Name a fighter who should switch weight classes.

Lets say we got all the signed fighters into a room, a large conference room, and they made a “hand-shake” deal and do themselves a favor and just fight at the the “in-shape” weights, how many of them assholes would cheat the very next fight? More than 1/2 easily.
Not so easy though.
There are ways to measure and see if they dehydrate for instance.
And if they do (beyond a certain point), they get punished.
It can be done, it just need the good will of promoters, who are not willing to force this upon fighters... and are happy enough taking 20%-30% of the money from the fighter who misses weight.
It also opens for fighters moving up/down easily, so they can have those "super-fights", double champs and whatnot.... as usual, the typical greed above the sport.

Then again, Fighters don't want that as well, so they can try to move down when they find out they can't beat the current champ of their division.

but look at One, who banned weight cutting back in 2017...

https://www.mmamania.com/2017/5/25/15693052/one-championship-abolished-weight-cutting-in-mma

If there's a will, there's a way.

Dude is a string bean at 230. He would be emaciated at 205.

Also, he’s too worn, at this point, to think moving weight classes would be successful, IMO.
At least he wouldn't have to fight guys that are 265 and jacked like Ngannou and Gane.

I don’t even know what division he’s in now, but unless it’s middleweight, im going with Luis Pena.

I'd say Ferg should fight at 170 as well, maybe Tim Means or someone like that.

I think Nate should dabble back to 155 and try to use his clinch and grappling more and wear on those smaller guys.

Side note. Figgy vs Lineker at 125 or 135 would be fucking FIRE

Someone who you think would do a lot better either up or down their current division.

Gunnar Nelson
I have a couple names.

Tony Ferguson, he should consider jumping up to welterweight he would be a dangerous fight for guys like Colby Nate and even Leon. Ik he’s up there in age and past his prime but I think he has just one more title run in him if he’s physically okay.

also Calvin Kattar he should consider jumping up to LW and seeing if he can make a mini run there.

If Chandler can’t get past Gaethje he should move down to FW. A fight between him and Volkanovski would be pretty sick.

It's the tall skin and bones fighters for me. Sean O'Malley is top of my list I'd like to see him with muscle and fighting at welterweight.

Joanna wants to be the best. She cant be the best at 125 or 135. She is too small.
Does she? Have we been listening to the same Joanna? She has been talking about other things since the fight with Waterson. It was ugly and hard to get that fight made and I think that's when she started to become jaded. Sure when the opportunity came to try and regain the belt she was talking like her old self again but the experience further soured her. That was the first time Dana was shitting on her in the media in the lead up to the fight. Immediately after the loss she was back to talking about everything else. More recently she has been talking about the end of her athletic career. That she needs to look forward. The only thing that will bring her back is a big fight or to get paid.

The 115 belt is tied up between fighters all managed by the same guy. If he plays their cards right he can have fights going between Carla, Rose and Weili for the next 2-3 years depending on who beats who. That's only like 2-3 fights but by then Joanna will be done as a top contender at 115. They will age her out. Hell they already have. I don't like to see how laboured her kicks look.

Joanna is on the final fight of her contract and Dana will want to use her up. That's why the offers to fight hard fighters but no title opportunities should she win and no bump in pay. If Dana really wanted to see JJ in the mix by now he would have.

Obviously it's also largely up to Rose, Weili and Carla and their Manager. I don't think they want anything to do with Joanna and would be all too happy to see her completely aged out of the division without a fight.

That's why I suggested Tate. It's the next best fight with a "name" for Joanna besides Ronda and Ronda is not coming back.

I don't disagree that Joanna would be at a severe weight/power disadvantage even at 125 let alone 135 but we are talking about her last fight in the UFC. At least I am.

His waist is already pretty small at HW, he would probably have to lose all his muscle mass to go to 205 lbs

If Stipe was 230 on fight night, doesn't that mean he could have gotten to 205 the day before? Don't big LHWs like Jones and Jan fight around 225?

I think Stipe could make 205, but if he wants to fight Francis again and win, he should try to get as big as possible. The tweener weight worked for DC, but it's not the right approach against most fighters.

Ferguson is now getting physically manhandled at LW, he'd get ground to dust by the much stronger WWs.
Not necessarily. If the cut is causing him to lose too much strength, then it could work out. It seems to be working well for Chiesa. But I think Tony's too old now to have much of an impact at WW. Well, maybe book him a rematch vs Kevin Lee at 170.

Why for his health?
Dude is shredded and he had a terrible time cutting to 125lbs last time.

I think he is too big for 125lbs. It's not like Gastelum or Hendricks just showing up fat and missing weight.

Back