My unpopular opinion: Jared Leto will be a better Joker than Ledger was

Jesse Pinkman

Life's a risk, carnal
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heath Ledger was great playing what ever that was he played, it was like a teenage "I'm misunderstood" angst vibe mixed with a bum doing a drunken Tom Waits impression. Now I read somewhere that the fan theory is that joker was a war veteran and has PTSD and that's what made him crazy, but as a Batman fan I think Ledger didn't play anything like the joker really. The smile scars were stupid too, where he's pouting the entire movie. The Joker is insane, he laughs about everything, he would be just as violent but be super pleased about it. It's like he played some guy that took Kurt Cobain too seriously. Heath Ledger's death cemented his greatness in the role, but had he lived, no one would've really given a shit about it, he certainly wouldn't have won a fucking Oscar over the role (an Oscar for a Batman movie? Who would've thought that would ever happen), maybe a kid's choice or something. He did a good job playing whatever he played but that wasn't really the Joker.

[YT]OG2nEPYXL7c[/YT]

Leto actually looks like the joker, looks like he's taking the more comic kinda route with some of Mark Hamill's Joker mixed in. The tattoos are a little much but there are some comics where Joker has tattoos and such from prison. The metal teeth make sense as Batman could have broken his teeth out in the past, since Batman is a bit older and time has passed, they will have had a history together in these new movies. Leto is also a better actor, as he didn't have to die to win an Oscar, has an incredible resume under his belt.

TLDR: I think Jared will far surpass Ledger's joker.

Ok, since making this thread I've watched The Dark Knight about four or five times, watched Tim Burton's "Batman" about twice and have read Killing Joke about three times.

I think initially I was harsh on Ledger's performance, but he still wasn't really my preferred Joker. I still prefer the animated version, or close to.

I don't think Ledger was as bad as I initially remembered but he also still wasn't an Oscar winner in it. I don't like that he wore make up instead of having bleached skin, and maybe that's more of Nolans' fault for trying to make everything too real.

After Killing Joke, I do think that Ledger's performance isn't really based off the book. He's good at whatever he was, but not the Joker to me.

This being said, I still think Leto will be more like "the Joker" than Ledger.

Just read an story where Will smith said he have never met Leto and then Leto was in character 24/7 only time anyone spoke to him was when they were acting. So basicly he has let this role cosume him like Ledger.

I remember hearing stories about the Joker role challaging people who played it. Hope Leto comes out of it ok.

Bane was cheesy too. Tom Hardy was too small, he got pretty big and was still not a big Bane, he looked like he was 5'7"

No, he wont. Ledger made that movie. It was pretty boring and overdone outside of him.

Bane was cheesy too. Tom Hardy was too small, he got pretty big and was still not a big Bane, he looked like he was 5'7"

OMG this. I'm so tired of people going on about how big Tom Hardy got to play Bane. He's a shrimp and I think most people who think he's big are probably scrawny pencil necks. Muscular=/= big. He's under 200lbs and under 6ft. As a competive strength athlete I know tons of muscular and ripped guys who dwarf Hardy. Christian Bale is bigger than him FFS. I wish they would have gotten somebody of the right proportions like Hafthor Bjornson or Nathan Jones to play Bane, give him the traditional Bane mask and costume, then have whoever the fuck you want to voice him.

So this is just standard now for actors playing the joker. Maybe he's just an easy character to play.

A 5 Second clip and look how *****s take a 180 on a film

No, he wont. Ledger made that movie. It was pretty boring and overdone outside of him.

That whole series was pretty good, but there was too much silly shit in Nolan's Batman series. I felt it was cheesy to try and make everything too realistic.

Just read an story where Will smith said he have never met Leto and then Leto was in character 24/7 only time anyone spoke to him was when they were acting. So basicly he has let this role cosume him like Ledger.

I remember hearing stories about the Joker role challaging people who played it. Hope Leto comes out of it ok.

Jared Leto sent a live rat, a dead hog and bullets to his co-stars when they started filming Suicide Squad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...lets-stars-started-filming-Suicide-Squad.html

I think he will be ok. But I think the the dude playing Lex will steal the Batman/Suprerman movie.

Ledger did an outstanding job, but I don't think of him when I think of the Joker.

sounds like a lot of unnecessary actions for a stupid movie

A 5 Second clip and look how *****s take a 180 on a film

I didn't know what to think initially, but when Affleck was cast, I wasn't opposed to it, especially after the trailer, but after watching a lot of my old Batman stuff, Jared is a lot closer to the real Joker than Ledger would've been. I'm also saying this based off the subject matter they're basing these movies off of. It seems a lot more true to the already established story and not as much "Nolan'd up". There are things I liked about TDK but Leto will be better than Ledger.

yeah. you on it.

He was pretty outstanding! I loved Under the Red Hood. It's cool having darker Batman stuff, I'm really excited to see Killing Joke with Hamill.

I don't think Ledger's death made his performance any more memorable. He just fuckin killed it.

I think he will be ok. But I think the the dude playing Lex will steal the Batman/Suprerman movie.

Eisenberg is awesome. I like that Affleck got swole for it and Henry Cavill is an awesome Superman.

He was pretty outstanding! I loved Under the Red Hood. It's cool having darker Batman stuff, I'm really excited to see Killing Joke with Hamill.

I think it's great the studio has given the go for that movie it be R rated.

http://batman-news.com/2015/11/14/ronda-rousey-heath-ledger-joker-ufc-193/

Ronda Rousey compares herself to Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Overrated and dead unexpectedly at 28 perhaps?

In all seriousness, while I don't completely go back on my opinion I think Ledger was much better than I thought and we still haven't seen SS. I have way high hopes for Leto and do believe he's a great actor who on paper is far superior to Ledger. I think Rousey certainly is no motherfucking Heath

The joker is a stupid villain. Forcing a dark realistic theme onto these comics doesn't work because the source material is cheesy.

It's a super hero movie dude. I'm sure if I jumped in a pool of chemicals I wouldn't be made to look like a clown. I think the realism factor is what made Ledger not as good a Joker. Ledger played a joker that still listens to KoRn.

Idisagree with your assessment of Ledger's performance. I thought it was refreshing and pretty cool.

However, Jared Leto will do a fine job. We can agree on that.

http://batman-news.com/2015/11/14/ronda-rousey-heath-ledger-joker-ufc-193/

Ronda Rousey compares herself to Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Overrated and dead unexpectedly at 28 perhaps?

In all seriousness, while I don't completely go back on my opinion I think Ledger was much better than I thought and we still haven't seen SS. I have way high hopes for Leto and do believe he's a great actor who on paper is far superior to Ledger. I think Rousey certainly is no motherfucking Heath

79226.gif

I liked Jack's portrayal better, but I think Heath gave a better performance.

Mark Hamil is my favorite Joker by far. Literally set the example for the other Joker voice actors. You can hear some of his style in the newer guys.

I'm sure Leto will do fine if the writing is good.

Idisagree with your assessment of Ledger's performance. I thought it was refreshing and pretty cool.

However, Jared Leto will do a fine job. We can agree on that.

agree with SowingSeason (1 of the best posters here) the interpretation was a good 1.

ALSO AGREE WITH TS- I think Jared Leto will knock it outta the park.

1 of my favorite actors, i think he's been handed a trick bag. noone will give him proper chance, considering Heath Ledger passed.

i remember BEFORE he died, a poll saying that something like 40% of all fans thought Nicholson did an equal or better job, but now its impossible to find anyone who would say such a thing........

while i liked Ledger's interp, i think Jack did the better job of portraying the Joker as he has been traditionally written, and i think Jared will do the best job of any of them.

i remember BEFORE he died, a poll saying that something like 40% of all fans thought Nicholson did an equal or better job, but now its impossible to find anyone who would say such a thing........

What a funny poll that must've been, considering he died BEFORE the movie was released.

I'm not jumping on the wagon totally, but I definitely have a ticket. Leto looks like he's got the spirit of the role down, from what little we've seen of him.

It's a bit too early to have any real opinion on Leto's Joker.. But from what I've seen I don't like.

Ledger's darker take was excellent.

What a funny poll that must've been, considering he died BEFORE the movie was released.

hmmm, i will try and source it.

could have been critics that prescreened it, i cant remmeeber. only that it happened.

I liked Jack's portrayal better, but I think Heath gave a better performance.

Jack was good but I didn't like that they did the "Jack Napier" thing with him. I like The Killing Joke as far as Joker stories go, but I do think that Nicholson was a better Joker.

Leto is legit. I can see him doing an excellent job at any role he attempts, the joker included.

Can't get past the appearance all the shitty tattoos yeah getting tattoos shows just how insane the joker is.

He may be remembered as a better Joker if he dies more spectacularly during the filming.

It's easily the best news about this movie.

I'm talking about the animated The Killing Joke movie. Not suicide squad. It was a comic from 1988 and probably the most psychotic version of the Joker ever made.

he wasn't angsty, he was an anarchist. jared leto is a ***

I was sold on Ledger from the 2 second laugh in the very first teaser. You just knew it was something special

I remember having the teaser poster as my laptop background all first year of college thinking the summer would never come when I'd finally be able to see it. How time flies.

batman%20the%20joker%20posters%20why%20so%20serious%201440x2162%20wallpaper_www.wallpapername.com_71.jpg

I'm not jumping on the wagon totally, but I definitely have a ticket. Leto looks like he's got the spirit of the role down, from what little we've seen of him.

I think Leto is taking the role pretty seriously

Whatever happened to Heath Ledger anyway? His career seemed to die pretty quickly.

I said it multiple times: i don't think i'll be able to get pass the ridiculous clothes and tattoos. Otherwise, yeah, i think Leto kills it.

I really hate the look of Jared's Joker, but I still expect a solid performance out of him.

I enjoyed the version that Ledger portrayed. Laughing because you're "supposed to" seems the easy way out for filling this role, and is what many have done before him. From my perspective, Ledger discovered a different way to approach things and present the same 'insane/mad' traits with more than just the surface stereotype of the character everyone just assumes to expect.

Seriously... do you like anything?

I like tons of stuff, especially batman and the joker.
Do i like the current breed of crap movies and television you guys try so hard to defend even though it's garbage sauce? No.

Are you telling me for a minute this joker doesn't look fucking terrible? Is it my fault it looks bad and I'm saying it looks bad? Do i have to like EVERYTHING to be cool and accepted? Is that what you base your life around; who thinks you're cool for having a positive spin on everything? I would kill myself if I felt compelled to like everything simply for existing and being semi related to something I like. By that logic I would like my girlfiend's father and...no thanks.

Back