Name a fighter who should switch weight classes.

-Colby to LW if he loses to Usman
-Whittaker to WW if he loses to Adesanya

I would say Mas to LW, but I don't think he has the discipline at this point to get back down there.

thats absurd. His chin would be done for.

He needs to bulk

Why is it absurd? Stipe has weighed 234 against Ngannou and 230 against DC, there are a bunch of LHWs cutting from around 225-235.

I did not like Jose Aldo's move to BW. :(

I was shocked when his camp announced he was moving down to 135. He struggled to make 145 at times.

Aldo definitely leaned out a bit, but he looks so drained at 135. He's one of the greatest lower weight class fighters but he is not going to win that 135 strap.

I understand why he dropped down, especially with Max at 145, but at this point I don't think staying at 135 is healthy for Aldo.

Does she? Have we been listening to the same Joanna? She has been talking about other things since the fight with Waterson. It was ugly and hard to get that fight made and I think that's when she started to become jaded. Sure when the opportunity came to try and regain the belt she was talking like her old self again but the experience further soured her. That was the first time Dana was shitting on her in the media in the lead up to the fight. Immediately after the loss she was back to talking about everything else. More recently she has been talking about the end of her athletic career. That she needs to look forward. The only thing that will bring her back is a big fight or to get paid.

The 115 belt is tied up between fighters all managed by the same guy. If he plays their cards right he can have fights going between Carla, Rose and Weili for the next 2-3 years depending on who beats who. That's only like 2-3 fights but by then Joanna will be done as a top contender at 115. They will age her out. Hell they already have. I don't like to see how laboured her kicks look.

Joanna is on the final fight of her contract and Dana will want to use her up. That's why the offers to fight hard fighters but no title opportunities should she win and no bump in pay. If Dana really wanted to see JJ in the mix by now he would have.

Obviously it's also largely up to Rose, Weili and Carla and their Manager. I don't think they want anything to do with Joanna and would be all too happy to see her completely aged out of the division without a fight.

That's why I suggested Tate. It's the next best fight with a "name" for Joanna besides Ronda and Ronda is not coming back.

I don't disagree that Joanna would be at a severe weight/power disadvantage even at 125 let alone 135 but we are talking about her last fight in the UFC. At least I am.
Good post,i have forgotten she is on her last fight in her contract. It might be worth facing Tate then. If she wins and re -signs after that,tho i wouldnt stay at 135.

Dude is a string bean at 230. He would be emaciated at 205.

Also, he’s too worn, at this point, to think moving weight classes would be successful, IMO.

Out of curiosity what weight do you think 205ers cut from?

On Sherdog?!?! Any fighter who lost 2 fights in a row.

Yeah, most 205'ers don't look like the guy in the pic below, prior to making a ~30lb cut.

View attachment 870502

You're right, they're bigger

Rampage-Jackson-STACK.jpg

BPnbvfz.jpg

Stipe can cut the weight

Cutting 25 lbs is nothing, its almost 10% lol

Tony imo would feel better at WW but the way we saw him get held down WWs rough

You're right, they're bigger

Rampage-Jackson-STACK.jpg

BPnbvfz.jpg

Stipe can cut the weight

Cutting 25 lbs is nothing, its almost 10% lol

1. Stipe is several inches taller than both, and already visibly thin.
2. That pic is Rampage after a cut. It has zero relevance.
3. Both Page and AJ are thick at 230-240. Stipe is rail-thin at 235, already.
4. It's closer to 30lbs. Stipe usually weighs in around 235lbs. And yes, cutting 10% of bw is a significant cut.
5. Just because it's possible, does not mean it's optimal. Stipe's age, size, wear-and-tear, and the fact that he's never competed outside of hw, all suggest it would be a I'll-advised.

145 Gaethje. it doesn't look like he cuts alot by his look on a scale and he's not going to be a champion while Poirier is around. fw can be a new start with some fresh match ups.

I did not like Jose Aldo's move to BW. :(

Same here.
But I remember that when Aldo ruled the FW division many folks insisted that he was a weight bully, and he himself wanted to fight for the LW belt. And then weight-cut techniques changed everything, and all of a sudden he is quite small for the FW division (try to imagine Chad Mendes in today's FW division). In the end, Aldo became actually a small FW, or smaller than the new top 5. You can see what happened to Frankie Edgar, who was a some point LW champ and now is a average-size BW, dwarfed by Sandhagen.
As it stands today, with dudes killing themselves to cut weight and fight two divisions below their normal size just to reinflate in the 24 hours before a fight, the divisions are a joke.

Not necessarily. If the cut is causing him to lose too much strength, then it could work out. It seems to be working well for Chiesa. But I think Tony's too old now to have much of an impact at WW. Well, maybe book him a rematch vs Kevin Lee at 170.
Well, Tony chose to voluntarily cut to 155 twice in a three week period. Very stupid move, but it also tells him he has no problem with the weight cut.

Back