Television Narcos is back! (no spoilers)

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Narcos Mexico Season Two was released today.

What are the chances Scott McNairy loses his head again?

fargo-301-8.gif

killing-them-softly-img07.jpg

I watched the first season of Narcos a long time ago. Is Narcos Mexico a totally different show with a different first season than Narcos or is it season two of the original Narcos and just takes place in a different setting kinda like The Wire?

Is Narcos Mexico a totally different show with a different first season than Narcos or is it season two of the original Narcos and just takes place in a different setting kinda like The Wire?

There were 3 seasons of Narcos. Narcos: Mexico was originally going to be Season 4. It's the same show but since the focus switched from the Columbian cartel to the Mexican, they added the subtitle.

There were 3 seasons of Narcos. Narcos: Mexico was originally going to be Season 4. It's the same show but since the focus switched from the Columbian cartel to the Mexican, they added the subtitle.
That's what I though. So is the original Narcos over? I really liked season 1 not sure why i never watched the rest. Maybe I'll have to do that. Also how does Mexico stack up to the original?

That's what I though. So is the original Narcos over?

The first 2 seasons of Narcos was all about Pablo Escobar. If you only watched Season 1 you should definitely watch the rest. Season 3 was about the aftermath of Escobar's death.

Season 4, since they switched from Columbia to Mexico, they added the subtitle. On a technical level the show is just as well done IMO but whether or not you like it as much depends on if you think the story is as interesting as the rise and fall of Pablo Escobar in Season 1 and 2, which is what made the series so popular.

I actually like this guys story better than Pablo

That's what I though. So is the original Narcos over? I really liked season 1 not sure why i never watched the rest. Maybe I'll have to do that. Also how does Mexico stack up to the original?
Season 1 and 2 followed Pablo Escobar misadventures and the two agents who pursued him until his death.

Season 3 followed one of the agents (Pedro Pascal) as he took down the Cali Cartel.

Season 4 was supposed to be about Pascal being recruited to Mexico to take on their cartels. But he got famous. He was offered a co-starring role with Denzel Washington and now he stars in the Mandalorian.

So the producers kept the Mexican concept and followed the Sinaloa Cartel and their torture of DEA agent Kiki Camarena for Season 4 but it was Rambo 2'd and renamed into Narcos: Mexico with an almost entirely new cast. There are a couple of recurring characters for Narcos prime but they weren't major characters. Narcos: Mexico is a prequel to Narcos prime.

Edit:
Season 2 has more familiar faces.

Last edited:
The first 2 seasons of Narcos was all about Pablo Escobar. If you only watched Season 1 you should definitely watch the rest. Season 3 was about the aftermath of Escobar's death.

Season 4, since they switched from Columbia to Mexico, they added the subtitle. On a technical level the show is just as well done IMO but whether or not you like it as much depends on if you think the story is as interesting as the rise and fall of Pablo Escobar in Season 1 and 2, which is what made the series so popular.
I liked the Escobar season more because Escobar was more of a hot head and anarchist. He also had a two charismatic agents chasing him which added to the drama.

The Cali Cartel had their moments and Matias Varela was great as the enforcer who doesn't use guns.

Diego Luna plays a more reserved, corporate type. He didn't really have a "good guy" foil to chase him. And really until the last couple of episodes, he really only faced took on drug guys who were worse than him. So it was "difficult" to root against him.

Last edited:
Escobar was more of a hot head and anarchist. He also had a two charismatic agents chasing him which added to the drama.

Diego Luna plays a more reserved, corporate type. He didn't really have a "good guy" foil to chase him. And really until the last couple of episodes, he really only faced took on drug guys who were worse than him. So it was "difficult" to root against him.

I don't think anything will top the end of season 2 when it all comes down for him. When he goes to see his dad etc... Narcos: Mexico is still really good though.

I liked the Escobar season more because Escobar was more of a hot head and anarchist. He also had a two charismatic agents chasing him which added to the drama.

The Cali Cartel had their moments and Matias Varela was great as the enforcer who doesn't use guns.

One reason I didnt like Narco's Mexico also, plus they toned down on the violence. I hope Mexico expands to the other cartels or goes into the story of EL Chapo.

One reason I didnt like Narco's Mexico also, plus they toned down on the violence. I hope Mexico expands to the other cartels or goes into the story of EL Chapo.
Season 2 is about the DEA's pursuit of the men who killed and tortured Kiki Camarena.

Maybe Season 3 will follow El Chapo and hopefully someone puts a bullet in his brain before then.

Season 2 is about the DEA's pursuit of the men who killed and tortured Kiki Camarena.

Maybe Season 3 will follow El Chapo and hopefully someone puts a bullet in his brain before then.
I didnt like Narcos Mexico also because of the lack of banging hahaha I was waiting for the whole season to see that Mexican girl undress haha , I liked the way they made Pablo large than life in the first 2 Narcos and also all the arching characters in seasons 1-3 like Pacho.

Blazing & watching now .thx ts I didn't know this came out allready.

It’s better in some ways. I find myself admiring or closer to the main character Felix than I do characters in Narcos. It’s roughly same overall imo, quality as a whole.
source.gif

It’s better in some ways. I find myself admiring or closer to the main character Felix than I do characters in Narcos. It’s roughly same overall imo, quality as a whole.
source.gif
His last scene of the season was great. He showed a ton of charisma and insight into his thinking. I wish that was fleshed out more in the rest of the series.

I didnt like Narcos Mexico also because of the lack of banging hahaha I was waiting for the whole season to see that Mexican girl undress haha , I liked the way they made Pablo large than life in the first 2 Narcos and also all the arching characters in seasons 1-3 like Pacho.
I finished the season (cause I have that kind of time).

You may be getting your wish. I don't think this is a spoiler. But I will highlight it anyway.

At the end of the seasons, the shows usually give a tease for the upcoming season. At the end of this season, they teased El Chapo taking down his rivals in Sinaloa. Right now, they have an uneasy partnership.

Binged the entire season the past two days. Great stuff as usual but it's also interesting how much artistic license they take with the series versus reality. The show is definitely more inspired by than an accurate portrayal of history and if you remember that, it's such a fun ride.

Diego Luna was great as Gallardo again and it always amazes me just how dumb organized criminals can be, not him but the others in the plazas. I guess that's the power and money polluting their minds so much they feel they are invincible. What this series does so well is humanize absolute monsters and give them depth. So well that sometimes you actually root for them a bit like I was doing with Acosta and El Chapo. I didn't know who it was but after reading about it around the internet, they really shouldn't have cast that rapper. His acting was fucking awful.

That shit with Palma's family was fucking too cold blooded. Damn.

Also worth mentioning for those who've seen the original three seasons but not the Mexico seasons is that the Mexico seasons are essentially prequels and everything happened there before Pablo got taken down and the Cali cartel took over. I need to rewatch the entire series again.

I’m one episode in to the current season. Great so far. I could have sworn that white bald/long hair Colombian dude was killed last season. Guess not.

Back