My tutorial about the Muay Thai Kick

Lucas Coradini

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Hi, there!

So I just published this video with my considerations about the shin kick and how elastic energy created by a step is a big part of it, I hope y'all like it and if that's the case consider hitting the like buttom and subscribing to my channel :) More videos about technique, training tips and the like will come in the near future.

ENGLISH SUBTITLES AVAILABLE

Enjoy:

I'd surely appreciate the input from my fellow sherdoggers <Moves>

Edit:
New intro to the channel

Last edited:
It's interesting to see how much emphasis you put into the arm movements of the roundhouse kick, plus I've never really seen anyone talk about prepping the kick with the rear arm elbow up as a guard.

Thanks for your input @Gym Turtle ! I hope it made sense for you as much as it does for me

The video was really easy to understand and the subtitles were spot on.

One suggestion though.

I wish the video had more emphasis on posture during the kick, because that kinda seems like a widely debated thing among fighters and the most noticeable variation between kicks. Some people lean back more, while some have a more upright posture when they throw a kick.

Keep it up with the videos! If your next instructional videos are as in-depth with the motions and mechanics of the technique, they'll be great resources for beginners and others in the sport.

I know exactly how I'll approach that, thank you so much for the idea!

I have a question that hopefully you can answer;

Can you tell me the differences in mechanics between a low kick and mid-high kick?

Whenever I see people training Muay Thai kicks they kick "upwards". As you are in your video. On your spherical bag it is probably the only way you can kick and it usually is the only way when someone is holding Thai pads.

But are the mechanics for kicking a leg at knee height or lower the same?

I can't seem to do solo low kicks without spinning 180-360° . But the kick upwards for mid or higher allows reloading for successive kicks without spinning 180°.
Is the technique the same aside from upward angle?
Is there a way to do multiple low kicks in shadow boxing without spinning?

I have a question that hopefully you can answer;

Can you tell me the differences in mechanics between a low kick and mid-high kick?

Whenever I see people training Muay Thai kicks they kick "upwards". As you are in your video. On your spherical bag it is probably the only way you can kick and it usually is the only way when someone is holding Thai pads.

But are the mechanics for kicking a leg at knee height or lower the same?

I can't seem to do solo low kicks without spinning 180-360° . But the kick upwards for mid or higher allows reloading for successive kicks without spinning 180°.
Is the technique the same aside from upward angle?
Is there a way to do multiple low kicks in shadow boxing without spinning?
Low kick you aim lower, chop downwards. Its similar on mechanics in terms of keeping the arms right for as counterweights, and driving the hips forward, but the leg you drive the weight down to put it all on the leg. Similar to striking a small spot with a hammer

I'll do a video on it, but I feel like one of the main differences is that when kicking low you'll sit on the base leg, bringing your weight downwards (regardless of chopping down or making it more horizontal), while when you're kicking higher you get triple extension (heel, knee and hip)

About shadowboxing... if you're going through the target (as you should) when kicking you will not end facing the same way regardless of height.

I'll do a video sharing my thoughts about kicking in shadowboxing and one about low kicks very soon, thanks for the ideas ;)

I’m a simple man - see Lucas video = auto-like :). Nice breakdown and in-depth guide.

Back