Crime Nancy Pelosi & The Butchers of Beijing: Top Gun Maverack

God damn you, @Deorum
I was perfectly happy hating that harpy, and here you are complicating my comfort with these facts I'd happily managed to miss.

I hate crow. It's all stringy and gets stuck in my teeth.

Asshole.

ahoy PrinceOfPain,

you all are being awfully good sports about this. i salute you.

*salutes PrinceOfPain*

most of the rightwing folk (outside a small handful of impenetrable nutters) in the War Room are way more reasonable than folks you see in the comments section of RedState or Townhall.

good stuff.

- IGIT

ahoy PrinceOfPain,

*salutes PrinceOfPain*

most of the rightwing folk (outside a small handful of impenetrable nutters) in the War Room are way more reasonable than folks you see in the comments section of RedState or Townhall.

good stuff.

- IGIT

Wow, you're still doing this gimmick?

There's something decent about Nancy after all. Good for her and hopefully once Trump's out she could focus a bit more on dealing with the CCP.

hail Deorum, ayup. i've said it before and i'll say it again; Nancy Pelosi is a badass. There's a great piece in Time, which recounts when the Affordable Care Act was on the brink of defeat...it was like a scene right out of the West Wing.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

#I'mWithHer;)
Nancy P has always been my friend, even years before I was conceived apparently. In fact, there were virtually No Friends during that time period. And this was literally decades before "pandering" remotely became a mainstream thing. The least I could do is create this thread for her.

np.jpg
Few people in American history have done more to expand access to affordable care than Pelosi (and most of that list is people who have been vilified by the idiot left).
There's something decent about Nancy after all. Good for her and hopefully once Trump's out she could focus a bit more on dealing with the CCP.

I'd say this is pretty fucking decent, but of course.

If Reagan had put partisan politics and homophobia aside and argued that one’s sexual orientation does not justify suffering and death, who knows how the course of the epidemic, gay rights, and American History may have been altered. The slogan “Silence = Death,” coined by Gran Fury, an art/activist collective within the broader New York City chapter of ACT UP, was not merely a catchy and provocative saying. For Ronald Reagan’s silence literally resulted in thousands of American deaths at the hands of indifferent and unmoved politicians and government institutions.

There was, however, a politician who was ready to address the HIV/AIDS epidemic head on: Nancy Pelosi, a newly-minted member of the House of Representatives from California’s 5th district. A 47-year-old Catholic mother of five known for her stylish suits and signature Tahitian pearl necklaces, Pelosi, on the surface, seemed an unlikely champion for those impacted by AIDS. Yet in her first House floor speech, delivered on June 9th of 1987, Pelosi addressed the epidemic, going so far as to state that she had come to Congress to fight AIDS.

Informed by San Francisco’s community-centered response to the epidemic, Pelosi helped to secure HIV/AIDS funding for her home district and other care, research, and prevention initiatives such as expanding access to Medicaid for people with HIV/AIDS and increasing funding for the Ryan White CARE (Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency) Act. White, a teenager from Indiana who contracted HIV in 1984 from a blood transfusion for hemophilia, was an advocate for AIDS research until his death in 1990. The largest federally funded program for persons with HIV/AIDS, the act sought to improve the availability of care for those living with the disease who were low income or uninsured and their families.

Pelosi also played an important role in the conception of the NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt. Envisioned by San Francisco activist and Harvey Milk protegee Cleve Jones, the Quilt drew upon the medium of folk art to commemorate the lives of those who had died of AIDS. The idea for the quilt was born when, during a 1985 candlelight march to commemorate the assassinations of Supervisor Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone, Jones asked marchers to write the names of loved ones lost to the epidemic on squares of cardboard that were then taped to the walls of the San Francisco Federal Building.

Jones knew he needed assistance from San Francisco’s new Congressional representative, Nancy Pelosi, though he initially feared approaching her because he had campaigned for her Democratic primary challenger, Supervisor Harry Britt. Pelosi readily agreed, but was skeptical. “Cleve,” she said, “I actually know how to sew and enjoy it, but do you really think people will find the time to do this?” (OUT). But Jones had faith in the vision he glimpsed that night outside the candlelit Federal Building and pushed ahead.

The NAMES Project, however, immediately chafed against both the organizers of the march, who were not enthused by the idea of draping the National Mall in fabric, and the National Parks Service, who feared the Quilt would kill the Mall’s carefully manicured lawn. Pelosi said she would take care of the National Parks Service if Jones could convince the gay community to get on board. In a move that demonstrated her political savvy, she humorously told the Parks Service that volunteers would “fluff” the Quilt panels every hour so the underlying grass could breathe. The Second National March on Washington for Gay and Lesbian Rights drew around 500,000 people and, thanks to Pelosi’s efforts, the NAMES Project was able to unfold 1,920 Quilt panels, representing more than 20,000 Americans who had lost their lives to AIDS or AIDS-related causes.

Her most significant contribution to AIDS advocacy, however, may be her leadership in the passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), colloquially known as “Obamacare.” The ACA had significant impact on the lives of persons with HIV/AIDS, increasing access to Medicare and ending discrimination based on pre-existing conditions and annual and lifetime caps on health benefits. Her continued defense of the ACA is an extension of her 30 years of leadership on HIV/AIDS. Chris Collins, a former Pelosi staffer and director of public policy for amFAR (the Foundation for AIDS Research), remarked that Pelosi is “the greatest AIDS advocate I’ve ever known in my life” (Advocate).

Boom.

The NAMES Project Memorial Quilt is an enormous memorial to the lives of people who have died of AIDS-related causes. It was officially started in 1987 when thousands did not receive funerals due to both social stigma and the outright refusal by many cemeteries and funeral homes to handle their remains. Lacking a memorial service or grave site, the quilt was often the only opportunity people had to celebrate and remember their loved ones' lives. The goal of the project is to increase awareness of how massive the HIV/AIDS pandemic really is, and to bring support to those affected by it. Weighing an estimated 54 tons, it is the largest piece of community folk art in the world.

rm1.jpg

rm2.jpg

Something doesn't add up here , right wingers have been telling us Pelosi is an evil Commie for years , if that were true wouldn't she love the CCP ?
It’s still true. The CCP is a far right fascist party.

the natural enemy of commies

I'd say this is pretty fucking decent, but of course.

If Reagan had put partisan politics and homophobia aside and argued that one’s sexual orientation does not justify suffering and death, who knows how the course of the epidemic, gay rights, and American History may have been altered. The slogan “Silence = Death,” coined by Gran Fury, an art/activist collective within the broader New York City chapter of ACT UP, was not merely a catchy and provocative saying. For Ronald Reagan’s silence literally resulted in thousands of American deaths at the hands of indifferent and unmoved politicians and government institutions.

There was, however, a politician who was ready to address the HIV/AIDS epidemic head on: Nancy Pelosi, a newly-minted member of the House of Representatives from California’s 5th district. A 47-year-old Catholic mother of five known for her stylish suits and signature Tahitian pearl necklaces, Pelosi, on the surface, seemed an unlikely champion for those impacted by AIDS. Yet in her first House floor speech, delivered on June 9th of 1987, Pelosi addressed the epidemic, going so far as to state that she had come to Congress to fight AIDS.

Informed by San Francisco’s community-centered response to the epidemic, Pelosi helped to secure HIV/AIDS funding for her home district and other care, research, and prevention initiatives such as expanding access to Medicaid for people with HIV/AIDS and increasing funding for the Ryan White CARE (Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency) Act. White, a teenager from Indiana who contracted HIV in 1984 from a blood transfusion for hemophilia, was an advocate for AIDS research until his death in 1990. The largest federally funded program for persons with HIV/AIDS, the act sought to improve the availability of care for those living with the disease who were low income or uninsured and their families.

Pelosi also played an important role in the conception of the NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt. Envisioned by San Francisco activist and Harvey Milk protegee Cleve Jones, the Quilt drew upon the medium of folk art to commemorate the lives of those who had died of AIDS. The idea for the quilt was born when, during a 1985 candlelight march to commemorate the assassinations of Supervisor Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone, Jones asked marchers to write the names of loved ones lost to the epidemic on squares of cardboard that were then taped to the walls of the San Francisco Federal Building.

Jones knew he needed assistance from San Francisco’s new Congressional representative, Nancy Pelosi, though he initially feared approaching her because he had campaigned for her Democratic primary challenger, Supervisor Harry Britt. Pelosi readily agreed, but was skeptical. “Cleve,” she said, “I actually know how to sew and enjoy it, but do you really think people will find the time to do this?” (OUT). But Jones had faith in the vision he glimpsed that night outside the candlelit Federal Building and pushed ahead.

The NAMES Project, however, immediately chafed against both the organizers of the march, who were not enthused by the idea of draping the National Mall in fabric, and the National Parks Service, who feared the Quilt would kill the Mall’s carefully manicured lawn. Pelosi said she would take care of the National Parks Service if Jones could convince the gay community to get on board. In a move that demonstrated her political savvy, she humorously told the Parks Service that volunteers would “fluff” the Quilt panels every hour so the underlying grass could breathe. The Second National March on Washington for Gay and Lesbian Rights drew around 500,000 people and, thanks to Pelosi’s efforts, the NAMES Project was able to unfold 1,920 Quilt panels, representing more than 20,000 Americans who had lost their lives to AIDS or AIDS-related causes.

Her most significant contribution to AIDS advocacy, however, may be her leadership in the passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), colloquially known as “Obamacare.” The ACA had significant impact on the lives of persons with HIV/AIDS, increasing access to Medicare and ending discrimination based on pre-existing conditions and annual and lifetime caps on health benefits. Her continued defense of the ACA is an extension of her 30 years of leadership on HIV/AIDS. Chris Collins, a former Pelosi staffer and director of public policy for amFAR (the Foundation for AIDS Research), remarked that Pelosi is “the greatest AIDS advocate I’ve ever known in my life” (Advocate).

Boom.

The NAMES Project Memorial Quilt is an enormous memorial to the lives of people who have died of AIDS-related causes. It was officially started in 1987 when thousands did not receive funerals due to both social stigma and the outright refusal by many cemeteries and funeral homes to handle their remains. Lacking a memorial service or grave site, the quilt was often the only opportunity people had to celebrate and remember their loved ones' lives. The goal of the project is to increase awareness of how massive the HIV/AIDS pandemic really is, and to bring support to those affected by it. Weighing an estimated 54 tons, it is the largest piece of community folk art in the world.

rm1.jpg

rm2.jpg

Deorum, hail!

President Reagan's "oh, everything is just fine" approach to the AIDS epidemic is big reason that i see him as such a moral failure.

kinda reminds me of a certain outgoing POTUS...

*nods*

- IGIT

Bless Nodak and Pelosi

F chyna

Wow, I wasn't aware of any of this. Thanks for sharing.
Deorum, hail!

President Reagan's "oh, everything is just fine" approach to the AIDS epidemic is big reason that i see him as such a moral failure.

kinda reminds me of a certain outgoing POTUS...

*nods*

- IGIT

Aye, if only the Reagan Admin was that 'benevolent'.

Yeah, Um... Fuck That.

racta.jpg

ractb.jpg

ractc.jpg

rnbits.jpg

Congrats to the GOP for SUPERCHARGING gay rights in America.

{<jordan}

We HAD that. For the last 4 years.

hello rex kramer,

and?

due to the deal Mr. Lighhizer cut, China has pledged to honor IP protections - which sounds great, for now. just remember, as China continues its surge and innovation into 5G, as well as the next generation of green tech, those same IP protections will serve them, too.

otherwise, soybean farmers get some relief. so what? the grief the soybean farmers experienced were the byproduct of Trump's own chaotic trade war.

nothing else was even touched upon. no human rights. nothing relating to the environment. not a word regarding the fact that both China and the US government both heavily subsidize their industries. nada.

lol.

you want four more years of this?

i'd rather Jake Sullivan, President elect Biden's NSA, get to work on resurrecting some form of the Trans Pacific Partnership so the US can assert itself geopolitically in the coming years, when it comes to China.

- IGIT

Great thread. And... credit where it's due. I knew Pelosi talked a bit tough on China but figured it was window dressing. Shame on me I guess for not getting the real story and realizing that she's actually the one in Washington most trying to hold the CCP accountable.

There will always be things I disagree with her on but my level of respect for her has skyrocketed. Good work TS, one of the more educational and worthwhile threads in a long time.

ahoy PrinceOfPain,

*salutes PrinceOfPain*

good stuff.

- IGIT

This is absolutely true but I don't think it's a coincidence that among all of the right-wing acknowledgement, it was those posters (Yehud, ScorpioN, ElKarlo, Cubo, SDW, PoP, KnightTemp, Ocean) who replied because I converse with all of them pretty regularly. The majority of the WR doesn't want any part of that OP, and I don't blame them: it's a preemptive nuclear bomb on any possible dissent. There's really nothing to argue about or debate.

Last edited:
Would be great if she actually got her way and forced Biden to act tough. Amazing how much hypocrisy there was on China til recently. Clinton said H Bush had blood on his hands for doing trade with China, then goes ahead and trades with China.
There is corruption and I understand some levels of it will occur, but helping China is not OK.
Glad Pelosi has been consistent here.
Great thread. And... credit where it's due. I knew Pelosi talked a bit tough on China but figured it was window dressing. Shame on me I guess for not getting the real story and realizing that she's actually the one in Washington most trying to hold the CCP accountable.

There will always be things I disagree with her on but my level of respect for her has skyrocketed. Good work TS, one of the more educational and worthwhile threads in a long time.

Pelosi's most significant actions were really during the Clinton Administration over its extension of the MFN trade status given to China by Herbert Walker, followed by the concerted push for the CCP's entrance into the WTO at the turn of the century. She displayed some rather tremendous foresight as to what the country would and has become today. Pelosi is the origin source for a lot of talking points about the CCP and most people don't even realize it.

She was comparatively quiet during the Bush and Obama eras aside from the occasional scathing public condemnation (such as the LA Times op-ed linked from 2006) or deliberately spitting in the regime's face in 2009 by meeting with dissidents while on official business in China. The heat has been turned back on over the last few years due to the USTR report on IP theft, Hong Kong takeover, Uyghur concentration camps and increasingly aggressive rhetoric towards Taiwan.

Pelosi's most significant actions were really during the Clinton Administration over its extension of the MFN trade status given to China by Herbert Walker, followed by the concerted push for the CCP's entrance into the WTO at the turn of the century. She displayed some rather tremendous foresight as to what the country would and has become today. Pelosi is the origin source for a lot of talking points about the CCP and most people don't even realize it.

She was comparatively quiet during the Bush and Obama eras aside from the occasional scathing public condemnation (such as the LA Times op-ed linked from 2006) or deliberately spitting in the regime's face in 2009 by meeting with dissidents while on official business in China. The heat has been turned back on over the last few years due to the USTR report on IP theft, Hong Kong takeover, Uyghur concentration camps and increasingly aggressive rhetoric towards Taiwan.
That’s kinda sad. She could have worked with the most willing president against China. She spent the last four years doing everything she could to stymie him

Maha could have made some deal and gotten something from him for support against China. So much lost potential here

Back