Naseem Hamed Career Recap

SandaKicker

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Fan film by me.

Nowadays people seem to act like he only had one fight - the Barrera fight which has become the poster fight for a cocky guy taking a beating, undoubtedly the most watched featherweight fight ever and probably one of the top 25 most watched boxing matches of all time. He was also in some great fights against Kelley, Medina, Sanchez.

People also forget how highly regarded he was in his prime, he ranked higher P4P than a 23 year old Floyd at the end of 2000, he was also picked by 28 out of 30 fight writers to beat Barrera and if he had fought Marquez at the time he fought Barrera he would have been an even greater favourite (Marquez is a year older).

He didn't beat anyone in the P4P top 10 but he beat Tom Johnston who was likely just outside it probably around 11-15 range and Vuyani Bungu who was probably somewhere in the 16-20 range. To be fair Roy Jones only beat one guy ranked in the P4P top 10 during his prime.

How do you think he would match up against the great fighters from his era who he didn't fight (Marquez, Morales, Pacquiao) and how do you think he would matchup with Lomachenko?

I think Marquez was too fast and too solid fundamentally to lose to him. IDK how a match with Pac would've gone, but it would have been awesome. I'm inclined to think Pac would've moved forward and eaten him up, but Naseem wasn't exactly easy to hit so IDK. I think he likely could've beaten Morales. I think Loma would counter him all day and make him look bad.

Hate to say it but Pacman gets put to sleep by Hamed, too much aggression by two guys colliding, Hamed clearly had more power than Manny and Manny back then wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He'd get caught by Naseem.

Last edited:
Hate to say it but Paan gets put to sleep by Hamed, too much aggression by two guys colliding, Hamed clearly had more power than Manny and Manny back then wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

I suspect that will be an unpopular opinion but I’d lean towards agreeing with you.

Pacquiao was too predictable when he first came on the scene, he had one speed, full steam ahead straight at the oppponent, very limited shot selection.

Hamed an under rated boxing IQ and he generally liked to take a decent look at his opponents for the first few rounds, which leads me to think he wouldn’t get blown out like Marquez almost did in the first round of their first fight.

The main thing Hamed would have going against him in my opinion is I’m not sure how he would handle fighting the number one pound for pound fighter in the world who people would say was going to knock him out.

neither hamed or pac were very well rounded or versatile, hamed definitely had the power to short circuit manny, and manny never was the most thoughtful guy. the one thing i thought would beat hamed, said it then, say it now, is a good, well taught fighter who won't fall for the bs. manny isn't particularly good technically, of course you give his a target and he'll punch till the cows come home, problem with a freakish puncher like hamed is that he would be landing his best shots. Marquez would probably fare better but i'm not as familiar with him as i am with manny and nas. I do think nas can lose against any solid, experienced fighter, just like he lost to barrera.

I think Marquez was too fast and too solid fundamentally to lose to him. IDK how a match with Pac would've gone, but it would have been awesome. I'm inclined to think Pac would've moved forward and eaten him up, but Naseem wasn't exactly easy to hit so IDK. I think he likely could've beaten Morales. I think Loma would counter him all day and make him look bad.
Could Marquez easily survive some bombs from Prince Naseem? He always gets hit and he survived hard shots from Pac and others but Naseem had scary power at 126.

Could Marquez easily survive some bombs from Prince Naseem? He always gets hit and he survived hard shots from Pac and others but Naseem had scary power at 126.
I never said it would be easy, but if we made this happen with a time machine I'd feel confident betting on Marquez. Pac was knocking guys out left and right at super bantamweight and featherweight, too. He didn't stop putting everybody down until he moved up to welter.

All those guys would have beat Hamed. Some by KO. Hamed was simply never that good. No highlight reel of Hamed beating bums is ever going to change this.

Laughably underrated. long time undefeated lineal champion, beat a number of former wc's and his only loss was a decision to a hall of famer who he took lightly.

All those guys would have beat Hamed. Some by KO. Hamed was simply never that good. No highlight reel of Hamed beating bums is ever going to change this.
NABr7f0.gif

neither hamed or pac were very well rounded or versatile, hamed definitely had the power to short circuit manny, and manny never was the most thoughtful guy. the one thing i thought would beat hamed, said it then, say it now, is a good, well taught fighter who won't fall for the bs. manny isn't particularly good technically, of course you give his a target and he'll punch till the cows come home, problem with a freakish puncher like hamed is that he would be landing his best shots. Marquez would probably fare better but i'm not as familiar with him as i am with manny and nas. I do think nas can lose against any solid, experienced fighter, just like he lost to barrera.
Nas would lose to Marquez but smoke Manny with too much firepower.

Manny is way more accomplished but the big punch can make that inconsequential. Styles make fights and all

Fan film by me.

Nowadays people seem to act like he only had one fight - the Barrera fight which has become the poster fight for a cocky guy taking a beating, undoubtedly the most watched featherweight fight ever and probably one of the top 25 most watched boxing matches of all time. He was also in some great fights against Kelley, Medina, Sanchez.

People also forget how highly regarded he was in his prime, he ranked higher P4P than a 23 year old Floyd at the end of 2000, he was also picked by 28 out of 30 fight writers to beat Barrera and if he had fought Marquez at the time he fought Barrera he would have been an even greater favourite (Marquez is a year older).

He didn't beat anyone in the P4P top 10 but he beat Tom Johnston who was likely just outside it probably around 11-15 range and Vuyani Bungu who was probably somewhere in the 16-20 range. To be fair Roy Jones only beat one guy ranked in the P4P top 10 during his prime.

How do you think he would match up against the great fighters from his era who he didn't fight (Marquez, Morales, Pacquiao) and how do you think he would matchup with Lomachenko?

Thanks for the video. I watched it on YouTube and put a like. If you make more I'd like to see them.

Thanks for the video. I watched it on YouTube and put a like. If you make more I'd like to see them.

Thanks, planning on doing one like this on big George’s comeback and a geeky stats based one on Pernell Whittaker’s boxing style at some point.

Thanks, planning on doing one like this on big George’s comeback and a geeky stats based one on Pernell Whittaker’s boxing style at some point.
Cool. I doubt you want to take requests but I'd love a career highlight on Felix Trinidad lol.

Back