My variation of a North South Choke [video]

ThePainFactory

I train Ninjas
@Blue
Reaction score
I saw a post on here with people having trouble finishing the North South. I had trouble finishing it for years. Finally I decide to throw out everything I thought I knew and start from scratch. Here is the choke I developed. I think this variation is one of the strongest chokes in grappling. Hope this helps.

Follow Up Video that better explains the position

Last edited:
Nice variation. I'll practice this tomorrow in training.

Any chance you could break it down for me a little more? Where exactly are you positioning the crook of your arm and what angle should your arm be? It was a bit hard to tell from the video.

Just added a follow up video to better show the position. The most important detail is how you use your body pressure setting up the head before you try to finish the choke

That was really helpful, thanks:) I normally have a lot of trouble with the North/South

I use this position/movement myself as a means of tightening up the choke and forcing the opponent's head into position, but I would feel vulnerable to a bridging reversal if I stayed in this position to finish, even though I'm sure the pressure is immense. (Note: I don't have any trouble finishing with the conventional sink-back-and-drop-your-shoulder finish.)

I use this position/movement myself as a means of tightening up the choke and forcing the opponent's head into position, but I would feel vulnerable to a bridging reversal if I stayed in this position to finish, ev. en though I'm sure the pressure is immense. (Note: I don't have any trouble finishing with the conventional sink-back-and-drop-your-shoulder finish.)

The way the pressure is and having your free hand to control their hip makes bridging next to impossible. When first learning it though exspect to get bridged a few times

The way the pressure is and having your free hand to control their hip makes bridging next to impossible. When first learning it though exspect to get bridged a few times

Interesting. I'll play around with it and see how it goes. Always good to have more options, anyway.

I do it this way, when im executing the one handed choke, but sometimes I cant get it, I guess I do not have the right position, then I have to switch to the normal one, no arm in, which 99% of the times gets the job done, there is just one tough no vein mother fucker in my gym that can take it, and there is no way to choke him out. But, I see that you get completely under his chin with your back I will try this today...

Cool, thanks for posting this - I had started the recent thread with trouble on the N/S. Bookmarking the videos!

Cool, thanks for posting this - I had started the recent thread with trouble on the N/S. Bookmarking the videos!

That was the thread that inspired me to do this video. I really feel I could collapse someones skull with this. I have had people tap from this sit up then pass out. I think it has something to do with pressure inside thier skull changing then suddenly returning to normal.

I can crush a cinder block with it, how much harder could it be to crush a head?

I can crush a cinder block with it, how much harder could it be to crush a head?

It would be awesome if you bought a pig head at a butcher and then see if you could crush it

I'm thinking the skull stands up to the force but it would be amazing nonetheless

Back