Mystery Solved: Why Romero Was Denied Full Two Hours for Second Weigh-In Before Whittaker Fight

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Basically the story is the commissioner wanted to get to the Cubs game in time so she didn't give Romero the full two hours.

LowKickMMA Exclusive

Yoel Romero went through one of the most disturbing weight cuts in recent mixed martial arts (MMA) memory back in June of last year.

. . .

Dan Lambert detailed how Romero’s second attempt at making weight went down. “The Soldier Of God” rested a bit before jumping into a bath to resume his weight cut. However, just five minutes into his bath, the commissioner ordered Romero back downstairs to weigh-in, leaving about an hour and a half of his given time on the table. The commissioner threatened if Romero didn’t come down to weigh-in, he wouldn’t be fighting.

“It was one of the biggest crocks of sh*t I’ve ever seen in this business,” Lambert said. “Yoel went to the weigh-ins and he was a pound over. They give you two hours to make weight. . .

"Five minutes into the bath the commission doctor got on the phone and said, ‘Oh, the head commissioner says to be down here in five minutes or he’s not going to fight.’

"We go, ‘What do you mean? We have like an hour and a half left?’

"They go, ‘Nope, she says he has to be there right now.’

"‘What do you mean he has to be there right now?’

"‘She says he has to be there right now.’

“And he had to get out of the bath, he had no time to extend his bath time, he had no time to sit under the sheets from the bath. Got up, walked downstairs, and what did he miss it by, a pound and a half or something? It was ridiculous! It wasn’t because the doctors said he could no longer continue.

"Then later, someone told me they saw the commissioner at the Cubs game that afternoon.

“They gave no explanation whatsoever as to why he wasn’t given the time he was supposed to be given to make the weight. And then they just said it was her decision, and then she’s at a Cubs game, so you do the math.”

https://www.lowkickmma.com/dan-lambert-yoel-romero-weight-cut-stopped-cubs-game/

Acting Commissioner
NANCY ILLG
[email protected]
(312) 793-6605

Last edited:
Thankfully they lost with hitting ball sports.

June 25 – Following the four-game sweep by the Reds, the Cubs traveled to Los Angeles to take on the Dodgers. Duane Underwood Jr. was recalled from Iowa to start and make his major-league debut.[136] Underwood pitched well, lasting four innings and allowing only one run. The Cub bullpen pitched well, but Justin Wilson allowed another run in the eighth as the Cubs trailed 2–0 heading to the ninth. Following a one-out single off Dodger closer Kenley Jansen, Ben Zobrist moved to second on a balk and to third on an Anthony Rizzo single. A sacrifice fly by Javier Báez moved the score to 2–1 before Kyle Schwarber grounded out to end the game.[137] The loss marked the Cubs' fifth straight.

<Lmaoo>

<Moves>

That's a massive coincidence, someone involved in Romeros weight cut went to a cubs game and despite all the thousands of people there he saw and recognised some commission lady?
Probably should've bought a lottery ticket right there and then.

She paid for her tickets. No refunds. Why should she miss the game because Yoel is a fattass?

I dont believe what anyone in mma says.

Last edited:
Amazing, just like his supplements were tainted and he didn't actually miss weight against Rockhold either or hear the bell against Kennedy or mean to grab the cage against Jacare or fake a low blow with Costa to get more rest.

Just a series of misunderstandings.

Blame Nancy because Yoel is an unprofessional cheater.

Man this site I swear.

So she wanted to rush to see the real A level athletes

I have no issue with is, I would of done the same

Baseball sucks. Can't imagine being in a rush to catch one of the thousands of games played every year.

Maybe if they hadn't waited until literally the last moments available to cut the weight they would've been ok.

What's often lost in this story is that Romero only JUST weighed in on time during the official weigh in time window. The rules state that the fighter will be allowed UP TO two hours after this to make weight. So he weighed in minutes before the official weigh in window was due to close, then was banking on an extra two hours after the actual weigh in times. But those two hours were well passed what the actual weigh in time is intended to be. As far as I'm aware, it's quite literally at the discretion of the AC. It's not a guaranteed two hours.

They tried to game the system to it's maximum and it didn't work out for them. I have very little sympathy for them or any other fighter that has such a precise weight cut that if ANYTHING goes wrong they're fucked. That's just asking for trouble in a sport as unpredictable as MMA.

If they'd weighed in early in the official time period, then the extra two hours would not have been an issue, because they still would've been within the actual weigh in time. Y'know... like what every single other fighter does.

Brown people aren't allowed their alloted 2 hours to cut more weight is the vibe I'm getting from the replies here.

Regardless that so called commissioner.. Should be fired for breaking the rules.. Yoel would of been a champion.

It is ridiculous that nobody (?) was able to give a full explanation on that. Romero had 2 hours and that's it.
Is there any official reason why he was called to the weigh in? The fact that his manager(?) hasn't dedicated his life purpose to find how the fuck that happened is another weird thing for me. Had it happen to me, or any of my athletes I would have demanded solid explanation and I would then post if everywhere.

Back