Myth: Rich Franklin was a better MW than Chael Sonnen

Haha, touche. I was thinking current Sonnen back then. Although he still got subbed against Anderson, he's a much better all around fighter than before imo.

If it's Chael the same year Rich was in his prime, then yeah Rich wins

but Current Chael > Prime Rich

Current chemically enhanced Chael is better than Prime Rich??? Dude they are similar ages and fought in the same time period.........One was champ........the other lost many many times to guys who weren't even in the top 5 (at the time).

Chael has sort of had a resurgence in terms of fighting (but not beating) bigger named opponents lately, but career-wise Rich wins easy.

Just because you're the champion once doesn't mean you're significantly better than other fighters. With that kinda logic Matt Serra > GSP in 2008? Use some common sense people

So do you honestly think Loiseau, Rivera (9-3 at the time) and Quarry (who's shot was recently listed by sherdog as one of the most underserving ever) were elite/world class fighters? :icon_lol:

I told you fighters in prime only. Do you think Wanderlei and Chuck were in their primes when Franklin defeated them?

Oh boy, someone's grasping for straws...

yeah, allright, I won't lie, Rich's resume isn't THAT strong (Wand 1, Hammill, Okami and Tanner were all top tenish wins and his best). However, if you look at most fighters resume's at the time, they all look very weak compared to the modern standard. Tearing apart a resume is easy as can be. I could do it to every one of your favorite fighters with ease.

But I'm better than that. I respect the fighters, I don't try to take down a guy who has done more in MMA in one fight than I have with my entire life.

The truth is that Rich was the #1 MW for a while, and easily one of the most skilled fighters out there. Thus elite. If you deny his skills, you're simply blind.

Maybe, maybe not. Bottom line is, Franklin was a champion and Sonnen never was.

Current chemically enhanced Chael is better than Prime Rich??? Dude they are similar ages and fought in the same time period.........One was champ........the other lost many many times to guys who weren't even in the top 5 (at the time).

Chael has sort of had a resurgence in terms of fighting (but not beating) bigger named opponents lately, but career-wise Rich wins easy.

I don't get what's so hard to grasp for you. I was comparing Rich when he was at his best (AKA Prime) and Sonnen when he's at his best (Which is now)

What does them being similar age have to do with anything? Everyone is different, that's why Sonnen is more relevant than Rich now, and Rich was more relevant than Sonnen years ago.

Prime Ace vs Prime Chael, Rich would win, right now i'll give the win to Chael.

Loool 76Knockout hates a confident dude like Chael. He prefers someone who makes jokes about himself all the damn time and cries like Griffin.

I guess he sees himself in Forrest, thus idolizes him, and sees the man he wants to be in Chael, thus despises him.

Lmao

you are a pathetic, petty person.

Forrest was a champion, and that's more than you'll ever accomplish in your life. If you want to be like Forrest, it's because you want to be a real champion and a real man

We never saw them fight, it's all speculation. Legacy wise Rich is ahead

you are a pathetic, petty person.

Forrest was a champion, and that's more than you'll ever accomplish in your life. If you want to be like Forrest, it's because you want to be a real champion and a real man

Dude is just a troll, don't mind him :p

Give Rich some credit. There's no way Chael would have gotten out of the Lutter armbar...

Rich Franklin has class, and Shael Sonin doesn't.

Rich all day, every day.

Let's not forget, sonnen got subbed by maia during his current run. Sonnen has the chance to pass rich but he hasn't done it yet.

Yeah Chael is/was better than Rich imo. He definitely would have been champ back then

Look at how Forrest Griffin beat Rich with top control. Sure it wasn't prime Rich, but still. Chael would have out grappled him definitely

There is a good chance that "back then" Rich Subs him.

Their primes were at different times. Chael is only now getting himself into a good BJJ position where him not getting subbed is less likely.

I've always been curious, is Rich really popular in Brazil?

All of the Brazilian Sherdogers seem to have a soft spot for him, and Anderson regularly mentions him as his favorite opponent

While Sonnen is a better fighter overall it's close because in his era regardless of how weak MW was he was the champ and wrecked his division until AS came to the UFC. It can go either way. The more Sonnen accomplishes though the harder it becomes to put Franklin ahead him on MW GOAT lists.

Franklin had it easy at MW until Silva came along. I think Sonnen would beat him then and now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back