my punching form

BranndonC

White Belt
Reaction score
i've NEVER taking a class of any kind, and i know it shows, but i want to know how to throw a proper punch, i know it starts in the hips, so i try and twist the hips before i throw, can you guys offer me any tips on throwing a quicker/stronger/more accurate punch?
http://media.putfile.com/punching-form-sucks

well...my best tip would be to bring the punch back to your chin in a straight line...out then back

join a gym. you need to be shown in person. not being an ass, but no amount of text-based help is gonna correct everthing for ya.

For having no actual training your not doing too bad, you've got some pop already in your punches, considering how many guys I've seen at the gym flailing away with their home schooling.....

That said, its obvious that you have no actual training and thus your title 'punching form sucks' still is very applicable.

Here's some starting issues to work on:

a)punches should go out and they should snap back. You are throwing the punch and its ending up down near your waist, and then you slowly pull it back. You'll get creamed like that. Straights go straight out, and straight back, hooks swivel and then pull right back...you should always end up right back in guard position.

b)you are turning your head and following your fist rather than keeping your eye on your target (and since your fist is ending up down near your waist, you end up looking down after the punch). With very few exceptions, always keep your eye on your opponent, you don't want to be caught admiring your punches.

c) you are off balance after you throw each punch...I could not see your back foot, but your front foot wobbled at the end of each punch. Footwork is different for different punches, so I'm not going to get into those details, but for starters, bend your knees so you are not off balance, and working on the previous point about throwing the punch and then bringing it right back will help address the balance issues.

d)you are also bending your wrists excessively in the guard position...if you have them like that and start hitting a heavy bag, you'll have problems.

There's more, but I think those are the first items that jumped out at me.

If its possible, my best advice would be to find someone who can help you with your footwork for starters. Thats the foundation for everything else, so thats the first thing to address.

After you get some footwork training, add in shadow boxing as well. You should learn the basic three punches (straight, hook, uppercut) and then go through them all, slowly and just in the air, over and over, each day besides working them in the gym.

Unfortunately, I think there are too many little details to try and train yourself or be trained over the web if you are thinking about actually competing.

Hope some of the above helps though.

Vovchanchyn Fan said:
For having no actual training your not doing too bad, you've got some pop already in your punches, considering how many guys I've seen at the gym flailing away with their home schooling.....

That said, its obvious that you have no actual training and thus your title 'punching form sucks' still is very applicable.

a)punches should go out and they should snap back. You are throwing the punch and its ending up down near your waist, and then you slowly pull it back. You'll get creamed like that. Straights go straight out, and straight back, hooks swivel and then pull right back...you should always end up right back in guard position.

b)you are turning your head and following your fist rather than keeping your eye on your target (and since your fist is ending up down near your waist, you end up looking down after the punch). With very few exceptions, always keep your eye on your opponent, you don't want to be caught admiring your punches.

c) you are off balance after you throw each punch...I could not see your back foot, but your front foot wobbled at the end of each punch. Footwork is different for different punches, so I'm not going to get into those details, but for starters, bend your knees so you are not off balance, and working on the previous point about throwing the punch and then bringing it right back will help address the balance issues.

d)you are also bending your wrists excessively in the guard position...if you have them like that and start hitting a heavy bag, you'll have problems.

If its possible, my best advice would be to find someone who can help you with your footwork for starters. Thats the foundation for everything else, so thats the first thing to address.

After you get some footwork training, add in shadow boxing as well. You should learn the basic three punches (straight, hook, uppercut) and then go through them all, slowly and just in the air, over and over, each day besides working them in the gym.

Unfortunately, I think there are too many little details to try and train yourself or be trained over the web if you are thinking about actually competing.

agreed. great advice vovchanchyn fan

I think punching is a synergy of different body parts transfering force
at a maximum efficiency rate. Muscle can actually hinder your maximum
capability, but if you dont have the skill, then muscle is good to have.

hips are major, also shoulders. I think they are both extremely closely related.
other parts like wrist, elbow, knee, foot, spine is all important too.

its hard to have flexible, strong, and mobile shoulders though...

If you cant go to a gym, try getting a hold of some instructional videos. Not as good as going to a gym but I think it would help.

^ Go to a gym! Seriously man, even if your form was great in this vid you should always get hands on, live instruction from a qualified coach whnever possible. Most Boxing club memberships are cheaper than a flat of beer or the monthly dues in a fitness club.It's well worth it and you will develop way faster.

Vovchanchyn Fan said:

awesome! thanks guys, this really helps. and thanks for going through all the effort to type this all out.

What everyone else said, I would definately go to a gym to get the basics down. but I just wanted to say good for you for knowing you need to work on it and seeking help on it.

throw those shoulders, dont tense ur muscles stay loose, hit with ur first two knuckles, always bring ur hands back to protect ur jaw.

considering your experience, it is not too bad, flick that jab out and bring it back high to protect yourself. WIth your right hand turn your hips and body and follow with your hand. Go to a good kickboxing or boxing school to learn the right way, but my advice will work if u follow it.

Good idea with the video, and good advice everyone.
I really love being part of this board when I can see people are actually trying to help each other.

Soulfly said:
I really love being part of this board when I can see people are actually trying to help each other.

isn't sherdog just great :D

I believe you can develop good technique and power by yourself if you are a good student and pay attention to details. You don't need a gym for that. You DO need one eventually if you want to be a real boxer, etc. because nothing can replace padwork and sparring.

Some quick tips on developing your skills:

- no offense meant, but you're currently throwing a stiff haymaker, not a real boxing punch.

- DON'T learn how to strike by watching MMA. There are various reasons for the sloppy striking in MMA, but one thing's for sure...don't start learning striking from there. Whatever chance you get, watch some boxing, K-1, try to get as many training clips off the Internet as you can, and study them in detail. Look at everything...if it's a punch, pay attention to how the feet pivot, how the hips move. If it's a kick, pay attention to the arm and shoulder movement

check out boxing4free.com, ross enamait's website, etc.

- run some searches for "how to throw a jab/right straight/left hook/right uppercut", etc. Learn them in that order. Don't hit anything at first until you've got the form down. Shadowbox in all your spare time. Start throwing them in single punches first, then chain them - 1, 1-2, 1-2-3, etc.

What I can tell you to begin with:

- hands loose. Only clench them right before the punch lands.
- stand on the balls of your feet, slight bend in knees
- straight punches are thrown straight out and in. The power comes from your hips, not your arms. Explode out, then just as quickly back in.
- always maintain your balance, keep centered
- shoulders up, chin down - protect your chin with your shoulder when you throw the punch out.

it would be best for you to join a gym, but you could start off with some instructional videos (some of which you can download off the net, i myself use limewire) and supplement them with text-based instructions from websites or better yet here in the standup forum. we're all students here, mate! :)

Soulfly said:

awww... you want a hug? lol i'm just kidding, mate. welcome aboard!

Back