My recent sparring session

kingkshon73

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
just a little light work before class. I was just coming off a three week hiatus so i look a bit rusty.

Me: red shorts. 5'10 1/2" 186

Partner: Blue shorts 5'7 180

Looking for constructive criticism.

Pt. 1
[YT]5UuQp1h-YtA&list=UUW8QZ5m43uS9cA1GezEi8uA[/YT]

Pt. 2
[YT]I88gTXeUATM&index=1&list=UUW8QZ5m43uS9cA1GezEi8uA[/YT]

It's hard to say when you are facing someone who does not want to hit you. Basically just hitting the bag.

I just can see the first video. You should let him work... You are clearly more skilled and taller.

are you @ southside?

your opponent is very over classed, seems new, and you're using thin shin guards on him to boot.

hard to say beyond "well you're more experienced".

If I were to judge your technique and form I'd say you look decent, but sparring is as much about character and etiquette. On that note, it wasn't really nice to watch you dominate some guy who is clearly much less experienced. It would have been nice to see you gauge the situation, and then consequently slow it down and lower the power, and take a few combinations etc to let him get some offense out of the session and for you to test defense. Build his confidence in himself and you so that he feels enabled to put up a fight and use proper technique (notice how he was throwing out very quick awful low kicks because he was scared to commit?). That would be the way to show off your sparring skills and class. Also I don't think kicks wearing cottons shins, especially head kicks and spinning shit, is very nice to your partner

If I were to judge your technique and form I'd say you look decent, but sparring is as much about character and etiquette. On that note, it wasn't really nice to watch you dominate some guy who is clearly much less experienced. It would have been nice to see you gauge the situation, and then consequently slow it down and lower the power, and take a few combinations etc to let him get some offense out of the session and for you to test defense. Build his confidence in himself and you so that he feels enabled to put up a fight and use proper technique (notice how he was throwing out very quick awful low kicks because he was scared to commit?). That would be the way to show off your sparring skills and class. Also I don't think kicks wearing cottons shins, especially head kicks and spinning shit, is very nice to your partner

This. If you wanted constructive criticism post a video of you sparring someone of your skill level where you are actually going and we can see how you react under pressure, getting hit, etc. Not just a "rusty" video of you after a 3 week break with a beginner. When sparring with beginners let them learn how to string combinations together, then when they're comfortable you can start to counter back and pick it up.

This. If you wanted constructive criticism post a video of you sparring someone of your skill level where you are actually going and we can see how you react under pressure, getting hit, etc. Not just a "rusty" video of you after a 3 week break with a beginner. When sparring with beginners let them learn how to string combinations together, then when they're comfortable you can start to counter back and pick it up.

To both of you all i will say is this. I was doing daily co-op at south side last year from september to january and when i got there he was there and said he had already been there for a few months. I would never spar a beginner like that. I was also pretty passive if you did not notice how much space i gave him every time he hit the corner and also the amount of time i hesitated for a split second for him to have a moment to attack. i also went about 20-25% power and pulled on ever spinning kick and head kick i threw but i understand how it could look like i was going hard.

Also i was wondering why you put quotes around the rusty? it does not sound like allot but i have been eating and drinking like shit since my 17th birthday just passed and so did Christmas.

are you @ southside?

your opponent is very over classed, seems new, and you're using thin shin guards on him to boot.

hard to say beyond "well you're more experienced".

Yes i am at Southside. and i only went about 20-25% power. any thicker shin gaurds and i would have been throwing pillows at him.

I'm going back next week. I will get a better sparring partner. He was the only guy that was sparring that day and somebody brought there HD camera so i asked them to record.

Looked good. You beat him up pretty bad, which I enjoyed. However you are wasting your length by not teeping. Stick the ball of your foot right in his fat gut. Teep his lower thigh. Teep his face. Push his ass all over the ring. Next recording session, I want to see a hell of alot more teeps from you.

That and clinchwork. Again you are wasting your length by not tying his ass up and killing him with knees. You have the long limbs, use them. You are not taking advantage of your gifts. Why fight him on equal terms?

Looked good. You beat him up pretty bad, which I enjoyed. However you are wasting your length by not teeping. Stick the ball of your foot right in his fat gut. Teep his lower thigh. Teep his face. Push his ass all over the ring. Next recording session, I want to see a hell of alot more teeps from you.

That and clinchwork. Again you are wasting your length by not tying his ass up and killing him with knees. You have the long limbs, use them. You are not taking advantage of your gifts. Why fight him on equal terms?

Because i started to notice how far ahead i was and since i fight at around 168-160 i know i wont have that much of a reach advantage in the future. I know he is around the same weight but most people in my weight are not that short. Teeps to the thigh in training are excessive and teeps to the face are considered disrespectful. Also as for clinching I find that i have trouble clinching short powerful guys.

Relax. Don't be jittery/jumpy and tense. It's just sparring. Don't drop your hands when you kick. Turn your hip over when you kick.

Work with your partner, let him get off and get some back and forth going. Sparring isn't about winning or losing, it's about helping each other get better.

Relax. Don't be jittery/jumpy and tense. It's just sparring. Don't drop your hands when you kick. Turn your hip over when you kick.

Work with your partner, let him get off and get some back and forth going. Sparring isn't about winning or losing, it's about helping each other get better.

if i turned over my kicks i would have hurt him. But i do need to work on that when im doing pad work. I was going at a pretty slow pace to give him a chance tot him me but it just was not meant to be i guess?

In my opinion, if you have good control and technique you can still turn it over without kicking too hard.

In my opinion, if you have good control and technique you can still turn it over without kicking too hard.

This, you can pretty much just set your leg there unless balance/flexibility is an issue as mentioned before you don't seem very relaxed. You should be working on defense and angles and more advanced stuff when your that much better than someone.
Also I will note you don't use your reach as well as you could. You could more throw more jabs and kicks without rushing into punching range as much, as well as work on kicking after he backs you up. So kick out of his range and than step away, and perhaps encourage him to double up on his jab, go to the body, and throw counter shots and move his head instead of turtling up when your on the offensive.
Telling your sparring partner what he did wrong and how you were so successful in an offensive situation well help you be aware of counters and help him improve. Also the head kicks and spinning head kicks with those shin guards man and no head gear...just work on thai spamming your middle kicks before he accidentally leans into one of those.

and re watching it you provide no counters to his kicks, just block or move away, work on catching them or throwing a counter off them instead of just block/move and restarting (take advantage of that moment). I assume you will see what Im talking about because you move and counter when he throws punches but when he kicks you seem content to let him throw. You seem to be good and you should expand your repertoire, good luck with everything!

That was pretty much like hitting a bag. The guy was totally lost. Not your fault anyways TS.

I could give you 2 advices watching that sparring session:

1. You throw a lot of single punches but almost no combinations. This kind of sparring partners (the ones who does not make you feel any power or offense) are good for trying combos. I mean for example start 1-2 punches and end with a kick. Something between 3 and 5 punches-kicks.

2. When you have a guy that throws little to nothing it is an ideal situation to wait for him and then practice your counters. Also good for working your reflexes. On top of that you help your partner to let go his attacks.

I like the way that you did not put a beating on a really inferior fighter. Not an advice but somehow some guys feel good with them selfes by punishing unexperienced fighters.

It's difficult to critique because you are just in there having fun and not taking it too seriously which is fine but as someone said you need to put yourself up against someone good so people can give you decent feed back.

I am with you on the control, you did hold back the power and wasn't trying to hurt him so you are a decent sparring partner just a bit of a miss match of a sparring partner for you.

The negatives I would say just from those clips (which probably wouldn't be the case against someone decent) but your guard and foot work looks sloppy, like I said you were just having fun and he didn't give you anything to worry about so it didn't matter much!! And the kicks looked pretty bad IMO, you have good flexibility but bad technique, turning your hip won't hurt your partner if you have good control, it's easier to pull the power on a kick if you open up you hips and have the leg strength to go with the flexibility.

Having said that - the spinning kick was great!!

Good work tho, will look forward to seeing your proper form when up against someone your level

Turn your hip over when you kick.

This was a major thing that stuck out on the first video. Anytime you go for a kick that's got much height to it, it just floats up. There's no rotation. No good when you fight. And now I'm not saying treat your sparring like a fight, but when you spar someone like that guy it's a perfect opportunity to practice smoothing out your basics. Get some rotation, let your shin rest against his guard and shoulders. Place your shots. It's not thinking "Okay, I'm going to kick him here" it's more thinking "I'm going to place my shin here".

You also bring yourself down to his level, in terms of height. Not a good idea. If you're tall, stay tall.

Stop throwing lazy spinning things against guys like that. You aren't practicing good technique, so it's not benefiting you, and it's just adding to what intimidates him, which means it's not beneficial for him either.

There's other stuff too, but I'd rather see some sparring against an opponent of similar caliber before commenting further.

Back