My unfortunate story about getting owned.

if you're not training with guys who can beat your ass, you dont get better.

roughing around the new guys or weaker guys might be fun to experiment with crazy shit, but you'll never use any of that crap in a real match.

the shin break is a very real possibility, any1 remember the match
between

Aerts & Filho?
Aerts threw a leg kick when you could still hear the echo of the gong, almost a cheap start.
And Filho blocked with his Karate shins which are known to be harder than Thaiboxing shins.

And as the match went on, Doctor stopped it even though Aerts was owning Filho,
the cut into Aerts shin was sooo deep, it was a GASH... YEOUCH

C'thon kudos to you for putting that up there. I get embarrassed all the time sparring with the younger kids down the gym. Damn near been knocked out by guys 10 years and 30lbs my junior on a number of occasions.
Out of interest what was your stand-up experience before taking up Muay Thai? I ask because I was wondering whether it was the head kick that in particular wrecked your shit or whether you'd come from a non-stand up background and it was just a matter of getting used to being smacked upside your dome?

Before training in MT, I had six months of boxing at the same gym but, for reasons you'll find in some of my threads in OT, never actually sparred.

I was in the ring with Larry again today, he's a good guy. He told me beforehand that since he's just started throwing high kicks, he doesn't know how to go soft with them yet - either he kicks hard or he loses his balance. He wasn't kicking me as hard as he could but it was hard.

Anyway, we did some of that again today and I didn't get kicked in the face at all. I also tried throwing high kicks myself for the first time, though i'm the most inflexible guy at the gym so I could throw to his body but I couldn't reach his head.

WatcH OuT said:
Well I remember my first time I got hit with various of kicks to my head (helmet) in WTF TKD tournemants lol

First time I got hit I just went mad and angry kept kicking the shit out of my body and my opponent even when the ref broke up the fight ! I lost my fight but bc of my stupidity and not really knowing the TKD game.

Also when you got hit very hard on your nose is a fucked up feeling first time !

I also got KTFO one time when sparring my TKD buddy for fun (well it was very hard actually) and hit me with spinning back kick (bandae dollyo tchagi) frontal on my face. I only can say you don't feel shit and when you wake up you are like WTF did happen.

When I got hit by highkick on my face, I am totally out for revenge and would like to take revenge for what he did too me.
I don't know that's the right attitude instead of just getting over it and do your job but I am not a pro or wahtever so... My revenge is always over when I can hit him back :)

The only thing it's a little bit frustrating when you get hit by a highkick on your face by a friend or in competition, but you better get over it and stick on your game and try to sett things right away.

i've never been able to get over getting hit in the nose, my whole face feels weird in a bad way. everyother place (except the nuts) is fine.

Great story cthon everybody gets it.

?- did you have a mouth guard in?

KingSnake said:
Great story cthon everybody gets it.

?- did you have a mouth guard in?
Yes, I did, but my jaw wasn't clenched. It wan't hanging open, but it was sort of loose.

yeah Thai guys naturally develop their shins on the most part, only old school
go out and condition the crap out fo them.
Karate guys condition their shins just like their knuckles.
In K-1 guys like Hug, Filho, Satake, all known to have shins of steel.
if they were to crack shins with Aerts, Hoost, they would kill them.

VampireMonk said:
yeah Thai guys naturally develop their shins on the most part, only old school
go out and condition the crap out fo them.
Karate guys condition their shins just like their knuckles.
In K-1 guys like Hug, Filho, Satake, all known to have shins of steel.
if they were to crack shins with Aerts, Hoost, they would kill them.

I know Kyokushin is heavy into conditioning but any Thai fighter worthy of the name has shins of steel.

No one is good at something the first time they try it. Get in there and practice the techniques until you master it.
We all lose. Fedor has lost, Royce has lost, even Rickson has lost, whether he wants to admit it or not. Perseverance is what seperates us.

i got caught w/ a highkick sparring once. the guy told me b4 hand taht he never kicks ( he used to be a boxer) so u can imagine how shocking it was to get caught when he faked a jab and i was hit w/ a highkick. it didn't really hurt even though i knew it hit hard, it just shocked me real bad. then he came in w/ a hand combo that knocked my jaw outta place for a few days.

Sometimes getting "Owned" in training helps you learn. Just ask your trainer or partner for some more tips and ask your partner to throw some light kicks you are having trouble defending and just work up from there.

Back