1. The Sherdog Forums are currently experiencing technical difficulties, and we are working on it. We apologize for the inconvenience.

My third external hard drive just died..

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Snowfist, May 13, 2014.

1. Snowfist

Snowfist Purple Belt

These things are just unreliable. I want a website that is well known and high quality where I can store my Photos. I have a high end DSLR so my photos are very large files as well. I want to easily be able to take photos on and off. Any ideas?

Thanks fellas

2. Absolute Power

Absolute Power A Real Human Bean

3. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

I just sent a 1tb hard drive back for repairs. No idea if they'll be able to recover my data but I salvaged 400 gigs of photos before it was unusable. The other 100 gigs of files and such is unknown but I have most of it on a broken laptop that I know how to fix but it sucks. Either way. I'm going to keep whatever they send back but I'm going to keep special care when using it and keep two copies of the good stuff. I think those hard drives need to really be a back-up, as in you have two of everything...

I had a ADADA Classic CH11 FYI... I didn't realize it works like a record player with spinning parts etc until it started making scratchy noises and people were saying it will die sooner than later. So I filled my current laptop with everything I could and they were right, it died.

My next plan is to use several memory cards to store my work based on project etc. Just bought a 128 gig card off ebay for $90. Expensive but I have a lot of photos too... I also post to flickr, facebook & youtube depending on what I shoot so it's not all totally lost if I lose it but my RAW files would be gone.

My plan is to buy several 16gig cards and put a years worth on each, or projects depending on the sizes. I have a Nikon D800 and files are massive. I love it but the memory adds up fast...

Online storage is a good idea but I just don't want to pay for it year after year in case I don't want to anymore or can't or whatever. I'd rather keep files in a safe place and take my chances... if I get robbed or my house burns down then c'est la vie... it'll suck either way...... anyways, that's my plan so far. Still waiting to get my ext hd back....

4. 2014Classic**

2014Classic** Orange Belt

Go to the cloud.

5. 2014Classic**

2014Classic** Orange Belt

6. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

What brand were the drives, and how long until they broke?

7. the ax murderer

the ax murderer Looking At The Stars.

You have to be fairly delicate with external hard drives, plus if you buy cheap then you're looking for trouble.

I bought a Toshiba 1TB two years ago and have had no issues.

8. TheGoodCat

TheGoodCat Brown Belt

Quit filling it with tranny pr0n

9. bcordova

bcordova Brown Belt

I buy the 2TB drives for Mac for my video stuff. I buy them from best buy. Nothing has ever gone wrong with any of my stuff. Is it just full? Buy another one. It happens.

10. Iroh

Iroh The Dragon of the West Platinum Member

My condolences.

11. Rhood

Rhood Gold Belt

I have a graveyard dedicated to this type of stuff, and I'm always the Undertaker.

12. GSP_37

GSP_37 Titanium Belt

I have 4 Seagates in use, and so far so good. I keep them in containers that bugs can't get into.

When my laptop and desktop internal harddrives f'd up where it wouldn't let me boot, when they were replaced, I noticed they were Western Digital and maybe Toshiba.

13. RabidJesus

RabidJesus Poly-Bi Belt

Im sorry for your loss

14. taurus

taurus Tiger knee belt

I don't hord so much data, but my entire digital photo library is on my 1Tb Toshiba external drive.

I'm talking family and friends pictures from 10 years ago... forget about movies/music/tv shows, those pictures mean the world to me. If the external drive died, i don't know what i would do (i seriously need to get additional one and back that stuff up every year). That sucks, OP...

EDIT: missread the post, i thought you were trying to save data. Anyways, this story is good read for anyone, don't put all of your coins (zeroes and ones in this case) on the Cloud, there's always some ovezealous hacker waiting for his shot at 5 mins of fame. o (http://www.wired.com/2012/08/mat-honan-data-recovery/all).

sorry for probably stupid question, but isn't this essentially the worse thing? From what i understand, memory cards are crapping out more frequently than external hard drives (could be wrong). You're just exchanging one type of memory for another (more expensive, also).

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  15. SherdogGoat

SherdogGoat Platinum & Braco Belt Banned

I have a maxell 1 TB and I bought it almost 4 years ago. No problems at all.

16. DownwardStrike

DownwardStrike Purple Belt

My freezer says hello to the fallen

17. GSP_37

GSP_37 Titanium Belt

Why not also save it to a Verbatim AZO or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R?

18. CreepingTom

CreepingTom Yellow Belt

19. dizzydean

dizzydean Blue Belt

I've got a 4 year old Western Digital. I've had no problems with it.

20. mushishi

mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

TS, do you even defrag, bro?