My Thoughts on Yair Rodriguez/Jeremy Stephens

I liked Yair a lot more before I saw him act out last fight. I have a tough time overlooking it to appreciate him like it did

Where are people getting this Just Bleed always going for the knockout stuff from, by the way?
Didn't Jeremy turn into a wrestler in the third round despite needing a finish? The guy has a lot more decisions than he has finishes.

I like the guy, btw. But I think that statement is just wrong. He's never in really boring fights but he's also not the Just Bleed Disciple like some make him out to be.

That’s flat out absurd.

He took Yair down not to stall, but to GnP his head off.

1. Yair was running around the ring spamming oblique kicks to set up other shots. Jeremy put himself in harms way to pressure him most of the fight.

2. There’s a difference between neutralizing and working to finish a fight. Stephens landed significant GnP from the top and passed to half guard. When he realized how weak Yairs ground game was, it became his easiest path to victory.

Funny how you’re this Just Bleed critic, yet you don’t criticize Yair for running and backing up most fight looking to counter.

They both did what they needed to do for their paths to victory, Yair just came out with the decision in a 3 round fight. Stephens would’ve won a 5 rounder no doubt.

Funny how you’re this Just Bleed critic, yet you don’t criticize Yair for running and backing up most fight looking to counter.

Uh... Yair did a lot more damage in the fight? As evident by the fact that he won the fight? lmao

I know it's the hip and trendy thing to hate on Yair for being an eyepoking dirty cheater but let's be real here for a moment.

Yair was fortunate it got moved from a 5 rounder down to 3. Stephens almost certainly wins that fight if it was the 5 rounder it was originally scheduled to be.

Stephens showed that Yair is going to have MAJOR problems with good grapplers.

Uh... Yair did a lot more damage in the fight? As evident by the fact that he won the fight? lmao
I know it's the hip and trendy thing to hate on Yair for being an eyepoking dirty cheater but let's be real here for a moment.

No dumbass, Yair did awesome early ... like I said.

But he was fading fast, and got completely dominated, wilted in Round 3.

It's very simple, you win 2 rounds ... get molly-whooped in the 3rd ... and even though you were ready to lose/quit in round 3 ... if that's where the fight ends, you win.

The first 2 rounds won you the fight.

The point is, for dumbasses who need help to think/comprehend, is HAD the fight continued for Rounds 4 and 5, Yair would've lost.

You can get knocked down for a nine count at the end of round three and still win the fight, if you won the first two rounds. But anyone with a brain could tell, that if there were no rounds, and the fight continued you would get killed.

We learned absolutely nothing from this fight.
I disagree. We obviously already knew that yair was flashy, accurate and quick with his kicks... we also knew Jeremy is tough as nails and swings HARD. I think we learned quite a bit from Yair in this fight, there was plenty of grappling in round 1 that ended in a stalemate. In round 3, even when Jeremy was on top of Yair... el panthers defended well and continued to threaten with the triangle so that Jeremy wasn’t able to go ape shit on him. I was impressed with both men. I think (rankings) Yair should jump into top 5, but Jeremy should not fall below 10th

Where are people getting this Just Bleed always going for the knockout stuff from, by the way?
Didn't Jeremy turn into a wrestler in the third round despite needing a finish? The guy has a lot more decisions than he has finishes.

I like the guy, btw. But I think that statement is just wrong. He's never in really boring fights but he's also not the Just Bleed Disciple like some make him out to be.

I will never forget him spamming takedowns on Pettis and making a boring wrestling match out of what should have been a war.

The point is, for dumbasses who need help to think/comprehend, is HAD the fight continued for Rounds 4 and 5, Yair would've lost.

Ok Nostradamus. In my past life experience I've learnt that people that can't get their point across without insulting others over petty things such as their opinion on an MMA bout are usually not the highest IQ specimen.
lol @ thinking Yair would've fought the same way if the fight was a 5-rounder. Was the first thing the commentators noted, aswell. But I guess you're better educated about MMA than 2 former UFC champs.

A lot of Yair's cardio issues were due to the ridiculous adrenaline dump in the 2nd, his cardio is better than this fight showed. Likely his TDD is as well, effective TDD is virtually impossible when you're that gassed

His gnp was atrocious and he was emotionally invested in going for the finish which made it even worse cause he lost any semblance of technique.

I think Yair would have outpointed or possibly finished him late in Mexico City, he gassed hard in this one cause he got emotional, lost composure, and overexerted himself going for the finish. That wouldn't have happened in Mexico City because they didn't have beef then.

Back