My wife's dog keeps chewing up my stuff.

burntbacon

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A PS3 controller, three Xbox 360 controllers, my shoes, the remote to the TV, the trim around our bedroom door. My kids aren't very good at putting the controllers up so that is in part their fault. But this is becoming a big issue. The dog is only 6 months old but she is very large and I don't want her in the house anymore. My wife says she's too young to be outside fulltime. My wife isn't going to replace or repair any of this, that's just the way she is but I'm furious. My wife doesn't work so she has no excuse for letting the dog destroy things while I'm at work all day. I'm really thinking of giving her an ultimatum, the dog goes or I do.

Well dogs like to chew up shit when they're young... very common. And 6 months is not too young to put him/her outside... it's a damn dog.

Just make sure you don't have a neighbor who will call animal control on you for putting the dog outside ;)

Is your marriage and kids future really worth less than some chewed up 'stuff' to you?

kick his ass. dogs won't respect you unless you establish dominance.

my mother in law's dogs love me, and 90% of the time i treat them like crap.

You could do some obedience training, or use some kind of chewing deterrent spray on the things you mentioned.

how about you give the dog some of your wife's possessions? give the dog her makeup, her shoes, and her fav shirts.

The kids would come with me, they are fed up with her too.

Good luck getting a court to agree with that logic...

And even moreso, good luck getting your kids to value marriage if they see you throw it away over a dog.

it'd be easier to send the dog to a shelter (don't tell the wife) and just say that you saw the gate open when you got home. Hell drive around "looking" for the mutt for a while to show concern for her feelings.

how about you give the dog some of your wife's possessions? give the dog her makeup, her shoes, and her fav shirts.

Good idea, and this is part of the problem, she will look after her things when it comes to this mutt, but my things, the kids things, the furniture etc she doesn't seem to worry about. She says we need a new couch anyway but there is no way in hell I'm going to buy new furniture with all of this destruction going in our home. The disrespect she is showing me and the kids is what has me so pissed off.

You could do some obedience training, or use some kind of chewing deterrent spray on the things you mentioned.

Worked on my coworker who liked to chew on pens and sounded like jenna jameson.

That's too bad. I just looked up the puppy and she seems pretty cute

cute-puppy-l1.jpg

And even moreso, good luck getting your kids to value marriage if they see you throw it away over a dog.

it'd be easier to send the dog to a shelter (don't tell the wife) and just say that you saw the gate open when you got home. Hell drive around "looking" for the mutt for a while to show concern for her feelings.

The kids are teenagers.

at worst he'd get joint custody, but wouldn't it say a lot about his wife that she'd choose the dog over her family?

the problem with giving her an ultimatum though, is that even if she gets rid of the dog, she's going to be very bitter for a long time to come. you don't want that sh't festering.

Step 1: Buy Chew Toy for Dog
Step 2: Give Chew Toy to Dog
Step 3: Profit

All kidding aside, my first dog would chew anything and everything when he was a puppy. To stop this, we would get him reindeer antlers and rawhide for him to chew on.

The problem immediately resolved itself.

Put a little hot sauce in his kibble.

Step 1: Buy Chew Toy for Dog
Step 2: Give Chew Toy to Dog
Step 3: Profit

All kidding aside, my first dog would chew anything and everything when he was a puppy. To stop this, we would get him reindeer antlers and rawhide for him to chew on.

The problem immediately resolved itself.

The dog has chew toys and raw hide. She hides those and chews on everything else.

Just put your stuff up out of reach and when your gone put the dog in its cage. Mine chewed up my 150 dollar 3d glasses too and now she stays in the cage when Im gone.
Shes 3 years old too so its not just young dogs who do this.

Back