My Respect for Jake Shields has Rocketed

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Goonerview, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Goonerview

Goonerview Gold Belt

I was very impressed by his performance last night. I haven't always liked Shields, I have never liked the way he used to punch with his fingers spread out (hate eye poke stoppages) and never really liked his character but by beating Maia in his own backyard, he earned my respect

Last night was awesome, in the beginning he came out to the octagon into a really hostile atmosphere, it was like walking into the valley of death or something. I like that he came out to "seven nation army - the white stripes" which is a great "underdog" kind of song ... and the Brazilian crowd were booing the s**t out of him ... his whole demeanor and posture looked so bad and unconfident and like he knew he was gonna lose....

[​IMG]

I started thinking "Come on Jakey boy!!, don't give up before it's started, mate!!" and I really started rooting for him. I personally didn't give Shields much of a chance in this fight, Maia had been on the tear at WW and I thought Shields was gonna be the marquee victory for Maia to catapult him into a title shot against GSP.

The fight started and Maia was the aggressor, but Jake's experience and grappling was just so natural and his reflexes and movement was just incredible. His reactions to Maia's advances and movement were just so natural and I actually started clapping at the TV everytime he swept Maia or had him on his back!!

[​IMG]

The crowd went quiet as they saw Jake put on a grappling masterclass over one of the best grapplers in the game. He shut Maia down so bad that Brendan Schaub would have been proud.

I think it was in the second round that Jake got cut and was bleeding quite a bit over his eye, but he didn't wilt, bit down on his mouth piece and grinded Maia out in one of the most gruelling fights there has been for a while.

With all the negative energy from the fans and pressure to remain relevant in the UFC mounting on his shoulders, Jake Shields came through and handled it like a stud!! A true warrior!! Respect!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

Still can't stand him, but I respect his skills a lot more. Funny thing is K-1 Maia would have won that fight and BJJ Maia got Schaubed.

3. Ginunga**

Ginunga** White Belt

Rocketed, but not quite skyrocketed?

4. Conduit

Conduit Blue Belt

Yeah Shields is a boss. He wins, that's all that's important really since this is a sport (supposedly).

5. Big Tuppy Hole

Big Tuppy Hole Gold Belt

The fight was horrible, Jake did the bare minimum to win (hold top position) and stalled constantly. My mother was literally laughing at his stand up and GnP and asked why he didn't have any pop on his punchs. I feel embarrassed as a MMA fan when Jake is fighting

6. Goonerview

Goonerview Gold Belt

I thought it was a good fight, the crowd only really booed because Jake Shields wasn't "Brazilian" enough for them.

7. wwedanawhite

wwedanawhite Black Belt

i don't find him all that thrilling to watch. Though i do like him as a person

8. AugustoPinochet**

AugustoPinochet** Banned Banned

this

9. marcusnz80

marcusnz80 Purple Belt

My respect for jake also skyrocketed - he's now back up to zero

10. Oogie Sharp

Oogie Sharp Red Belt

The guy's no joke.

11. DetachedOrchid

DetachedOrchid MAYANS M.C.

jake is a machine bro. aside from a fluke KO you are probably not gonna stop him from implementing his GP.

12. hadji

hadji Green Belt

All dem brazilians mad cuz Maia got owned, lolol

13. Sankari

Sankari Orange Belt

Wow, he's verbed. What a phenom!

14. Kaffe

Kaffe Brown Belt

The man deserves respect tor going into the cauldron and snatching the win. That being said, he is boring as fuck and PPV poison.

15. Jackie Blue

Jackie Blue Silver Belt

I have no idea how Shields keep winning these fights, but he does, so you've got to respect that. I hope he doesn't get cut the first time they have an excuse to do so.

16. Juzie

Juzie Brown Belt

Not nearly this mad though.

[​IMG]

If I knew anyone on Sherdog in real life I would steal their credit card and then give them back $10 as a gift and they would be thankful for it.

17. IndyCovaHart

IndyCovaHart Gold Belt

HAHAHAHAHAH. Homey broke even.

Dana should cut him for being a boring title fight derailer.

18. Socialhandgrenade

Socialhandgrenade Silver Belt

I respect him for his skills and he seems like a good guy - he has the wrestling and Jiu Jitsu to shut down (nearly) everyone's game but he's not the type of fighter I'd show my friends to try and get them into MMA

19. Socialhandgrenade

Socialhandgrenade Silver Belt

lol nice

20. ostlerrage

ostlerrage Black Belt

Wrong. When you have two elite fighters equally matches this can happen. It happens with strikers too. I agree - his strikes are a joke but his grappling is unmatched. I feel embarrassed that there are still uneducated fighters like you complaining.