my thoughts on newaza randori vs. a judo 3rd dan

futang17

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I recently joined a judo club in chicago to improve my stand up game. I had the opportunity to roll against one of the volunteer sensei who's a 3rd dan. here's my thoughts:

-I was able to pass his guard into side control, but he had amazing hip movement, i was amazed at how he was able to shrimp away from me when i had his side.

-his side control and pins were crushing. It was like i was wrestling an anaconda, everytime i squirmed he held it tighter. i fought for underhooks so i can bridge out and when i did i was able take his back. i was able to take his back a few times, and he turtled up. however, he did not focus on protecting his neck from the turtle. i went for a lapel choke from the back but he was able to successful defend.

-he was able to mount me and got me in a keylock. however, i felt pressure in my ELBOW as opposed to my shoulder. tap and ended the match. an aside, 100% of the time i get keylocked in jiujitsu pressure was from the shoulder, but it's interesting in judo i felt it in my elbow.

after the randori he asked if i had an prior martial arts experience, i told him i was a blue in jiujitsu. he gave me a respectful smile and nodded.

of course when we were doing tachiwaza, he just LOL'd and made me his bitch (but in a nice way).

So what i wanted to say is, 3rd dan's are no joke!!! also the judo club spends about 60/40 tachiwaza vs. newaza. seems to be very complete. however i did rolled one of the brown belts, and he didn't seem to be ver proficient on the ground. seemed to want to maintain the pin then to go for a submission.

I found judo guys to be very very random. I have rolled with some brown belts who were tougher then some blackbelt national champs (other countries not america). Theres some judokas with amazing groundgame and some lackluster, will be very random.

I am pretty sure in judo submissions on shoulder are actually illegal, but with kimuras and keylocks its hard to tell what the person taps from so they accept it.

My old Judo instructor had a Catch background, and when sparring, he'd drop for leg locks on me. Of course, he knew I did BJJ and knew that i could defend leg locks (and didnt mind someone attempting them).

I found judo guys to be very very random. I have rolled with some brown belts who were tougher then some blackbelt national champs (other countries not america). Theres some judokas with amazing groundgame and some lackluster, will be very random.

I'm a judoka I couldn't agree more. If everyone here would understand/accept that the amount of shitty threads and even shittier discussion would go down by 20%.

A Judoka with solid newaza is an all round beast. The ability to take down opponents and submit them is what all grapplers should strive to achieve and its what MMA is needing.

A Judoka with solid newaza is an all round beast. The ability to take down opponents and submit them is what all grapplers should strive to achieve and its what MMA is needing.

i couldn't agree with you more. I found my stand up to be lackluster, like a retard trying to dance... hence the judo ;)

i couldn't agree with you more. I found my stand up to be lackluster, like a retard trying to dance... hence the judo ;)

True too. Most of the high level guys at my gym are originally judokas and my teachers are too. They are a tough bunch of motherfuckers.

I'm a judoka I couldn't agree more. If everyone here would understand/accept that the amount of shitty threads and even shittier discussion would go down by 20%.
Yeah - I'm with you too. Random.

I think it's random somewhat. I've rolled with Judo blackbelts and have crushed them easier than i've crushed some BJJ whitebelts. But I've also rolled with some Judo brown and bluebelts who were very good.

Prolly just like how some BJJ guys are really good and takedowns and some are novices.

True too. Most of the high level guys at my gym are originally judokas and my teachers are too. They are a tough bunch of motherfuckers.

I see your location is Paris, France.

France is a top level Judo nation, seriously good Judo there.

Demontfaucon is one of my favourites.

couldnt agree more, this is why i try to restrain myself from pulling guard during training.

i do wish bjj academies would spend a lil more time on the feet. Like another thread i read which described the most sad thing to see in mma. It's when a bjj'er is desperately trying to get a takedown on a striker and cant, they look so helpless and sad, lol

I think it's random somewhat. I've rolled with Judo blackbelts and have crushed them easier than i've crushed some BJJ whitebelts. But I've also rolled with some Judo brown and bluebelts who were very good.

Prolly just like how some BJJ guys are really good and takedowns and some are novices.

World class Judoka can get away with being poor on the ground because the rules dicate the game somewhat. The same can be said with world class BJJ guys and stand up grappling.

Thankfully not everyone likes/wants to be one dimentional or protected by current sport rules.

couldnt agree more, this is why i try to restrain myself from pulling guard during training.

i do wish bjj academies would spend a lil more time on the feet. Like another thread i read which described the most sad thing to see in mma. It's when a bjj'er is desperately trying to get a takedown on a striker and cant, they look so helpless and sad, lol

my bjj academy is starting to implement starting from stand up for randori, also the first technique of the training is a takedown. although it helps with the standup, the details you get at a judo dojo is lightyears ahead of a bjj academy

Judo + BJJ makes for a very solid grappler.....

my 6 dan sensei is a beast on the ground. the others? not so much.. but like TS said, a lot of the judo guys surprise me with their hip flexibility.

Quality dependent on a lot of things...

Biggest factor is the mentality of the importance of ne-waza. Some (a lot!) look down on it...If this is the thinking then I'd assume they probably aren't as good. that could be a derrrrrr, but oh well

my bjj academy is starting to implement starting from stand up for randori, also the first technique of the training is a takedown. although it helps with the standup, the details you get at a judo dojo is lightyears ahead of a bjj academy

I started that danaher thread and what i liked about from what i have read of his classes is that free sparring always starts from the feet, which i thought was very cool. I don't think midget wrestling serves a purpose other than to allow more people to roll in a given area.

World class Judoka can get away with being poor on the ground because the rules dicate the game somewhat. The same can be said with world class BJJ guys and stand up grappling.

Thankfully not everyone likes/wants to be one dimentional or protected by current sport rules.

This

I agree 100%

Back