My recent rare video find and random info

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by KimbosHernia**, Sep 14, 2010.

1. KimbosHernia**

KimbosHernia** White Belt

First, I knew I had this one on my vhs collection but was having trouble finding it. It was nowhere to be found on the web, but I see someone recently uploaded it. This was Gastineau's big network tv debut. It was heavily hyped. I had seen his earlier "fight" on pay per view, and it was a ridiculous, thrown fight if ever there was one. Even though Mark and Tim "Doc" Anderson had the same promoter, they fought here. Tim exposed Mark for what he was, soundly trounced him, and in one of the worst stories in boxing later murdered their shared promoter Rick "Elvis" Parker, who allegedly poisoned Tim in a later rematch with Mark.

Look at Mark here turning his back on punches, totally outmatched, and the hilarious commentary from the legends, Sean O'Grady and Al Albert:

Tim "Doc" Anderson is incarcerated in a prison about 30 miles from my house. I am planning to write him soon, and maybe visit him. I sympathize with him and what happened to him. If anyone has any questions that may be good to ask Tim, pls. let me know.

I have just found a lost section of my old vhs collection, and will soon upload the unique "People's Choice One-Night Heavyweight Tournament" from 1993. This is not yet posted anywhere on web. It featured Tony Tubbs among others, and was a tournament style format with only 3 rounds a fight.

The People's Choice One Night Heavyweight Tournament was a heavyweight elimination tournament held in Bay St. Louis on December 3, 1993. The contest attempted to bring together many of the top boxers in the division together for an elimination tournament of three-round bouts, but instead it attracted former contenders and journeyman fighters. Former heavyweight champion Tony "TNT" Tubbs won the $1 million prize.

The format laid the groundwork for future elimination tournaments such as the Thunderbox Heavyweight Tournament and the forthcoming Superfighter tournament.

The Results were (All bouts 3 rounds)

* First Round:

1. James 'Bonecrusher' Smith W Pts Lester Jackson
    2. Marshall Tillman W Pts Jason Williams
    3. Tony Tubbs W Pts Willie Jackson
    4. Tyrell Biggs W Pts Evgueni Sudakov
    5. Shane Sutcliffe W DQ3 Paul Phillips
    6. Tyrell Biggs W TKO2 Shane Sutcliffe

* Quarter-Final:

1. Daniel Dancuta W TKO3 Derrick Roddy
    2. James 'Bonecrusher' Smith W Pts Marshall Tillman
    3. Jose Ribalta W Pts Derek Williams
    4. Tony Tubbs W Pts Tyrell Biggs

* Semi-Final:

1. Tony Tubbs W Pts Jose Ribalta
    2. Daniel Dancuta W Pts James 'Bonecrusher' Smith

* Final:
    o Tony Tubbs W Pts Daniel Dancuta

Tubbs wins $1,000,000

2. amhlilhaus

amhlilhaus Black Belt

you are a gentleman and a scholar, thanks so much for putting that stuff up.

3. Tobacco

Tobacco --------------------------------------------------

wow. the post fight interview was hilarious. i take it the promoter who poisoned anderson was that dude beside gastineau. what a pathetic and bizarre story

4. KimbosHernia**

KimbosHernia** White Belt

Yes, that was Rick "Elvis" Parker, he was a main part of one of the worst stories in all of boxing.

Google his name, or Tim "Doc" Anderson to check out the tragedy of it all.

By the way, I agree with you about the post fight interview, it was so classic I can't even start to describe it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010