Name your top five unorthodox strikers. Past or present.

Brock Lesnar wasn't a bad striker before he got sick. I liked his knees in the clinch and that standing elbow he got Randy Couture with was pretty nasty. Of course he blasted Herring with that right straight.

Fans thinking Jon Jones is the only one throwing standing elbows

This. His those knees to the head looked brutal.

1. Ashamed of sherdog to be the first to say Genki Sudo
2. Evan Tanner crazy timing from self taught striking
3. Machida
4. Anderson
5. Dean of Mean

Last edited:
He knocked down Mir in his first UFC fight, blasted the shit outta herring in his second fight, and rocked Couture twice on the feet in their second fight. First with that standing elbow, and then with that right straight.

I didn't know Mir, Herring, and Couture were shitty strikers to beat when you have less than 5 mma fights.

Finally, I dont see how "he was never worth a damn" on the feet before he got sick.

Couture was a shitty striker, especially at that point in his career and he was landing plenty on Lesnar. Herring was basically one punch from what I remember and that was almost completely set up because Heath was exclusively worried about that double. Mir stood right in front of him and threw lazy kick and got knocked down. I saw nowhere enough to indicate that he was a better striker before his "illness". I see a difference in approach and quality in his opponents, though.

sudo
anderson
fedor

If you don't at least CONSIDER Sudo you are crazy.

anderson is the only unorthodox fighter you named

Have you seen the way Keith sets up strikes, and the odd angles he throws them in? Hendricks throughs many different punches that come from unusual angles which makes them difficult to defend.

Hendricks doesnt have any striking ability, he just wings his left hand lol

The only name that came to mind is Keith Jardine. I can't agree with anyone else named in this thread being "unorthodox", other than Genki Sudo..

Dominic Cruz and his spastic flurrying.

Hendricks is not unorthodox, he's just rudimentary.
Machida is super-traditional. That's pretty much the definition of orthodox.
Anderson is extremely skilled, but generally uses traditional techniques.
Bones seems to become more traditional every time he fights. A lot of his unorthodox attacks were just bad ideas that he got away with.

Couture was a shitty striker, especially at that point in his career and he was landing plenty on Lesnar. Herring was basically one punch from what I remember and that was almost completely set up because Heath was exclusively worried about that double. Mir stood right in front of him and threw lazy kick and got knocked down. I saw nowhere enough to indicate that he was a better striker before his "illness". I see a difference in approach and quality in his opponents, though.

Couture is a shitty striker? He outboxed liddell in his prime and dominated other guys like gonzaga against the cage and on the feet. He was landing on Lesnar but Lesnar took those punches easily. I wonder why Lesnar had a harder time taking punches after he almost died from diverticulitis? (hint, I gave you the answer in the question)

Yeah, it's MMA, and you're supposed to use your threat of the takedown to set up the strikes, especially if you're a good wrestler. I dont know how that proves that healthy Lesnar was a "shitty" striker like you said.

Lesnar countered Mir's kick with a jab or a straight. Simple as that. That was impressive, considering that lesnar had ONE fight before this happened.

Lesnar proved that he had plenty of potential in the standup against Couture and Herring IMO. He used a diverse striking game against a season veteran in Couture. He used elbows, knees in the clinch, good straight right hand, he wasn't that bad.

Maybe you should try getting diverticulitis, get two major surgeries, 2 year layoffs while removing more than a foot of your colon, and see if you can recover in time to outstrike cain and carwin, buddy

Couture is a shitty striker? He outboxed liddell in his prime and dominated other guys like gonzaga against the cage and on the feet. He was landing on Lesnar but Lesnar took those punches easily. I wonder why Lesnar had a harder time taking punches after he almost died from diverticulitis? (hint, I gave you the answer in the question)

Yeah, it's MMA, and you're supposed to use your threat of the takedown to set up the strikes, especially if you're a good wrestler. I dont know how that proves that healthy Lesnar was a "shitty" striker like you said.

Lesnar countered Mir's kick with a jab or a straight. Simple as that. That was impressive, considering that lesnar had ONE fight before this happened.

Lesnar proved that he had plenty of potential in the standup against Couture and Herring IMO. He used a diverse striking game against a season veteran in Couture. He used elbows, knees in the clinch, good straight right hand, he wasn't that bad.

Maybe you should try getting diverticulitis, get two major surgeries, 2 year layoffs while removing more than a foot of your colon, and see if you can recover in time to outstrike cain and carwin, buddy

You're blaming his ability to stay calm under pressure and show the basics of striking defense on his illness? His illness doesn't explain why he looked utterly clueless and lost his shit every time someone put pressure on him. He lacked the mental and technical capablities before and after to be considered a decent striker by MMA standards. No one, other than Couture could keep him on the feet long enough to do actually engage him in anything that would realistically show his striking abilities and he looked lumbering and sloppy throughout that fight until he caught Couture with that right hand (this is the same Couture that Mark Coleman rocked only two fights later). The big difference between pre and post illness Brock is the competition and style matchups.

Cung Le and Hendo.

Is Cung Le's sanshou particularly unorthodox? Henderson isn't really unorthodox, either, from a boxing perspective. He actually has a decent jab (he was outjabbing Bisping) and keeps good balance and posture. He uses that little inside low kick sometimes to set up that right hand which could maybe be considered unorthodox (not really, though).

I think TS should have given a solid definition of what he meant by unorthodox.

I wouldn't really classify most of these guys as being unorthodox. Hendricks is a pretty basic southpaw with a big punch, JDS isn't really unorthodox in any way other than the fact that he gets sloppy sometimes (he has more success when he stays textbook, IMO), even Jones is fairly textbook nowadays (other than his now rare flashy shit) and Machida is traditional shotokan from what I understand (I don't know my karate that well, so correct me if I'm wrong). Anderson blends a few different styles quite well so I could see calling him unorthodox. The way Mighty Mouse switches stances very often (in some of his fights) is a little out there (and reminiscent of Willie Pep in some ways). Melvin Guillard and Benson Henderson are two others that could probably be considered a little unorthodox.

Yea, i was literally going to say pretty much the same. If the ts means "not a traditional boxer" when he says unorthodox, then ok. Otherwise, most of his list are pretty orthodox of specific styles. Bones and Anderson use a mix of TKD and Muay Thai, so that can be considered unorthodox. Cung Le's is pretty unusual for competitive fighting, but it is pretty effective. Hendricks fights like he watched Rocky I a few dozen times more or less. Machida's is very orthodox karate. I like your call on Mighty Mouse. For me, i'd say:

1. Brendan Schaub (most people dont use their face to block punches)
2. Korean Zombie (mixes up a lot of different stuff)
3. Anderson Silva
4. Bones (he mixes up styles well, mostly to take advantage of his reach and keep a distance)
5. Cung Le

Sidenote: There are others from the past who are much more unorthodox and less successful, but i figured i'd go with the ones who are current, who i enjoy watching fight.

You're blaming his ability to stay calm under pressure and show the basics of striking defense on his illness? His illness doesn't explain why he looked utterly clueless and lost his shit every time someone put pressure on him. He lacked the mental and technical capablities before and after to be considered a decent striker by MMA standards. No one, other than Couture could keep him on the feet long enough to do actually engage him in anything that would realistically show his striking abilities and he looked lumbering and sloppy throughout that fight until he caught Couture with that right hand (this is the same Couture that Mark Coleman rocked only two fights later). The big difference between pre and post illness Brock is the competition and style matchups.

He caught couture with big knees, and elbow, and a right hand. Very impressive for a guy with 3 mma fights. You called Mir, Herring, and Couture "shitty strikers" to discredit Lesnar's performances. Doesn't make sense.

Lesnar was rocked by Cain and Shane. Of course he looked wobbly and lost balance. What do you expect? I still don't understand how that makes him a terrible striker.

You're using two fights to try to completely discredit Lesnar when he dropped 3 guys in a row previously.

Lesnar was never as bad a striker has haters made him out to be. He just got rocked by Carwin and Cain, and the haters got all giggly and excited, lol.

He caught couture with big knees, and elbow, and a right hand. Very impressive for a guy with 3 mma fights.

Lesnar was rocked by Cain and Shane. Of course he looked wobbly and lost balance. What do you expect? I still don't understand how that makes him a terrible striker.

You're using two fights to try to completely discredit Lesnar when he dropped 3 guys in a row previously.

Lesnar was never as bad a striker has haters made him out to be. He just got rocked by Carwin and Cain, and the haters got all giggly and excited, lol.

Well, if we're talking top level MMA fighters, his striking is at the bottom of the barrell. Even with his poor striking, he could still beat a lot of fighters. Just not those at the top that weren't perfect stylisitically.

He caught couture with big knees, and elbow, and a right hand. Very impressive for a guy with 3 mma fights. You called Mir, Herring, and Couture "shitty strikers" to discredit Lesnar's performances. Doesn't make sense.

Lesnar had a huge size and power advantage to the aging Couture. That is why he was able to outstrike him. As for Mir being a good striker, rewatch his fight with JDS. He is sloppy as hell on his feet and just looks awkward. The only thing he was landing leg kicks that JDS wasn't even bothering to check. Carwin isn't much better than Brock in my opinion, but I see them both being mediocre at stand up. They aren't the worst in the barrel, but they are far from the top. None of the aforementioned are unorthodox by any means though.

Back