My opinion on Jon Jones

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JAVila916, May 24, 2014.

1. JAVila916

JAVila916 White Belt

Here goes nothing:

He beat Ryan Bader to get his title shot because Rashad was injured. Didn't necessarily earn it.

Beat Shogun for the title. Good dominating win, however, Shogun was coming off knee surgery and hadn't fought in a year. It showed. He showed to be much better in his next fights with Griffin, Henderson, and Vera when he had time to heal and get his rhythm back.

Beat Jackson. Rampage hadn't beat anybody worth a damn since Henderson. He beat Hamill cleanly, and won a controversial split against Machida. Rampage was probably 3 years past his prime and it showed.

Beat Machida. IMO his best victory, however, he was 1-2 in his last 2 fights. His previous fight was against Randy with a front kick. Provided a tough challenge and Jones earned that victory. Machida is still doing well, going 4-1 after the Jones fight, but as we all know he was a glorified middleweight.

Beat Evans. On paper, one of his stronger opponents. But when you dig deeper, Rashad has never beat anybody that was really worth a damn at the time he was matched up. Evans beat a washed up Liddell, a fluke champion in Forrest, and was KOd by Machida.

Beat Vitor. Actually an impressive victory, Vitor was 2-1 coming into his title shot, but that was against subpar opponents at the time. Took the fight because nobody else would. Came close to beating him, but in the end, has proven he is a MW at best.

Beat Chael. C'mon people, Chael was never a threat. And the win wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

Best Gustafsson. I like Gustafsson, but he was coming off an unimpressive win against Shogun. He put up a good fight, but in the end Jones took the fight on points. Gustafsson is being built up strong, but I don't think he'll beat Jones. The only thing that this guy had was size and will. Not as impressive of a victory as people would hope.

Beat Glover. Glover is as overhyped as they come. A hard puncher that ends fights, however everybody seems to forget that he usually wins by eating big punches and counter striking. Fabio hurt him good, and so did Bader. I knew this wasn't going to be a challenge for Jones. I still can't understand why the UFC feels that beating Ryan Bader gets you a title shot...

The point I'm trying to make is that I feel that Jones came into the LHW division when it was starting to age very quickly. Besides Gustafsson and Machida, there really wasn't been a worthy challenger, even then Alex showed that he didn't have the skill to overwhelm Jones.

You can make the same argument that Tito and Liddell dominated very weak LHW divisions and were thwarted very quickly.

I'm not saying Jones isn't good, I'm just trying to analyze and open discussion. Don't take it as a troll thread, but let's open up some discussion on the matter of analyzing Jones' wins. That's what this forum is all about, good-hearted discussion. Let's show that Sherdog can still be the place for good ol' fashioned fight talk.

2. Exemplar

Exemplar Fuligin Belt

True that he fought a lot of vets on the backside of his schedule. But to many, simply identifying that he beat Shogun, Machida, Vitor and Rampage with finishes negates your slant that he's not "that good" so to speak.

3. Jonsohmy

Jonsohmy Orange Belt

Some people are way too hard to please. You just basically called most of the top 5 MWs and LHWs over rated.

4. 5H3RD0G

5H3RD0G Silver Belt

I think the Gus boxing and Machida karate are the toughest but they aren't complete. LHW has names but they aren't deep in skill and aging most move up like Vitor and Chael. The most skilled guy might be DC so if he gets a shot one day we will see how skilled the champ is.

5. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

some people will never be happy or impressed - luckily, those peoples' opinions are largely ignored as they should be

i would not even check sherdog and realize that jones's personality and how people hate him will get people to discredit his career to the point where they reveal themselves as emotional idiots - its not anything abnormal - whats abnormal is someone who can appreciate what it takes to do what jones does

6. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

Jones destroyed some very good fighters who were very relevant in title contention. You cant deny how good he is. Im not a fan of Jones as a man but his ability to kick ass is special.

7. mommas homeboy

mommas homeboy cautiously optimistic

Wow...you're incredible TS.

Jones is a killer and everybody knows it. Your attempt at discrediting his wins may work with his jealous haters, but intelligent mma fans know how good he is, whether you like it or not.

8. FallonFoxGOAT

FallonFoxGOAT Banned Banned

Obligatory: "you can pick apart any fighters wins" comment.

Stop trying to downplay Jones' success.

9. Gaffeln

Gaffeln Blue Belt

Gustafsson not having the skill to beat him?

I had him the winner but I can see Jones 2,4,5. But if Jones hadn't landed that hail mary elbow in the end of the fourth Gus would clearly have won 3 rounds coming in to the fifth round.

Can't wait for the rematch!

10. J180

J180 Brown Belt

A Bader who was undefeated and ranked higher than him at the time.

Weak thread, when will some of you learn you can break down almost any fighters record and make it look weak. Most boxing fans learned this long ago.

11. bene3

bene3 Blue Belt

your glass is half empty or your hating sir

12. Vintersemestre

Vintersemestre White Belt

"Here's a list of fighters that suck"

13. Quarthon

Quarthon Blue Belt

Jones biggest advantage is his reach, without it he wouldnt be nearly as dominant. I really think Gus is going to beat Jones in the next fight.

14. egk

egk Silver Belt

I'll translate The TS's wall of text for anyone who doesn't want to read it.

"If I don't like a fighter, everyone he ever fought was overrated or a can".

15. SnowBlynd

SnowBlynd Red Belt

Ts caused quite a bit of butthurt.

16. JAVila916

JAVila916 White Belt

Wow Sherdog, you just proved that none of you can open discussion. Just trying to open debate and I get 1-liners from children. SMH.

17. MyFist

MyFist Blue Belt

Okay here goes ts, if Jones didn't fight them? who should he has fought in those place?
    Name a fighter he should have fight in beside Bader? Bader was undefeated and Jones took him out easily.
    Jones then took Shogun out like a punching bag.

But then again, ts you are so smart, give us name that Jones should have fight in those order.

If Jones didn't fight Bader, who should he has fought?
    If Jones didn't fight Shogun, who should he has fought?
    If Jones didn't defend against Rampage, who should he has fought?
    If Jones didn't defend against Machida, who should he has fought?
    If Jones didn't defend against Rashad, who should he has fought?
    If Jones didn't defend against Vitor, who should he has fought?
    If Jones didn't defend against Chael, who should he has fought?
    If Jones didn't defend against Gus, who should he has fought?
    If Jones didn't defend against Glover, who should he has fought?

Name some better fighter than these. I dare you.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  18. MitMcl

MitMcl Black Belt

So basically it's your opinion that every fighter sucks.

19. Deadaim58

Deadaim58 Orange Belt

Do us a favor. Don't watch the LHW division in the UFC. Your entire post (even if you aren't a Jones fan) just trashed multiple Hall of Fame fighters and the top tier of the division. If that's the case then watch something else. Your argument amounts to me saying that the Seahawks don't deserve the Super Bowl because the teams they beat weren't that good. The division he's in is the division he's in. Those men you just trashed are the best LHW fighters in the world. Unlike other sports like football and basketball, when UFC champions declare they are world champions it's because someone like Jones beat a guy from Brazil for his title. I see what your trying to do here but your wrong. Jones beat the best to become the best. Then the other best stepped up and he beat them. Stop hating.

20. JAVila916

JAVila916 White Belt

Once again, you seem to have misread my post. I was opening the floor for some discussion. As I stated earlier, the heyday of the UFC LHW division began to fade as the fighters when from their mid-20s to their late 20s early 30s. So it's reasonable to say that their skills had diminished. But of course, you just respond with your typical "Don't watch it if you don't like it and stop hating response." You are not logical and not fit for good discussion, period. As it seems, you belong on Sherdog. I was hoping to find a few intellectual posters here that would open the floor, but hence, I got this.

I didn't trash the best LHW fighters, I merely pointed out their recent developments and facts, they got old, and weren't the same. Do you agree? Or did you just put words in my mouth to prove your teenage-style post right?

Children, they're everywhere on sherdog.