Naoya Inoue is hands down the FOTY

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by cuban23, Dec 30, 2014.

1. cuban23

cuban23 Black Belt

Naoya Inoue is my FOTY. I'm switching my pick from Kovalev to him.

I consider Narvaez to be a great champion. His only loss was to Donaire, in a fight where he made Donaire look incredibly bad and vulnerable. Meanwhile, Inoue moves up two weight classes to fight him and absolutely demolishes him. Inoue is a rare talent.

Recapping his great year:

He wins the WBC belt from Adrian Hernandez. Beats up Kokietgym. Then moves up two weight class to fight one longest reigning champions in Omar Narvaez. Whose only lose came against Donaire in 2011. He demolishes him.

What separates his year from Kovalev is that he faced better competition. Kovalev dominated all his opponents, but his most high profile opponent was Hopkins.

What separates him from Crawford is his domination over all of his opponents and the fact that he fought bigger guys.

Crawford fought small guys the entire year, and he was looking so bad against Gamboa until his power and size advantage won him the fight.

He's nowhere near as talented as Inoue, he gets hit far more often and he's going to be in trouble when he moves up in weight against fighters as big as him where he can't just use his size and power to bail him out like it did against Gamboa.

So Inoue is FOTY. Japan has a new star.

2. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

boxing hipster here.

3. XCuTioNeR

XCuTioNeR Mundo Hispano FECARBOX Champion

Narvaez was a 40 year old JBW who's only name on his resume was Donaire.

4. cuban23

cuban23 Black Belt

Donaire looked really bad against this old man. Meanwhile Inoue dominated him. No one has ever made Narvaez look this bad. Is it possible that he got old overnight? It's possible, but it takes a great fighter to expose that.

Sometimes you just notice great talent when you see it. Donaire was not a great talent, Inoue is.

Crawford is not a great talent. He has skills, but his power and size advantage are what separated him from the rest of 135. I mean he was 153 lbs on fight night! Funny how everyone mentions Canelo's size during fight night but we didn't hear a peep when it came to Crawford. He was getting lit up by a much smaller fighter and his only knockout this year came against that smaller fighter. Inoue on the other hand is a great talent with 3 knockout wins this year.

5. Chunky

Chunky White Belt

Narvaez had a very good performance in his last fight against a good opponent who gave him trouble in their first fight. He hadn't lost a step going into this fight.

6. Cocakillbana

Cocakillbana Black Belt

A lot of people are calling him fighter of the year and it doesn't make much sense to me.

If you've been following Narvaez over the last couple years you could clearly see he's on the way out. Fortunate to have gotten the decision to Orucuta in the first fight. Samartlek Kokietgym is a C fighter at best, a true gimme, and Adrian Hernandez is a solid win, but nothing special.

The Samartlek win is rubbish, so basically be beat a fading Narvaez and Hernandez. That's the resume of the fighter of the year? Really? Pacquiao beat a consensus top 10 P4P guy and Algieri. Narvaez and Hernandez > Bradley and Algieri? Ha!

Crawford's year was quite easily better. Faded Burns and faded Narvaez offset. Gamboa and Beltran are clearly superior to Adrian Hernandez and fuckin' Samartlek Kokietgym.

7. SuwoopBangin

SuwoopBangin Praise Be Unto The Based

dude, inoue isn't cuban...

8. ssx

ssx Brown Belt

I was pushing for an underdog in Axeman Walters, but after the way he destroyed Narvaez, IMO Naoya Inoue is clearly the FOTY.

9. Rozwell

Rozwell Banned Banned

The kid is 21 and that was his 9th pro fight. He's basically gone from complete unknown to fringe p4p. No one in boxing has had a year like that. FOTY in my book. More impressive than Crawford in my eyes.

Unfortunately, much like in the UFC, Asian brothas can't get no love. This thread is proof.

10. Rozwell

Rozwell Banned Banned

You lack perspective. Manny Pacquaio entered the year an elite talent. He only beat fighters around his perceived level. Inoue was nobody, and destroys the consensus number one guys at two different weights. Completely blows them out of the water.

Sorry, but that tops beating two guys you were supposed to beat.

11. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

I wholeheartedly agree with Cuban. Kovalev's year was not as impressive as people make it out to be. I think only Crawford can compare.

12. cuban23

cuban23 Black Belt

I'll give you that Samartlek is rubbish, but Hernandez and Narvaez are not. Narvaez looked a lot better against Orucuta in a rematch and he's been one of the longest reigning champions of the decade. Donaire, in his prime, couldn't even come close to doing this to a 'faded' Narvaez. Hernandez was also a very good, young champion.

What separates Inoue from Crawford is the fashion in which he won his fights.

Crawford faced Burns, who is garbage and was lucky to hold the belt. But he didn't dominate him. He won clearly, I had it 8-4. Then against a much smaller opponent in Gamboa he was getting absolutely schooled until his size and his power took over the fight. He didn't look all that spectacular against Pacquiao's sparring partner Beltran. It was a clear victory, he won every round but it was a boring performance.

Inoue crushed everyone in front of him, didn't lose a single round, moved up two weight classes to fight Narvaez and treated him like he was a nobody.

Crawford on the other hand had a huge size advantage over all of his opponents. Are we forgetting that he came in at 153 lbs against Gamboa? The guy is beating up midgets he's way too big for the weight class and he didn't even knock all his opponents out.

The fashion in which Inoue won, combined with the level of opposition, should put him ahead.

Pacquiao did beat higher ranked opponents but he didn't look that great. He dominated Algieri, I'll give you that, but he didn't look great against Bradley. Pac-Bradley 2 was an awful fight to watch. Both guys missing punches, slipping and stumbling all over the place.

13. Confucamus

Confucamus Last of the V8s Platinum Member

Cuban you already said this in another thread. Did this really need its own??

14. cuban23

cuban23 Black Belt

Absolutely.

15. Ruv

Ruv Black Belt

I just watched his fights from this past year and I agree Naoya Inoue deserves the nod as fighter of the year.

16. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

How is beating navaez foty material?

17. Mr2urbo

Mr2urbo Brown Belt

Narvaez is a pretty skilled guy, yes he's way past it was impresive the way Inoue ragdolled him

18. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

this year hasn't been particularly strong. Only Crawford and Gonzalez are comparable. But Gamboa shouldn't be at LW and hasn't looked the same for a while, and Burns and Beltran are solid but not that great. I guess you could argue that Kokietgym was a can and Narvaez was past it and Hernandez isn't more that solid. But The way Inoue steamrolled OAN hasn't been seen yet, and he jumped two weight classes for it, putting himself in the position for a superfight with Gonzalez. I think that edges Crawford. Undecided about Gonzalez.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  19. Helmut Zemo

Helmut Zemo Purple Belt

I might have to agree here, as much as I like Gonzalez and think he has risen to the top of the p4p ranks. I had him prior to this card and slightly favoured Inoue over Narvaez, but I wasn't expecting Inoue to stop him like that in such a short amount of time. Narvaez still has a very solid defence but Inoue proved how versatile and effective he can be (wasn't totally sold on him strategically in his current form until now) with that Japanese style of boxing. It has been a great rise to the top for those two and Crawford, expecting some big things from them next year.

Inoue-Cuadras is an intriguing match-up, I think (and Cuadras has expressed interest in it, iirc). I don't think Kono is interested. If Gonzalez-Estrada II happens (Estrada has climbed into my Top-10 p4p rankings this year) and Gonzalez wins - along with Inoue getting another top win at 115-lbs - I don't think it is terribly unlikely that we see Gonzalez-Inoue by the end of next year. I think Teiken has shown they can get some things done, and depending on the form of both guys leading up, it could easily be the best possible match-up in the entire sport, and maybe in years.

20. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

There is actually a legitimate argument for it. Pretty crazy that Inoue is only 21.