My workout

rEdShawks

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hope no one minds me posting my work out schedule, i hope it can help people and people can help critique it and help me. I am not training to be an ultimate fighter, my main goals are fitness/conditioning , improving my running (5k/10k), and sharpening up my upper body, i am on the light side 150 pounds so i actually prefer not to loose weight, and maybe gain weight (which i doubt will happen with running 5x a week) any thoughtful critique is welcomed

RUNNING
5x a week running with total mileage going from 20-30. long runs dont exceed 10 miles, usually 7-9 (i know thats barely considered long)
1 day out of the 5 is speed training including fartlek/hills/tempo runs/half milers/quarter milers and others. My 2 days off are after 3 days of consecutive workouts

Upper Body

Swimming 3x a week (not intense but a decent workout)
Every other day i alternate between push ups and pull ups
PUSHUPS- i can only do 30 pushups without a stop so i do one set of 18 15 7 with 10s rest between each then throughout the day i do the same set twice one with wide push ups (or feet on chair) and one with hands close together

On days i dont do pushups i do pullups

I have been following this routine for 4 weeks so far and am curious what other people think of it and any critique that could help me out.
i know im not going to be a bodybuilder and thats fine, all i want is a slightly muscular upper body , able to do fast 5/10k's and be overall fit

so.....?

Yeh youre not gonna gain weight with all that running.

If you want to bulk up a bit spend a few months focusing more on that then get back to the running.

IMO drop some longer runs, keep one long run (7-9 milers), and do some 400s, 800's and 5k fast tempo a bit more often.

Calories out will be less=easier to put on some weight, stress and time will be less (based on volume not individual training sessions), you'll have more time to do upperbody work without being as fucked (although I expect dying after a 5k) and then you can work more on your speed aspect.

Try some downhill runs and up hill sprint sessions as well. Your 'hills' session could be anything without more information. It could be muscle conditoning, anaerobic work etc (I count steep hill running as anaerobic work, downhill as speed work due to the very nature of the exercises).

That's still 5 sessions on your legs easily.

edit- regarding the press ups.

Make up your mind, are you going for volume or 2 seperate work outs.
What you're doing is a work not, not volume work for a day

What back work are you doing?
You need to do something for your quads. Doing hill runs isn't enough IMO. Hamstrings take a pounding during a run and if your quads are weak you're asking for a injury.

Core work?

regarding the press ups.

Make up your mind, are you going for volume or 2 seperate work outs.
What you're doing is a work not, not volume work for a day

by press ups im guessing u mean pushups. I recently bought the perfect pushup and it has some training guide and thats the one ive been following, whihc i think works on volume of pushups , not sure though, whats a "work not: u mean workout? i dont see a point of 2 seperate work outs, explain more please

What back work are you doing?
You need to do something for your quads. Doing hill runs isn't enough IMO. Hamstrings take a pounding during a run and if your quads are weak you're asking for a injury.

Core work?

any back/core/ quads exercises that i can do while either running, or with body resistence, i really dont like weights or going to a gym, and just want to be "even" and not have any injuries

thankyou

i really dont like weights or going to a gym

doing-it-wrong.jpg

Running, swimming and push ups really don't help gain tons of muscle

If I made one critical mistake in high school while running distance, it was not seriously attempting to put on functional muscle mass. I mean shit, I couldn't crack a minute in the 400m, but when I ran the 800 I posted negative splits for a 66/65. I couldn't do better than a low 14/high 13 in the 100m. All around I did not have the muscle mass to increase my speed, I could only improve my ability to maintain speed.

I'm not saying you're in the same boat, but it sounds to me like you're starting off making a fundamental mistake.

but i still run alot, do alot of pushups and pullups at my house, and go swimming frequently, is it that wrong?

Go read the FAQ in the Strength and Power forum.

Then read it again.

Then read the Conditioning FAQ 3-4 times.

Go read the FAQ in the Strength and Power forum.

Then read it again.

Then read the Conditioning FAQ 3-4 times.

done, but if u want to play it that way than go ahead i aint gona pretend to be a tough guy on an internet forum like many do

done, but if u want to play it that way than go ahead i aint gona pretend to be a tough guy on an internet forum like many do

If you had read both FAQs, you should be able to understand why you're doing it wrong by avoiding weight training

but i still run alot, do alot of pushups and pullups at my house, and go swimming frequently, is it that wrong?

Even long distance runners go to the gym because it is more time effective and efficient at strengthening areas that will give out (example, weak hamstrings or the ligaments around the knee that take a pounding during a run) then not going.

It more about injury preventing/strengthening the working muscles to make you stronger.

God lord if you say something about not wanting to look like a body builder I will get you banned (somehow.....)

You're trying to act like you have the moral high ground and as though he is being the big bad internet warrior while he is just trying to point you in a direction where you can learn.

Don't take the moral high ground because you THINK you are right until you have all the facts to back it up.

by press ups im guessing u mean pushups. I recently bought the perfect pushup and it has some training guide and thats the one ive been following, whihc i think works on volume of pushups , not sure though, whats a "work not: u mean workout? i dont see a point of 2 seperate work outs, explain more please

press ups, push ups, potato poato (or however you spell it)
Yes work out, well done on that one.
I was refering to this

PUSHUPS- i can only do 30 pushups without a stop so i do one set of 18 15 7 with 10s rest between each then throughout the day i do the same set twice one with wide push ups (or feet on chair) and one with hands close together

Explain the bold before I go any further

any back/core/ quads exercises that i can do while either running, or with body resistence, i really dont like weights or going to a gym, and just want to be "even" and not have any injuries

thankyou

To prevent injuries with progressive overload it's much easier and much more specific to grab a barbell and do something and give the other areas a rest then to try and say run and stengthen that region (diversity is the spice of life you know)

Please don't ever use the term 'even' when talking about overal muscular development

You're trying to act like you have the moral high ground and as though he is being the big bad internet warrior while he is just trying to point you in a direction where you can learn.

Don't take the moral high ground because you THINK you are right until you have all the facts to back it up.

lol got ya, it was late last night

I hope no one minds me posting my work out schedule, i hope it can help people and people can help critique it and help me. I am not training to be an ultimate fighter, my main goals are fitness/conditioning , improving my running (5k/10k), and sharpening up my upper body, i am on the light side 150 pounds so i actually prefer not to loose weight, and maybe gain weight (which i doubt will happen with running 5x a week) any thoughtful critique is welcomed

RUNNING
5x a week running with total mileage going from 20-30. long runs dont exceed 10 miles, usually 7-9 (i know thats barely considered long)
1 day out of the 5 is speed training including fartlek/hills/tempo runs/half milers/quarter milers and others. My 2 days off are after 3 days of consecutive workouts

Upper Body

Swimming 3x a week (not intense but a decent workout)
Every other day i alternate between push ups and pull ups

On days i dont do pushups i do pullups

I have been following this routine for 4 weeks so far and am curious what other people think of it and any critique that could help me out.
i know im not going to be a bodybuilder and thats fine, all i want is a slightly muscular upper body , able to do fast 5/10k's and be overall fit

so.....?

If you are looking to build a more muscular frame then you definitely need to decrease the long distance running. If you want a reason for this just look at the bodies of long distance runners and then look at a sprinter. Mix in some sprints and shorter distance workouts and bike riding is a good workout and much better on the joints than running. Swimming is a good workout as well just go as long as you can and push yourself. For upper body if you do not like going to the gym doing push ups, dips, and pull ups are all sufficient but mix up the forms. Do some inclined push ups by propping your feet on something. Mix up the forms of pull ups such as closed grip or open grip or wide grip. Dips are dips and they are tough as hell and about as good as a chest workout as it gets. I also do box jumps and burpees and jump squats and jumping lunges to work the lower body. But I don't go to the gym either so I get creative. One thing I like to do our complex workouts where you do about 3-4 different things for one set. I will do about 25 push ups and go straight into 15 pull ups into 25 crunches and then do box jumps for 30 sec. That would be one set then rest for 30 sec - 1 min and then go again for about 3 sets.

If you are looking to build a more muscular frame then you definitely need to decrease the long distance running. If you want a reason for this just look at the bodies of long distance runners and then look at a sprinter. Mix in some sprints and shorter distance workouts and bike riding is a good workout and much better on the joints than running. Swimming is a good workout as well just go as long as you can and push yourself. For upper body if you do not like going to the gym doing push ups, dips, and pull ups are all sufficient but mix up the forms. Do some inclined push ups by propping your feet on something. Mix up the forms of pull ups such as closed grip or open grip or wide grip. Dips are dips and they are tough as hell and about as good as a chest workout as it gets. I also do box jumps and burpees and jump squats and jumping lunges to work the lower body. But I don't go to the gym either so I get creative. One thing I like to do our complex workouts where you do about 3-4 different things for one set. I will do about 25 push ups and go straight into 15 pull ups into 25 crunches and then do box jumps for 30 sec. That would be one set then rest for 30 sec - 1 min and then go again for about 3 sets.

How have you been on sherdog for so long with such a low post count?

Im response to your advice, yay and ney.
The man wants to run, he just I guess doesn't want to look like someone from a concentration camp.
Suggestions are good and I would agree in the cutting down on the distance stuff, but he does want to be a runner with extras tacted on (not to be condescending there red)

Chaserton is the antithesis of redshawks. nearly a thousand posts in less than 2 months is just absurd.

How have you been on sherdog for so long with such a low post count?

Im response to your advice, yay and ney.
The man wants to run, he just I guess doesn't want to look like someone from a concentration camp.
Suggestions are good and I would agree in the cutting down on the distance stuff, but he does want to be a runner with extras tacted on (not to be condescending there red)

well i guess im lucky enough for him to spend one of his 2 posts on me, and yeah described me decently enough.

If i do like 50 miles a week of biking will that make me skinnier or will that build up some leg muscles?

Back