My opinion on Jon Jones

I guess a lot of people in this thread must not be able to read very well. It's extremely difficult to take anything you say seriously after you attempted to discredit wins over Bader, Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Vitor, Chael, Gus and Glover.

I was opening discussion. I guess you can't read because you didn't read my last paragraph. Zing.

And by TS standard, Cormier beaten coffee serving Cummins who was rank #2000 is better than Jones beaten everyone in the top 10.
Chael was a MW but he was #2 behind Silva.
Vitor who was once a HW tournament champion.
Vitor also was a LHW former champion.

TS can't even name a fight Jones should have fought in those fighters place.

LHW is not how they used to be? WTF?
Tito and Chuck Liddell defend their belt against worst opponents.
Even Randy Couture, couldn't even defend his LHW belt a single time.

There you go again, kid. I even pointed out IN MY POST IF YOU READ IT that Tito and Chuck did not have great opponents. My goodness, your foolishness is bleeding through your keyboard.

You just proved you are a child, posting a meaningless gif to get attention. I won't entertain discussion with a child. Piss off, kid.
Yes keyboard warrior :icon_cheeand that's not a gif, a picture.

Smarty keyboard warrior end up being a fool that couldn't even answer a single question, couldn't tell a gif from a picture.:icon_lol:

Hope you don't try to be smart when you're not.

I was opening discussion. I guess you can't read because you didn't read my last paragraph. Zing.

You were opening up a can of trolling, not discussion, you numb skull. Everybody can see through you and now you are getting defensive and butthurt. To discredit an entire fighter's resume is the most idiotic thing a fight fan can do, and it can be done to every fighter that has ever existed on this planet. Name me a fighter and I can easily nitpick and discredit every notable win he had the way you did to Jones. That's the lowest of the low.

Wow Sherdog, you just proved that none of you can open discussion. Just trying to open debate and I get 1-liners from children. SMH.

Do you think you're the first poster to start a thread "critiquing" Jones' record in a transparent attempt to diminish Jones' accomplishments all while claiming not to be a troll? Because you're not, and your "observations" aren't any more worthy of thoughtful responses than any other Jones bashing thread.

These guys are almost all legends if they were so good a couple years before Jones beat em are they not still great or have they declined to the point that they are bumbling retards?

How come years later these new up and comers are still losing to all these cans? or is it maybe that they are still great even though parts of their game may have diminished? Come on none of these champs would have beaten Jones even at their peak there has never been a more complete fighter in LHW history past or present.

Only thing I agree with is that Cormier is a legit contender and will be a tough fight for Jones but his previous opponents were tough as well.

Retarded OP as always.

This whole "Gloryfied middleweight" argument is garbage and overused as hell. Lyoto weighed 205 the day they fought. That's all that matters. The fact that he moved down to MW soon after is irrelevant. They signed for a 205 fight, so that's what it was.

Also, Rashad = no credible wins??? lol

Forest = Fluke champion??? LOL

Gustaffsons win over Shogun = unimpressive??? LOL

Was the LHW division aging by the time Jones came into dominance? Yes. But should that be used as an arguing point to say that he isn't as good as we think he is? No.

If this isn't a troll thread, then you are demonstrably delusional.

Jones biggest advantage is his reach, without it he wouldnt be nearly as dominant. I really think Gus is going to beat Jones in the next fight.

absolutely not, It his is insane strength in the clinch and coordination. If he didn't have those he would just be another grove, roop, garza, struve clone getting his lanky ass tossed around.

Here goes nothing:

He beat Ryan Bader to get his title shot because Rashad was injured. Didn't necessarily earn it.

Beat Shogun for the title. Good dominating win, however, Shogun was coming off knee surgery and hadn't fought in a year. It showed. He showed to be much better in his next fights with Griffin, Henderson, and Vera when he had time to heal and get his rhythm back.

Beat Jackson. Rampage hadn't beat anybody worth a damn since Henderson. He beat Hamill cleanly, and won a controversial split against Machida. Rampage was probably 3 years past his prime and it showed.

Beat Machida. IMO his best victory, however, he was 1-2 in his last 2 fights. His previous fight was against Randy with a front kick. Provided a tough challenge and Jones earned that victory. Machida is still doing well, going 4-1 after the Jones fight, but as we all know he was a glorified middleweight.

Beat Evans. On paper, one of his stronger opponents. But when you dig deeper, Rashad has never beat anybody that was really worth a damn at the time he was matched up. Evans beat a washed up Liddell, a fluke champion in Forrest, and was KOd by Machida.

Beat Vitor. Actually an impressive victory, Vitor was 2-1 coming into his title shot, but that was against subpar opponents at the time. Took the fight because nobody else would. Came close to beating him, but in the end, has proven he is a MW at best.

Beat Chael. C'mon people, Chael was never a threat. And the win wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

Best Gustafsson. I like Gustafsson, but he was coming off an unimpressive win against Shogun. He put up a good fight, but in the end Jones took the fight on points. Gustafsson is being built up strong, but I don't think he'll beat Jones. The only thing that this guy had was size and will. Not as impressive of a victory as people would hope.

Beat Glover. Glover is as overhyped as they come. A hard puncher that ends fights, however everybody seems to forget that he usually wins by eating big punches and counter striking. Fabio hurt him good, and so did Bader. I knew this wasn't going to be a challenge for Jones. I still can't understand why the UFC feels that beating Ryan Bader gets you a title shot...

The point I'm trying to make is that I feel that Jones came into the LHW division when it was starting to age very quickly. Besides Gustafsson and Machida, there really wasn't been a worthy challenger, even then Alex showed that he didn't have the skill to overwhelm Jones.

You can make the same argument that Tito and Liddell dominated very weak LHW divisions and were thwarted very quickly.

I'm not saying Jones isn't good, I'm just trying to analyze and open discussion. Don't take it as a troll thread, but let's open up some discussion on the matter of analyzing Jones' wins. That's what this forum is all about, good-hearted discussion. Let's show that Sherdog can still be the place for good ol' fashioned fight talk.

You can discredit any fighters achievements with this type on foolishness.

But if Jones skills are in question after crushing 5 former champions in what was the UFCs shark tank at the time.

Then EVERYONE in the UFC must suck as a fighter.

SMH

Agree completely, JJ wouldn't survive in PRIDE.

mma_e_jones11_576.jpg

shogun+taps.gif

I agree with TS to some extent.

The point I'm trying to make is that I feel that Jones came into the LHW division when it was starting to age very quickly. Besides Gustafsson and Machida, there really wasn't been a worthy challenger, even then Alex showed that he didn't have the skill to overwhelm Jones.

But I disagree about Gus not being a worthy contender. His win over Shogun was just as impressive as Jones's (only without the finish).

LHW is shallow at the moment. Beside the champion, Gus and Cormier now there's no one worth of mention who can be a potential treat to them. Just like at HW there are two guys who are on another level over the others.

Vitor and Chael were a gimmie fights. I don't think that this can be disputed. Chael talked his way to a titleshot, after he lost twice for the MW belt. Vitor also got skyrocketed.
Other than those two wins I don't think there were better opponents for Bones anyways.

Back