My power went out this morning

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The power going out on my line is fairly common as it happens at least every couple of months. I have a backup generator that kicks in and I usually never find out why it went out. Today I did find out why.

LIGHT+TOWER+FIRE.jpg

There is a music festival going on a few miles from me. There are several intersections where the police direct traffic at midnight and they put up portable light towers at those intersections. A man was raising the light tower and hit the power line causing the explosion, starting the fire and knocking him out. No word yet on his condition. The power line runs along the North side of the road. The traffic would be coming from the South going North so the logical place for the light would be on the South side of the intersection where it could be extended to it's maximum height. I don't know why he was moving it at 9:45 this morning. I could understand it happening when it's dark out but he should have been able to see the power lines.

you lose power every couple of months? what part of the country are you in? We had a snow storm in October that knocked all the lines down a few years ago but really havent lost power since.

Also how did the truck catch on fire, lucky no one was in that

That guy shouldn't have done that IMO.

sucks for that guy, that type of accident can be fatal.

you lose power every couple of months? what part of the country are you in? We had a snow storm in October that knocked all the lines down a few years ago but really havent lost power since.

Also how did the truck catch on fire, lucky no one was in that

I'm over 5 miles from town. There is one above ground line coming out my way so any tree that falls on it anywhere cuts my power. A straight line wind storm hit in 1980 and my power was out for 2 weeks. They had to repair all of the damage in town first. Another power company supplies the next road West of me and they have all underground lines. The main power line that feeds the system from the nuclear plant in Minnesota runs through just a mile North of me but it goes into the city to a substation almost 10 miles away then comes back out to where I live.

I imagine the diesel fuel tank in the generator for the light tower exploded starting the truck on fire. I'm certain the man who was erecting the tower got there in that truck and was likely operating the controls on the light tower. He could be severely burned.

I'm over 5 miles from town. There is one above ground line coming out my way so any tree that falls on it anywhere cuts my power. A straight line wind storm hit in 1980 and my power was out for 2 weeks. They had to repair all of the damage in town first. Another power company supplies the next road West of me and they have all underground lines. The main power line that feeds the system from the nuclear plant in Minnesota runs through just a mile North of me but it goes into the city to a substation almost 10 miles away then comes back out to where I live.

I imagine the diesel fuel tank in the generator for the light tower exploded starting the truck on fire. I'm certain the man who was erecting the tower got there in that truck and was likely operating the controls on the light tower. He could be severely burned.
man sucks u cant get with the company that serves the road west of you. Yeah power hardly ever goes out here.. only had it out twice that i remember, once with that october storm and it was out for like 6 days... and then once for a day or two because hurricane winds came up the coast... Im actually surprised we dont lose it more during blizzards we get some bad ones sometimes

The power company used to spray under the lines to kill everything so trees didn't grow up and fall on the lines but environmentalists put an end to that. With global warming, the trees are growing up so fast that they can't keep up trimming them.

man sucks u cant get with the company that serves the road west of you. Yeah power hardly ever goes out here.. only had it out twice that i remember, once with that october storm and it was out for like 6 days... and then once for a day or two because hurricane winds came up the coast... Im actually surprised we dont lose it more during blizzards we get some bad ones sometimes

I tried but these areas were disputed. The original area power company didn't want to go farther out so an electrical cooperative was formed to cover areas that the oldest one didn't. Then it became a race to see who could claim the most territory. Usually when it goes out the power company claims that squirrels shorted out the lines. The power company I have is called NSP. They claim it stands for Northern States Power. I say it means No Service Provided.

Go hang out at Costco and eat the free samples and watch a movie

There will be hell to pay if you wind up having to read a book.

Sounds like something that would only happen in some small hick county.

Back