My Top 10 Greatest Horror Movies of All Time

I would say it independently meets the criteria for each of horror, action, sci fi and romance.

The original is pretty clearly a horror, woman is stalked up unstoppable monster with loads of atmospheric scenes playing up the tension of the chase and his nature shown as horrifying several times.

Stuff like Aliens and Predator is I think more on the boundaries, has horror elements to it but also has more focus on action rather than just escaping the monster/s.

The problem I'd say is people are sticking to modern mainstream standards which has turned horror into nothing but very obvious slashers.

Last edited:
The remake was good. Being a huge Evil Dead fan I think they were smart to not try and replace Bruce as Ash and going strictly horror. I dug it.

Evil Dead 2 is the greatest movie ever made.
You know, while I enjoyed Evil Dead 2, it's honestly my least favorite of them all.
Not that it's bad, just didn't tickle me quite as much as the first one

Don't get the love for Halloween. Gotta be the most over rated horror movie of all time.

The other big "is it horror?" or not I spose is Lynch, Eraserhead I'd guess most would say yes but Lost Highway and Mullholland Drive could also I think be argued.

Love Nightmare on Elm Street, it just didn't quite scare me as much as the Witch. Also I'm just a huge Robert Eggers and Ari Aster fan

For me, The Witch is one of those movies that transcends it's genre. I mean it's horror because that's what it is. But it's also a painstakingly accurate period drama. Take out any elements of what could be considered horror and you're still left with a really interesting period piece of a time and place that isn't shown all much in film. If it were just a movie about pilgrims migrating to the states while giving everything up to try to make a life in a foreign land, with their thoughts and superstitions about witches as a backdrop and how it affects their interactions you still have a great movie

It's still fairly new, but I wouldn't be surprised if It Follows were to wind up on my top 10 horror flicks if I really say down and tried to figure one out.

How about if I just go with ten of my favorite horror films in no particular order? Otherwise, I'd be here all day long trying to choose just ten & then painstakingly trying to rate them. Pardon my language, but fuck that. It's like demanding a parent to choose their favorite child.

1) BLACK CHRISTMAS ( 1974 )

2) EATEN ALIVE ( 1976 )

3) PRINCE OF DARKNESS ( 1987 )

4) AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON ( 1981 )

5) BLACK SUNDAY ( 1960 )

6) THE NAME OF THE GAME IS KILL! ( 1968 )

7) MANDY ( 2018 )

8) MARTYRS ( 2008 )

9) THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE ( 1974 )

10) THE CITY OF THE DEAD ( 1960 )

In the mouth of Madness legit scared shit outta me, so did the og Nightmare on Elm, and The Ring.

Maybe not in this order but

Exorcist
American Werewolf
Halloween
Blair Witch
OG Dawn Of the Dead
Wolfen
Black Christmas
Texas Chainsaw
When A Stranger Calls if we can consider it horror, but it isn't
Fright Night
OG Night Of The Living Dead
Inferno

In no particular order
  • The Exorcist
  • The Shining
  • Martyrs (original)
  • The VVitch
  • Night of the Living Dead
  • The Descent
  • Bone Tomahawk (horror?)
  • Train to Busan

after that it's tough to pick. Evil Dead 2, while the greatest movie ever made, is barely horror but if you insist go ahead and add that.

Ten favorites? I don't need this kind of pressure in my life.

1. John Carpenter's The Thing
2. John Carpenter's Halloween
3. Alien
4. Evil Dead
5. Night of the Living Dead
6. The Exorcist
7. The SHiNiNG
8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
9. Jaws
10. A Nightmare on Elm Street

Some recent horrors that are great but are shy of dethroning the greats mainly due to nostalgia.

1. Kill List
2. Let the Right One In
3. Hereditary
4. The VVitch
5. It Follows

The Blair Witch Project was the biggest disappointment. It doesn’t help that it spawned the shitty found footage trope either.

Back