NASA brings Voyager 2 fully back online, 11.5 billion miles from Earth

It's a radio wave, so it travels at c.
So, 'c' being the speed of light?

Radio Waves: "They have frequencies from 300 GHz to as low as 3 kHz, and corresponding wavelengths from 1 millimeter to 100 kilometers. Like all other electromagnetic waves, radio waves travel at the speed of light."

Space is lame and voyager is lame

"Oh derr looks like we found some helium or some some radiation. Oh shit looks we found some dry ice!"

Like shut the fuck up voyager. Find some aliens you loser

Is it really only 76,000 years? That's not really a long time, it just seems like a long time because the human lifespan is like 70 years.
76,000 years is a long time. Was Jesus not born 2,019 years ago? The Earth is about 4.543 billion years old. Same for the other planets and 99.9% of meteorites. This one - NWA 7325, is closer to 5 billion years old. It predates the Sun.
nwa7325-4.jpg

I just saw an article that says there's this radio burst signal that runs in 16 day cycles of 4 days on and 12 days off and repeats.

I just saw an article that says there's this radio burst signal that runs in 16 day cycles of 4 days on and 12 days off and repeats.
Story: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ding-signals-to-earth-in-steady-16-day-cycles

"Something in Deep Space Is Sending Signals to Earth in Steady 16-Day Cycles"
. Scientists have discovered the first fast radio burst that beats at a steady rhythm, and the mysterious repeating signal is coming from the outskirts of another galaxy.

^ I think that's what I read. They ruled out one natural source theory based on the cycle duration.

So, 'c' being the speed of light?

Radio Waves: "They have frequencies from 300 GHz to as low as 3 kHz, and corresponding wavelengths from 1 millimeter to 100 kilometers. Like all other electromagnetic waves, radio waves travel at the speed of light."

Yup.

what type of radio do you have than sends signals 11.5 billion miles away?

Shine a laser into the sky. Some of those photons, not many, will travel billions of miles.

what type of radio do you have than sends signals 11.5 billion miles away?
Seriously.

I am old enough to remember when your radio was your main device for music in your home and if you moved it from one room to the other the signal would fade and disappear. You had to leave it in the right few places as the signal would not reach.

Well your cell phone isn't nuclear powered.

Why they not sharing that tech d'oh?

I can just imagine the lineups for the IPhone11 powered by nuclear fusion model. You only need to recharge once a millennia.

Sometimes it's like I feel it flying out there. It's from us, and it's flying there in interstellar space. It's a hard feeling to explain, but it's like I imagine it flying out there, and I feel it. Incredible if we made contact with it again. We should probably send one at least every 5 years.

I have a question. Considering this thing is traveling very fast, what's it's apparent age in relation to us on earth? I know it's not traveling at the speed of light, but just curious.

Also, let's say we are capable of sending something at the speed light. Let's say we record it traveling for 2 years our time. When it comes back, would it only feel like it has been in flight for a few days?
Not flying fast enough for any of this to be a relevant question.

Yes, to the second question.

So I recall watching some science special where they explained acceleration in space could be near endless with a small solar power thruster booster.

Since there is no friction in space, then once an object achieves a speed it will continue at that speed (like a satellite) and every subsequent thrust from a booster of some sort is just additional energy that translates into speed.

So as long as your thruster has energy (small solar collector) and can give a boost every X, it will just keep accelerating without any top speed. Since their is no friction in space the object will not be subjected to any more stresses due to a faster V a slower speed. It just keeps accelerating and accelerating as long as it does not hit anything or have a malfunction.

I find that near infinite acceleration concept interesting if I understand it correctly.

So I recall watching some science special where they explained acceleration in space could be near endless with a small solar power thruster booster.

Since there is no friction in space, then once an object achieves a speed it will continue at that speed (like a satellite) and every subsequent thrust from a booster of some sort is just additional energy that translates into speed.

So as long as your thruster has energy (small solar collector) and can give a boost every X, it will just keep accelerating without any top speed. Since their is no friction in space the object will not be subjected to any more stresses due to a faster V a slower speed. It just keeps accelerating and accelerating as long as it does not hit anything or have a malfunction.

I find that near infinite acceleration concept interesting if I understand it correctly.

Nah, you hit a wall with the speed of light.

Nothing moves faster that we've ever observed and putting it in a medium that should boost its speed (because its moving the same direction) does Jack shit. Shrug.

It wouldn't really be infinite acceleration. It's just a constant acceleration. Well... until you get close to the speed of light.

Seriously.

I am old enough to remember when your radio was your main device for music in your home and if you moved it from one room to the other the signal would fade and disappear. You had to leave it in the right few places as the signal would not reach.

Why they not sharing that tech d'oh?

I can just imagine the lineups for the IPhone11 powered by nuclear fusion model. You only need to recharge once a millennia.

Unlike your radio antenna that can pick up signals from every direction, the radio antenna that they use to receive info from space probes are like the really old satellite tv dishes. They have to be pointed in a direction and only receive info from a very narrow beam pattern.

It wouldn't really be infinite acceleration. It's just a constant acceleration. Well... until you get close to the speed of light.
Hmmm.

So you get this constant acceleration due to added thrust. Ok that makes sense.

But now you have approached the speed of light and you are moving at that constant speed. You hit the thruster, that energy is expelled, so where does it go if not into more additive acceleration??

Unlike your radio antenna that can pick up signals from every direction, the radio antenna that they use to receive info from space probes are like the really old satellite tv dishes. They have to be pointed in a direction and only receive info from a very narrow beam pattern.
Wait are you saying my antenna is better and easier to pick up the signal with and yet I move it from one place in the room to another and the signal dies and they can hit that satellite without fail so very far away?

A lot more than that to be sure..

(From Wiki again)

100 billion planets
The Milky Way contains between 100 and 400 billion stars and at least 100 billion planets. An exact figure would depend on counting the number of very-low-mass stars, which are difficult to detect, especially at distances of more than 300 ly (90 pc) from the Sun.

Yeah exactly I said more than 100.

Back