My self designed offseason wrestling program... Am I doing it right

I would include some kind of LISS conditioning, and drop the more intense conditioning. The intense conditioning can be added back in later, when you're dialling down the strength work a bit.

Drop or reduce the explosive work at the beginning of each workout. At most one exercise, done 5x3. Although I think it'd be better to focus on strength for now. Later you'd start including some dynamic lifts, and then finally jumping exercises. It's not that you can't do them now, but you won't get the most out of them or your other training that way.

My preference would be for a template like

Day 1
Squat
Press/Bench
Assistance (Upper back, Abs, PC)

Day 2
Deadlift
Press/Bench
Assistance

Day 3
Squat
Press/Bench
Assistance

Probably using something similar to TM or 5/3/1.

I would include some kind of LISS conditioning, and drop the more intense conditioning. The intense conditioning can be added back in later, when you're dialling down the strength work a bit.

Drop or reduce the explosive work at the beginning of each workout. At most one exercise, done 5x3. Although I think it'd be better to focus on strength for now. Later you'd start including some dynamic lifts, and then finally jumping exercises. It's not that you can't do them now, but you won't get the most out of them or your other training that way.

My preference would be for a template like

Day 1
Squat
Press/Bench
Assistance (Upper back, Abs, PC)

Day 2
Deadlift
Press/Bench
Assistance

Day 3
Squat
Press/Bench
Assistance

Probably using something similar to TM or 5/3/1.

Me likes this plan better. Maybe throw in some hyperextensions or some ab work if you're feeling up to it.

While I won't advice you of anything, since I don't know shit, I really like this video, and feel like sharing it.

So while I very much am in favor of simplified training, and not trying to replicate your sport overly in the weight room...am I the only one that gets eyerolly when a powerlifter says they don't believe in sport specific training, and then....do a program that contains band and chain work, and tons of lifts specifically to address weak points only in the lifts that are contested in powerlifting, while clearly demphasizing for example pulling strength?

Just because we don't try to duplicate the sport in the weight room doesn't mean we can't recognize that different sports do legitimately emphasize different attributes, and let that effect our excercise selection, volume and timing.

Back