, as i've said before here, i was never a fan of the Ingle/Graham style but to me it was asinine for that short of a fighter to fight like that.

I could never wrap my head around how Naz had so much power. He always looks off balance, doesn’t plant his feet, not much muscle, average arm length, and yet he would knock people dead lmao

Back