Nam Phan

snaportap21

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Are there any other jiu jitsu blackbelts like nam phan that are good at competition jiu jitsu but have a very tough time applying their jiu jitsu prowess to mma.

phan hasnt won anything big in competition bjj.
most prestigious bjj guys in mma right now are Palhares, Maia, Dean Lister, Jacare, and Roger

since when is Nam great at competition bjj?

I didn't say he was great pal, i just said good. If you watch videos online he's not bad at all. Even when he loses he does not appear inadequate when it comes to skill at bjj.

I didn't say he was great pal, i just said good. If you watch videos online he's not bad at all. Even when he loses he does not appear inadequate when it comes to skill at bjj.

who are these against and where did anyone say he's inadequete?

Your entire thread is based on the premise that he's good at competition bjj but he's never won any major titles, never beaten any great competitive grapplers and hasn't made any name for himself as a competitive grappler.

Basically he's an average grappler who looks like an average grappler in the octagon. Why is this hard to understand?

There have been so many guys that are introduced as gods of grappling that are out after only one fight. Whenever a fighter that has been making waves in grappling circles has his first big fight I always watch to see how they take that first punch. Some guys do just great, others look like they are out of their element immediately.

who are these against and where did anyone say he's inadequete?

Your entire thread is based on the premise that he's good at competition bjj but he's never won any major titles, never beaten any great competitive grapplers and hasn't made any name for himself as a competitive grappler.

Basically he's an average grappler who looks like an average grappler in the octagon. Why is this hard to understand?

You don't have to win titles to be considered good at competition bjj, nor do you have to make a big name for yourself quit trollin

Not sure how he was at grappling outside of MMA, but Mike Massenzio was a blackbelt who was submitted three times in the UFC, twice by white belts/no belts

At the Mighty Mouse Q&A before UFC on Fox 5 someone asked DJ what he thought of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu, his answer was something like

'Oh I don't know man, I don't really do BJJ. Because that's not my sport, I do MMA. I don't have time to take a guy down, put my hand here, my other hand there, wait for an opening... Lets say the take down happens halfway through the round, that is 2 and a half minutes to finish this guy. Different ball game.'

...he then said he had never heard of this '10 point jiu jitsu'

You don't have to win titles to be considered good at competition bjj, nor do you have to make a big name for yourself quit trollin

right so are you going to start a thread for every single one of the 10,000 good regional competition grapplers when they don't look great in the Ufc?

Is this really that hard to understand? He was a good local grappler, that's it. He never placed in any of the major competitions.

This is not Roan Carneiro getting choked out by Jon Fitch. I bet you not one person can name any medal of note Nam has won as a competition grappler.

Gotta say Palhares, great jiu-jitsu guy but if he doesn't get you down or can grab your leg, he's done.
If he could learn some decent stand-up, he would really be a force, right now he's a great fighter but he won't win any championships

He's good on the ground, but he's not black belt level by any means. Ryan Hall embarrassed him in BJJ competition, which is acceptable due to how good Hall is, but Nam has been held down and even dominated by guys of lower ranking in the UFC such as Jimy Hettes and Dennis Siver.

Gotta say Palhares, great jiu-jitsu guy but if he doesn't get you down or can grab your leg, he's done.
If he could learn some decent stand-up, he would really be a force, right now he's a great fighter but he won't win any championships

So true... As evidenced by getting KTFO by Lombard. It was brutal...

Paul Harris is undone by his weak chin and general lack of understanding of instructions.

Back