Myth or Fact? Losing weight makes you skinnier (Wrestling)

bjjfighter91

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok well obviously if ur real overweight it wont but im the real lanky type. Around 5'7 and they want me to cut to 103. I just wanna know if this is true that if i cut weight even if im below the average weight for my size will i not grow to my potential. Because i wanna be around 6'1 when i grow up.

you sort of worded it funny, you mean is losing weight going to hinder your height growth?

hes too dehydrated to type lol i feel you man i gotta cut to 135 iam a big 145 sucks.........hit the sauna.

screw it you should just gain the weight 103 is the class that the coaches try to find someone to stick in to get some easy wins. Theyll usually try and bring up a really small freshman or even try and get some middle school kids to take up the 103 spot and any sort of experience or strength gets them easy team points.

Thats my two cents but to your question... i guess it could limit your potential due to malnutrition. Stuff like calcium helps you grow and if you are malnutritioned to keep the weight down then i could see ti potentially stunning your growth. I dont know if it would be significant though

Hmmm I'm not really sure. In high school though, I was 5'9" and weighed 125. I'm now 6=1" 185 so I guess it didn't hurt me.

Your height will be determined to a greater extent by your genetics, but if you want to grow as much as possible, then no, you don't want to be on a calorie-restricted diet.

What is your age? If you are already, say 18, it wont matter

even if your 14, 103 and 5'7 is a strech for a girl, let alone a dude.

I know a girl who trains 5 times a week for 3 hours a day, she is 5'7 and 120... and I think that is tiny

My little sister is the BC welterweight Muai Thia champ, she is 5'7 and 140... also training every day

I think 103 would damn near kill you, tell them no, if they give you shit then find a new coach

yeah cause my coach was like saying if i went to 112 that it would be hard because theres a lot of 3-4 year wrestlers at 112. And that 103 would be better because theres a lot of beginner wrestlers in that weight category.

well right now i weigh 104-105 where my regular weight if i ate normally i would weigh 110-112. I dont know if i can just keep going down to 103 cause thats a lil too low for my height. And i got a tournament tommarow

i heard losing weight makes you fatter.

sorry, i had to

Well if you are a pubic hair away from making 103 than just go for it. If you have trouble keeping that weight than just wait for the 2 pounds after winterbreak!!!

There's no being 5-7 and 103. No fucking way. Your coach isn't looking out for your best interest. If you're a beginner, hit the weights and eat healthy. You'll get your ass kicked for awhile, but keep at it and you'll improve. A lot of wrestlers don't even win a match until their second year.

That's a ridiculously low weight. I imagine you're undereating like crazy. I was at one point 5'7" and 125lbs and people regularly commented on how I looked "gaunt," "anorexic," and like a holocaust victim. I was performing lots of long distance cardio at the time. I can't even imagine how skinny and undernourished you must be. I'd seriously work on upping your caloric intake. At your age you'll put on lots of muscle really quickly. Get out of the weight division ASAP.

Madmick said:
Your height will be determined to a greater extent by your genetics, but if you want to grow as much as possible, then no, you don't want to be on a calorie-restricted diet.

I'm not quite sure I agree here. Obviously if your parents are both under 5'8" you aren't very likely to be 6'1". But nutrition is going to make more than a slight difference regardless of genetics.

Look at all the 2nd generation Asians in the U.S. Their parents are almost universally shorter than the kids raised in the U.S. Growing up with the better nutrition (or at least apropriate calorie and protein intake) made the U.S. born generation of Asians several inches taller than their parents. Can't really say that that is a genetic thing there.

I think a TON of wrestlers stunt their growth dieting for several months of the year over the critical adolescence years. Just my $0.02

KOU In3 said:
I'm not quite sure I agree here. Obviously if your parents are both under 5'8" you aren't very likely to be 6'1". But nutrition is going to make more than a slight difference regardless of genetics.

Look at all the 2nd generation Asians in the U.S. Their parents are almost universally shorter than the kids raised in the U.S. Growing up with the better nutrition (or at least apropriate calorie and protein intake) made the U.S. born generation of Asians several inches taller than their parents. Can't really say that that is a genetic thing there.

I think a TON of wrestlers stunt their growth dieting for several months of the year over the critical adolescence years. Just my $0.02

Well I also think its more than jsut better nutrition making U.S. born asians taller. I think it has to do with how food is here. Cows are fed steroids in the U.S. to make them bigger so we are indirectly getting it from them. Most of China is poor and my mom says (she was born in China) that their diet was mainly rice and most people were poor so they were under-nourished. Meat was for the wealthy.

don't worry about losing your first few matches. let your technique improve. that's the way to win, not being an anorexic.

fuck your coach.

Timbaland said:
Well I also think its more than jsut better nutrition making U.S. born asians taller. I think it has to do with how food is here. Cows are fed steroids in the U.S. to make them bigger so we are indirectly getting it from them. Most of China is poor and my mom says (she was born in China) that their diet was mainly rice and most people were poor so they were under-nourished. Meat was for the wealthy.

not to mention the fact that soy milk and tofu inhibits ur absorption of calcium, magnesium, and zinc.. stunting growth

sorry, just had to get it out.. lol :D

Back