My Training Video

wel you obviously need formal training, but it seems controlled and if no one is getting hurt and you are having fun, its all good.

Have you guys considered signing up as a Gracie garage?

If you don't have any academies nearby, this is a really good idea. From everything I've heard, their blue belt curriculum is solid. Practice the bejesus out of that stuff and you'll be amazed at how much easier--and more awesome--jiu-jitsu becomes.

The club where I've been training for the last four years recently closed down, so our students have all gone to other gyms. I am always happy to see our old students walk into my new gym, because their basics (hip movement, breakfalls, frames, posture and base, etc.) are so solid: at the old gym we really stressed that with our white belts, and it shows. They can't berimbolo for shit, but they know how to escape mount and how to do a hip bump.

Having a good foundation is important for safety, but it also gives you the tools you need to learn the more complex and interesting stuff. Seriously, it might seem boring to just drill breakfalls over and over again, but we all do it for a reason.

I won't knock your training space...we basically started in a garage with puzzle mats and no heat...However we had the rare occurrence of having a black belt with us. Join a gym learn the right way and use your space for practice.....and please stop starting standing someone will get hurt.

Where in Michigan are you? I am very familiar with the MMA scene up there and can help you find a gym.

Have you guys considered signing up as a Gracie garage?

Yeah we are thinking about it. It would be kind of cool.

Where in Michigan are you? I am very familiar with the MMA scene up there and can help you find a gym.

I have checked out all the gyms in my area. There are two gyms right now in my city, and both are open in the evenings only, and I work full time 2nd shift so theres not much I can do.

And for the record, yes they are puzzle mats. But they are pretty good ones, they are like 3 inches thick and they cost around $700 for the set. So its not like we bought some yoga mats from walmart and started slamming eachother on them. Believe me I KNOW that we should join an actual gym, thats a no brainer. I know without the guidance of an instructor its hard for us to have a real structured practice, but we are going to start drilling more and we have a tv and dvd player in the garage now so we can atleast watch instructional DVD's. Better than nothing.

Dear yellow pants: I'm not going to be mean, so let's work on the positive. You like the outside leg trip a lot, but I'll tell you what you're doing wrong with it. When you trip your opponent, the sweeping foot is still on the ground. Look up "osoto gari" on youtube (as it is called in judo) and you will see that you are supposed to:

1) Pull him toward you
2) Lean in and kick your closest leg forward
3) Push him
4) Kick the leg backward, and don't stop when you hit his leg. Keep driving your leg backwards and pushing his body forward.

Back