Mystery Solved: Why D1 Colby Didn't Wrestle D2 Usman

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ReadWrite, Feb 22, 2020.

?

Should Colby have wrestled more?

1. Y

80.0%
  2. N

20.0%
  1. ReadWrite

ReadWrite Silver Belt Platinum Member

“No, I was not surprised one bit that he didn’t want to wrestle because he knows that if he wrestles a D1 all-star like me, he’s going to get exposed and he’s going to get tired, and he’s going to gas. The reason I didn’t implement any wrestling is I was beating him up so easily standing.

“I wobbled him in the first, the second, and the fourth. I hurt him with the head kick, got a nasty body kick on him where he was about to quit. I caught him with some good straight lefts, good hooks, good uppercuts, and had him on wobbly legs multiple times, so I was having so much success striking that I didn’t need to wrestle. I was winning the whole entire fight, so I didn’t feel like I had to switch to the wrestling.

“I noticed that when I kicked him in the liver and I was starting to put the pressure on in the second round, he didn’t like that. He was ready to fold up; you could see it in his eyes. If you go freeze frame to when I kicked him in the liver and he turned around, you could see it in his eyes.

He was ready to break and he was ready to quit, but when you get five minutes to recover in a fight and you get that two separate times, that’s 10 minutes of resting in a title fight. There’s no way for me to build momentum or build pressure on because he just takes breaks -- and that’s cheating!”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/02/colby-covington-didnt-wrestle-kamaru-usman-beating-him-up-easily-standing-ufc-245

Chael_Sonnen and Typrune Goatley like this.
  2. Gilday

Gilday Silver Belt

I mean that answer is complete gimmick, in reality both of them were probably worried about gassing out from wrestling so kept it on the feet where they both thought they'd have an advantage

3. Sweater of AV

Sweater of AV Silver Belt

4. Fadetoblack918

Fadetoblack918 Purple Belt

I really used to hate Colby. Now I cant get enough of the guy. Havent been this entertained by just hearing a guy speak since Chael was still in the UFC

5. TerraRayzing

TerraRayzing Little eagle soars again

I mean I know he has a gimmick going on but holy shit.... <Varys01>

6. C0NCH3TO

C0NCH3TO Gold Belt

Not a fan of Colby but i loved how he got them libs mad as hell. He is a tough Sob and will get another shot soon but he is doing himself a disservice here. Take your L and get your ass back to training, Colby. Say all you want but you got your ass whooped and you pulled a Forest Griffin at the end , bruh. That was hilarious...

Noveltymortar likes this.
  7. BlessedSoldier

BlessedSoldier Blue Belt

2 great wrestlers cancels out each other. Both were worried the other guy was the better wrestler

AssassinFacedBaby likes this.
  8. HunterAcosta

HunterAcosta Brown Belt

Think there was a talking to before fight . Extra bonus to stand . Really do. Two wrestlers do cancel each other out but two wrestlers not even INSTICTIVELY shoot , threaten or even flinch a takedown ? I call BS.

BigBadBruins likes this.
  9. TuggSpeedman

TuggSpeedman Blue Belt

I believe you Cobby

10. Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Bingo.

This isn't fucking rocket science.

11. Portland8242

Portland8242 Brown Belt

When you shoot and fail a takedown, it drains the gas tank. Neither guy wanted to risk failing a takedown and having less gas in the tank than their opponent. The chain wrestling style both these guys employ takes a ton of cardio to do (which they definitely have), if you put all that work into getting them to the mat only for them to pop back up (which is very likely), then it's a net loss for whoever shot the takedown.

Theproof likes this.
  12. Portland8242

Portland8242 Brown Belt

Believe it or not this is the one rare example of that actually happening.

The fight was essentially a mirror match.

13. TheScorpionDude

TheScorpionDude Get over here! ~~~~~~~~~~~~==>

Better luck next time I guess.

14. BlessedSoldier

BlessedSoldier Blue Belt

That too

15. Ackmed

Ackmed Brown Belt

Colby didn't wrestle because he knew Usman would beat him in that department.

Usman didnt wrestle because he respected Colby's endurance so he wanted to preserve his own for up to 5 rounds.

If you believe Colby stood because he was finding success lol then u might as well believe Usman's claim that he stood because he chose to knock Colby out.

aichokyu and Theproof like this.
  16. Theproof

Theproof Brown Belt

Dude ran out the octagon like a bitch. What a lame ass excuse that doesn't prove his point at all. "Doing so well standing" that he got knocked on his ass and finished at the end of the fight. Just proved how dumb he is for not going for your best option to win which according to him was his wrestling.

aichokyu, Swoliosis and Mammothman like this.
  17. TR1

TR1 Black Belt

Because D-1 is a meme.

I mean, Emmanual Yarborough was a D-1 wrestler lol.

aichokyu and CasualBot like this.
  18. Captain Herb

Captain Herb Bernie Lives

So tired of this maga bullshit. Cheat like hell to win and if you don't, claim victim because the other guy was cheating. As a white person, I can definitively say that trump supporters like colby covington are the most whiny, complaining, and "victimized" people the world over. True snowflakes.

Theproof likes this.
  19. Andreh

Andreh Black Belt

It is quite the opposite... If Colby had used more wrestling, he would be ragdolled. His credentials don't say absolutely anything in this particular case. Usman is simply better everywhere, stronger and proved he has the same gas as Colby. So, the result we all saw.

No one gives a shit about Colby anymore, that's the truth. NEXT. Cry is free.

TR1 and King in the North like this.
  20. Normot

Normot Brown Belt

“No, I was not surprised one bit that he didn’t want to wrestle because he knows that if he wrestles a D1 all-star like me, he’s going to get exposed and he’s going to get tired, and he’s going to gas.

This is true. Amazingly though, it's also true for why Colby didn't wrestle.