My return to muay thai yesterday

Lucas Coradini

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Hey, dudes! So I returned to the ring after a 1 year + layoff. Things didn't go my way. Couldn't find my rhythm and couldn't deal with my opponent kicks, specially his teep. Overall I've spent the entire fight second guessing my actions while he was flowing.

My boxing were never there, too. After the first combo I landed I just didn't felt it would be worthy to invest much energy in them with those giant ass gloves. Dumb, I know. However, feel free to criticize, advise or just watch it. See ya

Everytime I click on the video it doesn't show the video but I still hear the audio, I don't know why.

Theirs something wrong with this thread too, I can't watch the thread or the video. You got to make a new one.

you look to be the much more skilled fighter. like you said you really needed to let them hands go more, it would have set everything else up for you. also as he was moving in you were going to a long guard from in to close. that was when you should have been letting the hands go and coming back with kicks or a solid high guard. apart from that i really like style everything looks solid just have more faith in those punches they are one of your best attributes.

you look to be the much more skilled fighter. like you said you really needed to let them hands go more, it would have set everything else up for you. also as he was moving in you were going to a long guard from in to close. that was when you should have been letting the hands go and coming back with kicks or a solid high guard. apart from that i really like style everything looks solid just have more faith in those punches they are one of your best attributes.
How did you watch the video I can't even see it. I can only hear the audio.

Thanks @eternaldarkness
Yes, I agree. I was very gun shy. But it re-lit that fire in me. Let's see if I can have another fight or two before the end of the year.

@ironkhan57 I really don't know why you can't watch it. For some weird reason the thread got duplicated too...

Thanks @eternaldarkness
Yes, I agree. I was very gun shy. But it re-lit that fire in me. Let's see if I can have another fight or two before the end of the year.

@ironkhan57 I really don't know why you can't watch it. For some weird reason the thread got duplicated too...
you didn't even look that gun shy. you weren't really looking to avoid the action you just weren't letting enough go as he closed in on you. it kinda look like you were bypassing the punch game to engage in the clinch, although your punches look like some of your best weapons. i'm not really that knowledgeable with mauy thai so maybe someone like @shincheckin or @ARIZE can give you some better technical advice about getting past that teep to unload those punches.

1a) Be first.
1b) Be aggressive.
2) Throw combinations.
3) Adapt, you see him kicking from the outside constantly, and he is getting away with it. This is the perfect moment to take over and put pressure.
4) You have the better balance, use it. He is not comfortable doing more than single blows. Exploit this weakness by pressuring him when he attacks. You can do that because you have the better balance and the center of the ring.

At -9.42, you come out of the clinch. And boom you give the front kick and go on the offense. This is what i mean with be aggressive be first. However keep your distance between you and the opponent to be able to throw those combinations. A good drill to train this would be: Front kick, right hand, left hook, right lowkick

It may be that your cardio needs some improvement to keep this up constantly.

props for stepping in the ring.

Last edited:
you didn't even look that gun shy. you weren't really looking to avoid the action you just weren't letting enough go as he closed in on you. it kinda look like you were bypassing the punch game to engage in the clinch, although your punches look like some of your best weapons. i'm not really that knowledgeable with mauy thai so maybe someone like @shincheckin or @ARIZE can give you some better technical advice about getting past that teep to unload those punches.

it was a good fight, work on catching the teeps. Then you can catch them and move into a attack etc from there. This will "take" his teep away.

It's clear that you didn't get into it. From other fights you have shared, it was clearly not your day. From outside, it seems like a lack of energy, as if it was a sparring session. Not tired, just no energy, no full commitment.
But don't let that get to you. Bad days happens to all of us... I need a few days of mental preparation just to be sure I will fight with aggression, and even then it's not a guarantee. Or I may be good in my head, but the body doesn't follow... Or simply my opponent is better (but it doesn't seem that was really the case here.)

At your level you surely know those, but anyway, for the teeps:

-When they use a lot the front foot teep, make that foot occupied with defense. Attack it with lows.

-Against defensive teepers, you may want to let them come to you. Otherwise you got to use lots of lateral movements. Move sideways, attack in angles and not just straight forward etc...

-If you are comfortable with it, make your stance a bit more sideways. You give less of a target, and can move forward faster.

-Basic rule is: Hip teeps, you catch them. Solar teeps, you parry/divert them. Head teeps, you block them.

-For hip teeps, you can also check them, and you can try to catch them between the knee and elbow. (some may call it a dick move, but very useful against side kick spammers in TKD)

-It may worth to really try to catch the first ones, and make him pay for it. I like the heavy sweeps from the outside for example. Like shincheckin said, usually they will be shy to use them afterward.

In general for your fight:
Like you said, too passive. You dint respond after his single attacks. You must get those points back, and not loose in the aggression domain.
Gun shy. You had some good attacks, but too little too late in the rounds.
Clinch: he had lots of times the one knee up to defend, so he was standing on one foot. You want to drop him then.

Anyway, from what i can tell, it was just a bad day, so no point on getting in too much details.

Just forget it, fuck it. Don't let it get to you.

Last edited:
I need a few days of mental preparation just to be sure I will fight with aggression, and even then it's not a guarantee.

That's interesting. What kind of mental preparation do you? What do you do to get to where you want to be mentally a few days before?

@Tayski

I need to be in a "bad" mood before a fight. And I need to be like that for a couple of days. I cannot switch it on 5 min before the fight.

I got a few songs on repeat to help me get in that mood, that I listen non stop.
I try to think about bad stuff that happened to me. Just general bad thoughts. One good fuel is to remember my feelings after a loss.
I isolate my self, don't talk to my friends or girl.
I usually spend my 2 last days doing light shadow boxing, thinking and visualizing power strikes, and how my opponent will be hurt by them. I need to "see" him get hurt from my strikes. Almost to the point that I feel it.

I know that a lot of people say that you need to be calm, have a clear mind etc... But it doesn't work for me. I need negative emotions before and during the fight. It helps me with aggression, with been "in the zone". Specially for the beginning of the fight.

But I don't cheat or fight dirty. And I don't do mad stares before the fight. I usually just look down until the bell rings.

Last edited:
@Tayski

I need to be in a "bad" mood before a fight. And I need to be like that for a couple of days. I cannot switch it on 5 min before the fight.

I got a few songs on repeat to help me get in that mood, that I listen non stop.
I try to think about bad stuff that happened to me. Just general bad thoughts. One good fuel is to remember my feelings after a loss.
I isolate my self, don't talk to my friends or girl.
I usually spend my 2 last days doing light shadow boxing, thinking and visualizing power strikes, and how my opponent will be hurt by them. I need to "see" him get hurt from my strikes. Almost to the point that I feel it.

I know that a lot of people say that you need to be calm, have a clear mind etc... But it doesn't work for me. I need negative emotions before and during the fight. It helps me with aggression, with been "in the zone". Specially for the beginning of the fight.

But I don't cheat or fight dirty. And I don't do mad stares before the fight. I usually just look down until the bell rings.

A few songs on repeat to get in a bad mood? I guess "gangnam style" on repeat for a couple of days would turn me mad enough too.

A few songs on repeat to get in a bad mood? I guess "gangnam style" on repeat for a couple of days would turn me mad enough too.

The goal is to get mad for a couple of days... not to be on suicide watch for the rest of your life.

Back