Narcos on Netflix

The first two episodes definitely are not in the 90s.

The season is already done. Went from the 70's to the 90's. No George Jung unless he shows up to testify against Lehder.

Checked out the first episode. Pretty good. One thing is bugging the hell out of me though. The absolute OVERKILL use of narration by the lead. Not only does he never shut up, his voice and "super cool" attitude is grating as fuck. It's a shame, because the show is fine, and doesn't really need to lead the audience by the hand in such a lazy way.

So I gotta ask, does this continue? Do I have to suffer through "Mr. Cool" walking me through each episode, or do they calm the fuck down with that shit?

Other than that, I liked it.

Checked out the first episode. Pretty good. One thing is bugging the hell out of me though. The absolute OVERKILL use of narration by the lead. Not only does he never shut up, his voice and "super cool" attitude is grating as fuck. It's a shame, because the show is fine, and doesn't really need to lead the audience by the hand in such a lazy way.

So I gotta ask, does this continue? Do I have to suffer through "Mr. Cool" walking me through each episode, or do they calm the fuck down with that shit?

No it won

The show is definitely good enough to suffer through the too cool for school attitude. It is narrated by a CIA operative who was involved in the Pablo Escobar case. That is as cool as it gets.

I binged watched this show the first weekend it came out and I can't for the life of me understand the complaints about the narration.

It was meshed into the show properly and helps provide context. An American audience may get tired of having to read so much of the subtitles for extended period of times so it breaks up that requirement nicely.

This show is going to be a major hit. This is easily the 2nd best Netflix Original behind House of Cards. House of Cards is still a great show but I think it peaked already at season 2.

I don't mind the delivery of it as much as it kinda bothers me that it's clearly derived from Scorsese's style.

I liked the series and can't understand the complaints of narration. I give it a solid 4 of five stars.

Okay, here is my review.

As a Spanish speaking man, I was not effected by the amount of Spanish spoken in the film but, my gf would not watch the show with me as she doesn't like subtitles. I will say the actor portraying Wagner has an ineffective Colombian accent. My family is from Uruguay so I know my accents pretty well.

I was very happy with the casting and acting overall. Steve Murphy's voice does get a little monotonous at times. I would prefer less narration and more character development.

I like the build up they did with pablo's character.

I am curious how Colombians feel about the Ochoa's being portrayed as soft when they are basically the most ruthless Colombians stateside.

8/10

Okay, here is my review.

As a Spanish speaking man, I was not effected by the amount of Spanish spoken in the film but, my gf would not watch the show with me as she doesn't like subtitles. I will say the actor portraying Wagner has an ineffective Colombian accent. My family is from Uruguay so I know my accents pretty well.

I like the actor, but why would you hire a Brazilian to play a Colombian? I guess the predominantly English-speaking audience doesn't really notice. My gringo ears thought he sounded pretty good, but apparently he didn't even speak Spanish beforehand.

I like the actor, but why would you hire a Brazilian to play a Colombian? I guess the predominantly English-speaking audience doesn't really notice. My gringo ears thought he sounded pretty good, but apparently he didn't even speak Spanish beforehand.

Leguizamo, shakira and the big tits from modern family are examples of columbian accents.

It is a really minor thing to nitpick at though, I admit.

Good show, don't mind the narration but a cant stand the subtitles. If I wanted to read I would pick up a book

the whole character of Pablo Escobar has been romanticized by american media, its like he had a great publicist... the real bosses of the Colombian traficking in the 80s were the Ochoa brothers, sure Escobar had some bad ass power but if the Ochoas didnt want to deal with something they would send "their guy" Escobar, they would have laughed seeing how the media wants to paint Escobar as the biggest power in Colombia trafficking.

If you watch the documentary Cocaine Cowboys (also on Netflix) watch the bald american guy telling the stories about traficking in the 80s and he said something like "I didnt know who Escobar was but I knew who the Ochoa brothers were" maybe not his exact words but he says something like that as if we were all wrong about who the real bosses were among the Colombians

If you watch the documentary Cocaine Cowboys (also on Netflix) watch the bald american guy telling the stories about traficking in the 80s and he said something like "I didnt know who Escobar was but I knew who the Ochoa brothers were" maybe not his exact words but he says something like that as if we were all wrong about who the real bosses were among the Colombians

Yeah, but at the same time, you're also lending more credit to some random American trafficker, over the CIA, Media, and others. Who is to say what story is "fact", and who the real big players were?

Pablo Escobar wasn't some chump, just because Cocaine Cowboys didn't acknowledge him as much as the rest of the world did.

Yeah, but at the same time, you're also lending more credit to some random American trafficker, over the CIA, Media, and others. Who is to say what story is "fact", and who the real big players were?

Pablo Escobar wasn't some chump, just because Cocaine Cowboys didn't acknowledge him as much as the rest of the world did.

I never said Escobar was a chump by any means (he clearly wasnt), but I do think the media has romanticized his character as if he was the "biggest" power in Colombia traficking and I dont think he was. The guy I mentioned was not the only time I heard that Escobar as powerful as he was, was not the biggest one, if you watch the documentary the guy talking wasnt just anybody from the streets, he was convicted for carrying TONS of cocaine in the US. He was "in the middle" of the whole 80s drug traficking so yeah I give him more credibility than all the media telling these stories simply because it sells to romaticize Escobar's character

I never said Escobar was a chump by any means (he clearly wasnt), but I do think the media has romanticized his character as if he was the "biggest" power in Colombia traficking and I dont think he was. The guy I mentioned was not the only time I heard that Escobar as powerful as he was, was not the biggest one, if you watch the documentary the guy talking wasnt just anybody from the streets, he was convicted for carrying TONS of cocaine in the US. He was "in the middle" of the whole 80s drug traficking so yeah I give him more credibility than all the media telling these stories simply because it sells to romaticize his character

Are you basing your entire opinion on one documentary?

I'm not saying the guy is lying, but his view would be skewed in favour of whoever he worked for. It was quite a large network, and the words of one drug trafficker working for one side, does not outweigh or discredit the vast amount of other testamony and accounts from other folks "in the middle of it" who say otherwise.

I bet you would get a different account from George Jung for instance.

Are you basing your entire opinion on one documentary?

I'm not saying the guy is lying, but his view would be skewed in favour of whoever he worked for. It was quite a large network, and the words of one drug trafficker working for one side, does not outweigh or discredit the vast amount of other testamony and accounts from other folks "in the middle of it" who say otherwise.

I bet you would get a different account from George Jung for instance.

sure everybody would have their own point of view based on their own perspective/side ok, and everybody will have their own opinion as well. As I said no Im not basing my entire argument only on Cocaine Cowboys. Its clear you have your own opinion and I have mine, ok this is a forum to put opinions right and thats that.

If you watched the show they did a pretty good job of explaining the differences in philosophy between Pablo and the Ochoas and also why Pablo was so well known.

Because of this thread I decided to start watching the series today and currently am about to watch episode 5. I really like it, and at first was annoyed by the narration but have come to tolerate it. I do love how they spliced in real footage from that era into the show.

Finale pissed me off. I didn't think they'd be so shameless as to make this have multiple seasons. Just kill the cab!

WTF!?! I saw it and with that ending I really thought they were planing another season!
Now I am kind of pissed. Damn you Matt!

Back