NASA scientist warns Earth is due for 'extinction-level' event

mcveteran81

Veteran
Banned
Reaction score
Link Source : http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016...-earth-is-due-for-extinction-level-event.html

Snippets from article :

"A NASA scientist is warning that Earth is due for an “extinction-level” event like a comet or asteroid strike — and claims there won’t be anything we can do to stop it.

Joseph Nuth, an award-winning scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, told attendees during Monday’s annual American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco that policymakers should start preparing for such a possible cataclysmic strike, despite the extremely long odds of it happening.

“But on the other hand, they are the extinction-level events, things like dinosaur killers, they’re 50 to 60 million years apart, essentially,” Nuth said. “You could say, of course, we’re due, but it’s a random course at that point.”

Making matters even worse is Nuth’s claim that humanity isn’t close to being prepared for such a threat, The Guardian reported.

“The biggest problem, basically, is there’s not a hell of a lot we can do about it at the moment,” Nuth said."

Oh silly NASA predictive programming is for kids.

Anyways Discuss.

Not shocked. I just hope that if it happens, we aren't told beforehand.

That ain't fun...I'd rather have like a zombie apocalypse....
p178356_d_v8_aa.jpg

just give me 30 more years until i cant get it up no more and then let the bastard astroid come, i won't give a fuck.

I thought this thread was pertaining to the gamma ray burst set to hit the planet on the 26th...

That's why we should be trying to colonize mars. Being nearly 50 years since we landed a man on the moon and we still haven't landed a man on mars, pull your finger out eggheads.

You know with all those Billions AAAANNNNDDDD Billions of dollars they get each year, you would think *they* might just know something....
They do..but they won't tell us

That's why we should be trying to colonize mars. Being nearly 50 years since we landed a man on the moon and we still haven't landed a man on mars, pull your finger out eggheads.

Implying Mars is inhabitable?

The one thing I think everyone is disregarding is surface level extinction would be awful, but we have technology to live underground. Yes, that's an awful existence in any state. It is possible though.

The moon landing was a hoax...don't you find it to be weird that we haven't gone back in so long, with being better equipped and all?

It's a lot more likely that we off ourselves from nuclear war or climate change. Let's tackle those first, ok?

Link Source : http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016...-earth-is-due-for-extinction-level-event.html

Snippets from article :

"A NASA scientist is warning that Earth is due for an “extinction-level” event like a comet or asteroid strike — and claims there won’t be anything we can do to stop it.

Joseph Nuth, an award-winning scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, told attendees during Monday’s annual American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco that policymakers should start preparing for such a possible cataclysmic strike, despite the extremely long odds of it happening.

“But on the other hand, they are the extinction-level events, things like dinosaur killers, they’re 50 to 60 million years apart, essentially,” Nuth said. “You could say, of course, we’re due, but it’s a random course at that point.”

Making matters even worse is Nuth’s claim that humanity isn’t close to being prepared for such a threat, The Guardian reported.

“The biggest problem, basically, is there’s not a hell of a lot we can do about it at the moment,” Nuth said."

Oh silly NASA predictive programming is for kids.

Anyways Discuss.

I believe we'll see such things in the great tribulation when God pours out His wrath on earth. Huge mountain ablaze thrown into the sea, and Wormwood a great star blazing like a torch, hail and fire rains down on earth. Interesting to speculate what it could be but an asteroid impact I don't think is out of the question.

The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

You know with all those Billions AAAANNNNDDDD Billions of dollars they get each year, you would think *they* might just know something....
Half is dedicated amateurs doing nightly sky surveys, of which I've been a part.
Half is professional.
We'll probably know if something big is coming, probably a month to a year ahead of time, and maybe we'll even be able to do something about it, if we continue to fund science.

I believe we'll see such things in the great tribulation when God pours out His wrath on earth. Huge mountain ablaze thrown into the sea, and Wormwood a great star blazing like a torch, hail and fire rains down on earth. Interesting to speculate what it could be but an asteroid impact I don't think is out of the question.

The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

I'm very familiar with these verses, in fact, these along with a couple of others which are about the same calamity are the only biblical verses that I can quote almost word for word

I for one await this grande future

fallout-two-column-01-ps4-eu-05Jun15

It's a lot more likely that we off ourselves from nuclear war or climate change. Let's tackle those first, ok?
A full blow nuclear exchange is extremely unlikely due to the knowledge that those that yield the weapons have about their effects on a global level. You simply couldn't nuke an entire country and "win" in the long run

The moon landing was a hoax...don't you find it to be weird that we haven't gone back in so long, with being better equipped and all?
Clearly it's because the earth is flat, and the "moon" is just a spotlight hovering over us. God's flashlight, maybe.

Back