n 2013 I truely learnt that nobody is unbeatable

If you've learned anything on Sherdog, it should be that Conor McGregor will never lose. (again)

Nate stopped via strikes
Hunt knocked the fuck out
Silva knocked the fuck out.

I raise you:

Hunt specifically KTFO by a wheel kick from JDS of all people.
Benson "Bendo" Henderson beaten by submission.
Jones made to look very human after walking out in a "Not Quite Human" shirt.

Even Aldo might have been on his way to looking beatable and/or beaten if it wasn't for that freaky shoulder injury.

No one is safe in MMA, and that's why the greats are the greats. Any legit long-term record speaks volumes about the fighter's respective skill in this sport. Gotta love it.

In 1993 I learned that I knew exactly nothing about fighting and that my black belt meant exactly zero.

Relson Gracie taught me the reality of "If you can't fight on the ground, you can't fight.".

UFC 1 wasn't only awesome to watch, it forever changed the trajectory of my martial arts training.

In 1993 I learned that I knew exactly nothing about fighting and that my black belt meant exactly zero.

Relson Gracie taught me the reality of "If you can't fight on the ground, you can't fight.".

UFC 1 wasn't only awesome to watch, it forever changed the trajectory of my martial arts training.
Relson?

thats what I call a badass post...respect

I was so sure about nobody can beat Silva especially a guy with 9 fights in his career,I never thought any LHW can beat Jones,he was the untouchable guy at LHW but Gus showed that Jones can be beaten and the last was JDS(the fight was 29th dec 2012)Cain truely destroyed him,till that day I thought theres no threat for this bad Brazilian...
And the last thing maybe ıt will sound gay but I love this sport,the best sport in this universe no doubt...I am sure many of you truely love this sport...MMA is something different guys...and lastly I love to discuss the sport here on Sherdog more than 7 years nearly everyday I check this forum ıts a part of my life...

Nate stopped via strikes
Hunt knocked the fuck out
Silva knocked the fuck out.

"This is MMA and anything can happen."

A phrase you hear often in this sport, however in this particular year made more sense than ever.

I was so sure about nobody can beat Silva especially a guy with 9 fights in his career

I wouldn't say nobody, but I admit I didn't see him as a real threat to Anderson, not that I thought he didn't have skills/talent because I always recognized that, but in the way that I thought it was too soon for him.

I always knew it intellectually. But was still in shock when Werdum beat Fedor.

I wonder if that "if you can't fight on the ground, you can't fight" can be amended to something along the lines of "you can't fight as well."

There are a plethora of striking geniuses that will dominate if they can implement their game of keeping it standing, whether it's through use of TDD or perfect timing/reflexes, i.e. a well-placed knee or uppercut on a shooting opponent.

But I do concur on the idea that having an overall game, including a ground one, is definitive in a probabalistic, "best out of ten fights" sense. If for no other reason than gravity alone, fights can and will end up on the ground in the long run. You add factors like people are specifically training wrestling takedowns now, and it's that much more likely to happen. Cross-training is essential in that regard, but I wouldn't go so far as to say if you can't fight on the ground, that you can't fight at all. You definitely can, you're just more likely to lose if it ends up going there.

Even goldberg got beat by kevin nash after his streak :)

24 October 2009 was when people should have learned once and for all that no one is untouchable. That was the craziest hype train derailment I have ever seen.

24 October 2009 was when people should have learned once and for all that no one is untouchable. That was the craziest hype train derailment I have ever seen.

You ain't been around long then.

what was it Lesnar??

It isn't gay to love a sport dude, I do love MMA and is probably my fav sport right now. And I get what you're trying to say. I knew no one was unbeatable, but yet it came as a surprise when I saw.

I dunno man sounds pretty suspect to me

Back