Myth or Fact? Losing weight makes you skinnier (Wrestling)

I am pretty sure my cutting weight resulted in me stunting my growth.

Only lose water weight. Cut the water weight 2 days before the match and then eat and drink yourself silly. Get back to your normal weight by the day after the match. Continue process throughout season. This is the best way about going about the wrestling season. It keeps you sane, strong, and healthy. Good luck.

ratfacedkid said:
I am pretty sure my cutting weight resulted in me stunting my growth.

Only lose water weight. Cut the water weight 2 days before the match and then eat and drink yourself silly. Get back to your normal weight by the day after the match. Continue process throughout season. This is the best way about going about the wrestling season. It keeps you sane, strong, and healthy. Good luck.

agreed.....if youre going to make 103 try to keep your weight up and just cut down right before your match, its much better than trying to stay low as far as growth, and your performance and energy levels

Kou brings up a good point.

The average height of a warrior in the 12th century was between 5'0 and 5'5". So if one is seriously malnourished, genetics might not be as important.

I'm parroting, anyway.

bjjfighter91 said:
Ok well obviously if ur real overweight it wont but im the real lanky type. Around 5'7 and they want me to cut to 103. I just wanna know if this is true that if i cut weight even if im below the average weight for my size will i not grow to my potential. Because i wanna be around 6'1 when i grow up.
If you want to grow to your full potential then obviously depriving your body of nutrients cant help. That said, You are talking about cutting weight for a few months. Most likely it wont stunt your growth. I cut a lot of weight and I'm only about 5'8 , but I'm as tall as my parents and taller than my grandparents.
bjjfighter91 said:
yeah cause my coach was like saying if i went to 112 that it would be hard because theres a lot of 3-4 year wrestlers at 112. And that 103 would be better because theres a lot of beginner wrestlers in that weight category.
He's right. I was wrestling 112 when I was a junior.
bjjfighter91 said:
well right now i weigh 104-105 where my regular weight if i ate normally i would weigh 110-112. I dont know if i can just keep going down to 103 cause thats a lil too low for my height. And i got a tournament tommarow
If you are around 105 you should definitely be going 103. And once the two pound allowance comes around its going to be easy. If you go 112 you are going to be going against wrestlers with a lot more experience that are cutting down from like 120-130 lbs.
cfiore6006 said:
There's no being 5-7 and 103. No fucking way. Your coach isn't looking out for your best interest. If you're a beginner, hit the weights and eat healthy. You'll get your ass kicked for awhile, but keep at it and you'll improve. A lot of wrestlers don't even win a match until their second year.
Really, it depends on a lot more things. If your team is good and has a chance to win something, then you should think about doing what is best for the team. If you care about your record and placing in districts/regions/states you should go the weight where you are going to get the most wins. Also, would you be the starter if you go 112? If not then you should go 103 if you want to get experience. If you dont care about any of those things I just said, if you're not that serious about the sport/if you're just doing it to be in shape, then dont cut anything. All I can do is offer my advice and say what I would do. If you are around 105 then, IMO, you should definitely go 103.

Back