My thoughts on Matt Brown and his current status

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
First off, I don't understand this matchmaking and especially how Silva was the favorite.

Brown has just steamrolled Mike Pyle who's ranked higher than Silva, where as Silva had lost to Stun Gun, then Koed a no name.

Second off, this matchmaking made no sense for me other than to give the fans an entertaining fight. How does Brown go from fighting Condit (#2 at the time) to fighting Silva (#14), it seems like they were penalizing Brown (#7) for getting hurt.

Third, at this point you have to give Brown a top 5 guy and you have 4 options to do so.

-Lombard--this would be Brown's worst option in my opinion. I see Brown trying to press the action early and getting caught by a Lombard bomb or getting ragdolled like Shields did. Face it, no one in the WW division should want to fight Lombard right now...Diaz had it right.

-Nick Diaz--I dont think Diaz comes back for this fight unless he is both paid well and guaranteed a title shot with a win. This fight in my opinion would be a toss up as both would keep the fight standing with high volume striking.

-Winner of Lawler/Berger--depending on how Rory Mac/Woodley turns out, and especially if its a boring decision by Rory, that could bump this fight to a #1 contender fight, espeically if Dana's boy Lawler wins...Dana wants Lawler v Hendricks 2--I dont think Brown beats either of these 2.

-Winner of RoryMac/Woodley--especially if Rory Mac wins a boring decision, you could see Dana turn him over to Brown instead giving Rory a title shot. I think Brown pressures Rory early and doesnt allow Rory to get comfortable, therefore landing a KO after volume striking.

I dont think Brown would fight Stun Gun...I feel that this fight doesnt really do anything for Brown, similar to the Erick Silva fight.

Brown also has not done enough for a title shot yet, mainly because the UFC hasnt given him the opportunity other than the Condit fight which he unfortunately got hurt.

Sidenote--How long is Saff out for...could we see Lombard v Saff this summer sometime, the fight definately makes sense?

As best said...the welterweight picture is a BEAUTIFUL mess right now...lets just hope Joe Silva comes up with a good solution.

Not as bad as Costa looked...and Costa's a beast...would hate to run into him in a dark alley

There's a difference between Rockhold's kicks and Erick Silva's... and Mein's body punch for that matter

EDIT: Anyone know if Brown has ever been rocked by a head shot? His chin seems ridiculous.. Body seems like his weakness

Matt Brown will walk through most of the WW ranks.

But he's going to lose to Lawler, GSP, Condit, Woodley, Hendricks, Lombard, McDonald and probably Maia and Ellenberger.

He'd lose to both Diaz brothers if they ever decide to fight again.

One thing for sure TS...your well put thread highlights the fact that the WW division is in beast mode right now. So many exciting matchups waiting to happen at WW.

Matt Brown will walk through most of the WW ranks.

But he's going to lose to Lawler, GSP, Condit, Woodley, Hendricks, Lombard, McDonald and probably Maia and Ellenberger.

He'd lose to both Diaz brothers if they ever decide to fight again.

That is only as of now, that does not factor in the extent to which he improves even within his next two fights. There's a good chance he still loses to all of those guys, but we have to really analyze his fighting level now vs, say, back when Baczynski was making short work of the guy. Clearly, it can be established that he is a fundamentally different fighter, no? And so this has to be factored in as well in his next couple fights. I honestly suspect he would trample Nate Diaz if they fought at a catchweight fight and Nick Diaz as well. When you consider that Nick Diaz seems to be a sort of mental wreck now and has not fought in well over a year, an assumption that Brown loses to the guy is a pretty severe underestimation.

Yeah last nights fight didn't make much sense and seemed like a way to give Brown a win in his home town. I hope he fights Lombard next. He needs to fight someone ranked ahead of him for once and someone with good takedowns. He has got nothing but low to mid level guys on this win streak.

I think brown could beat lawler, dhk, burger and Rory.

Brown and DHK are both can-crushers. They have never defeated a top 10 opponent. I don't know why anyone is putting them in title contention.

Rory/Tyron winner gets next title shot.

Lombard should fight Lawler/Ellenberger winner for a shot after Rory/Tyron.

DHK and Brown should fight each other again. Winner gets the loser of Rory/Tyron or Lawler/Ellenberger.

First off, I don't understand this matchmaking and especially how Silva was the favorite.

Brown has just steamrolled Mike Pyle who's ranked higher than Silva, where as Silva had lost to Stun Gun, then Koed a no name.

Second off, this matchmaking made no sense for me other than to give the fans an entertaining fight. How does Brown go from fighting Condit (#2 at the time) to fighting Silva (#14), it seems like they were penalizing Brown (#7) for getting hurt.

Third, at this point you have to give Brown a top 5 guy and you have 4 options to do so.

-Lombard--this would be Brown's worst option in my opinion. I see Brown trying to press the action early and getting caught by a Lombard bomb or getting ragdolled like Shields did. Face it, no one in the WW division should want to fight Lombard right now...Diaz had it right.

-Nick Diaz--I dont think Diaz comes back for this fight unless he is both paid well and guaranteed a title shot with a win. This fight in my opinion would be a toss up as both would keep the fight standing with high volume striking.

-Winner of Lawler/Berger--depending on how Rory Mac/Woodley turns out, and especially if its a boring decision by Rory, that could bump this fight to a #1 contender fight, espeically if Dana's boy Lawler wins...Dana wants Lawler v Hendricks 2--I dont think Brown beats either of these 2.

-Winner of RoryMac/Woodley--especially if Rory Mac wins a boring decision, you could see Dana turn him over to Brown instead giving Rory a title shot. I think Brown pressures Rory early and doesnt allow Rory to get comfortable, therefore landing a KO after volume striking.

I dont think Brown would fight Stun Gun...I feel that this fight doesnt really do anything for Brown, similar to the Erick Silva fight.

Brown also has not done enough for a title shot yet, mainly because the UFC hasnt given him the opportunity other than the Condit fight which he unfortunately got hurt.

Sidenote--How long is Saff out for...could we see Lombard v Saff this summer sometime, the fight definately makes sense?

As best said...the welterweight picture is a BEAUTIFUL mess right now...lets just hope Joe Silva comes up with a good solution.

Maybe I am missing something, but when was lawler Dana's boy

I think the UFC would have to be crazy to turn down a Lawler-Brown fight, assuming Robbie beats Ellenberger. You'd be hard pressed to find a match-up in the UFC that sounds more exciting on paper. It's got FOTY written all over it.

Back