my secret to "real" cardio...

my big toe said:
Yeah, there's no doubt that it works. I bet it's safer than EPO, too. I could have used this thing back when I was competing. I always trained at sea level, and then did some races at altitude like the Mammoth stage race. I found out the hard way that you should either go the day before the race or two+ weeks early. The first time I went 3 days early...by the 3rd stage I was toast.

Now, how do you explain to your wife/girlfriend that you sleep in an oxygen tent...:)

it is much safer than epo...

people on epo develop blood viscosity problems and develop clots...

my big toe said:
It looks like the IOC banned them at the 2000 games, I was wondering if this was going to fly with the IOC. I think they said it was considered "unsafe". Here's another article on it:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/articles/scni5a8.htm
...Among them was Michelle Jones, winner of the silver medal in the first ever Olympic triathlon. The hypoxic tent system, which is manufactured by an American firm run by the former British Olympic cyclist Shaun Wallace, costs

Yeah... Lance & Co, with all that Scientific training and scientific substances that no-one is ever on.

I do believe in altitude training. When I was in the Seychelles, the humidity at times was high and that alone was enough to push me onto another level. There just wasn't alot of air to breath.

sorry but i dont understand, why is train low,sleep high, better than train high ,sleep low. surely the second would allow for harder training but also better recovery???

Training at altitude is harder, but the point of the simulated altitude system is to improve aerobic performance at lower altitudes. To do this the body must acclimatize to the lower percentage of oxygen in the air, and one of the ways the body does that is through the increase of red blood cells. An Increase in total red blood cell mass - This means more red blood cells are available to transport oxygen to the muscle cells. More oxygen to the working muscle cells will result in improved aerobic performance.

Whilst sleeping at sea level or even better sleeping in a high oxygen room will aid recovery, the point of the simulated altitude training systems is to make your body respond to an altitude of say 9000 feet so that it will produce more red blood cells and thus inprove aerobic performance.

Training at altitude for 1 to 2 hrs a day Would have far less effect on the body's ability to acclimatize, therefore a much lower increase in red blood cell production. Compared with 8 hrs a night of sleep at altitude (or simulated altitude).

Training at altitude is recommended by Hypoxico Inc to be done a few times per week as well as sleeping at a simulated altitude.

I don't know dude..I spend 1000+ dollars on filters for the house to make sure the Air quality is the best it can be, who knows what kind of air quality that shit is pumping into your lungs 24/7 like that.

I have no idea what the air quality is like that the generator pumps in, I've never used a simulated altitude system. But I have read a few studies on the topic of altitude training, which suggested the way to get the best out of altitude training was to sleep high train low.

I live in a sparsely populated mountains area at about 3000 feet above sea level, the air quality here is great, I don't know what it would be like to use an altitude simulator in a densely populated city at sea level with a high pollution reading!

But I would definitely like to try one of these simulators for a couple of months.

Damn this sounds like a really great invention, I only wish I could afford such a thing.

You say you sleep at altitude and train and sea level. Wouldnt it be more efficient to sleep at sea level and train at higher altitudes?

Vehement said:
You say you sleep at altitude and train and sea level. Wouldnt it be more efficient to sleep at sea level and train at higher altitudes?

that's the million dollar question

Polynikes said:
yes, sleeping high and training low is much better than sleeping high, and training high...

you have practically zero recovery time if you do that...

plus, you will actually train your body to fail earlier, and you'll suffer detraining effects...

training high and sleeping low
is different though, b/c you're returning back to sea level for recovery, and you're red blood cell count grows...

remember when tito said that big bear actually broke his body down? that's why...

as for respiratory diseases and negative side effects, i'm not a doctor, but i'd say talk to one first...

that's what you kinda suggest here polynikes, it's a little unclear which you mean...

Hasn't Tabata protocol been shown to increase the VO2 peak by 14%?

Isn't that by far the cheaper and easier solution?

I mean, I can see why this would work, but if I can sprint for a few minutes and get similar results, hell even half the results, isn't that a better option?

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Hasn't Tabata protocol been shown to increase the VO2 peak by 14%?

Isn't that by far the cheaper and easier solution?

I mean, I can see why this would work, but if I can sprint for a few minutes and get similar results, hell even half the results, isn't that a better option?

i don't know, i haven't read many studies on tabata...

i know it works though, as i've done it quite a few times (tabata)...

now that we've been using the tent for awhile, i should probably update this thread. thanks for bringing it back up...

my grappling conditioning is out of control. i had surgery so i had a big layoff last year, but my cardio is back to old levels, even though i've only been back to full speed sparring for about 2 months or so. i'm stronger and more apt to going for longer periods of time than before, but my recovery isn't as fast. i'm usually sore longer, but when i completely heal, i feel strangely well???...???...

my brother sleeps in the tent, and i use the exercise mask. i'll go up to about 10 or 11k and ride my bike trainer for about 20 to 30 minutes. i'll do drills, speed tempos, and sometimes just casual riding. i've had workouts on that mask that have been so intense that i've not been able to stay awake for the rest of the day, i've had the shits, and i've been so knackered that i've been sorta confused for minutes at a time. there was one day that i did about 45 minutes of hard tempo riding at 11k, and i couldn't stay awake the rest of the day, and i had to miss dinner and bjj practice b/c of it...

b/c of that day, my legs were so sore that i could barely walk for about 5 days afterwards, and my hams and quads had an unusual weakness to them. i've been sore before, but this was something completely different. i've since then learned to respect that damn machine, and i'll never be brave against it again...

shit, sometimes i'll just put the mask on and watch some tv while i just pedal away on the trainer...

to be honest, you run a risk of overtraining with that machine. your recovery times are cut back, so you gotta be careful with it. my brother has been shaving time off his 40k time trials like crazy. he's getting out of control on his bike, and he said that he could feel a difference in his turnover rate b/c of the machine. his cadence has increased, and he's doing it in a harder gear, without feeling any power lag behind the pedal stroke. for those that aren't cyclists, that's a big deal...

my grappling wind is better too. if anything, i got back to competition shape much faster while using the machine. i'm in the arnold's on march 3rd, so we'll see how the competition feels....

would i buy one myself? maybe when i get out of med school, done with residency, and i have some money to blow, i might buy one. my brother has a ton of money, so that's why he bought one. to someone who might want to save up to get one: i wouldn't unless you are trying to get on the usa cycling team or something. it makes a big deal, but it's not something to fuck around with. that damn thing will whip your ass if you let it, and it's done it to me...

i'd rather sleep in my bed and get less results lol. glad you put it out for the world to see tho so people can make the choice

So what happens if the power goes out while your asleep? Does the tent have enough volume to hold enough oxygen to tide you over if you don't wake up for 8 hours?

I'd spring for one of those computer back up power supplies if I was willing to slam down several grand for the tent.

Polynikes said:
i don't know, i haven't read many studies on tabata...

i know it works though, as i've done it quite a few times (tabata)...
The info I have shows that when the results were scientifically measured on tabata protocol (20-10 * 8), after several months, the VO2 max was increased by 14% and the anaerobic endurance went up by 28%.

This doesn't mean that these are average values, by no means, but it's good enough for me.

my grappling conditioning is out of control. i had surgery so i had a big layoff last year, but my cardio is back to old levels, even though i've only been back to full speed sparring for about 2 months or so. i'm stronger and more apt to going for longer periods of time than before, but my recovery isn't as fast. i'm usually sore longer, but when i completely heal, i feel strangely well???...???...
It very well could be lowered anaerobic endurance. You don't run out of gas as quickly, but your muscles break down more under pressure.

Polynikes said:
i'm in the arnold's on march 3rd, so we'll see how the competition feels....

Polynikes do you by chance train at the Relson school in Columbus?

Sohei said:
Polynikes do you by chance train at the Relson school in Columbus?

no, i'm at the relson school in savannah, ga

you going to the arnold's?

eeg, thanks for that...

14% is a big number dude.

i'd be comfortable just doing that in itself for conditioning, but if my brother wants to buy that tent i'm damn sure going to use it...

like i said, if i had the money to piss away i'd get one, but i wouldn't save up for one...

i used to do something similar to tabata while wearing my military gas mask. that was cool, and it worked...

Back