Opinion My opinion on H.R. 1186 "Keep Americans Safe Act" (high cap. mag. ban) LONG READ

Representative Dutch’s proposed legislation was introduced one year and one day after the attack on Stoneman Douglas Highschool in Parkland, Florida, which received great nationwide attention due to several factors which include the setting of the attack ( a high school), the number of victims (17 were killed and an another 17 were wounded), as well as the student-led campaigns and activism which followed the attack. Although the type of attack in Parkland was not the first of its kind, this incident, along with what followed, has been a strong driving factor in changing the way we as citizens, and our elected officials discuss, debate, and address existing firearm legislation in our country, and H.R. 1186 is a product of that change. Deutch’s rationale can be found in his words during an announcement on Capitol Hill on the day that the bill was introduced, saying "House Democrats were sent to Congress to address the epidemic of gun violence in our country… Whether you're using a firearm for sport or self-defense, there is no need for a magazine that can hold more than ten rounds of ammunition. Large capacity magazines are used almost universally in mass shootings because of their ability to maximize casualties.”

Funnily enough, the Parkland kid used low-capacity magazines.

Funnily enough, the Parkland kid used low-capacity magazines.
That is true, actually. I missed that. Wow. Makes it even more insane to introduce this particular legislation on the anniversary (one year and one day anniversary) of the shooting.

That is true, actually. I missed that. Wow. Makes it even more insane to introduce this particular legislation on the anniversary (one year and one day anniversary) of the shooting.

Gun-grabbers prove time and time again they don't know shit about what they're looking to legislate, and care not if their measures produce no significant benefit. So long as something sounds good in theory, Constitution be damned.

Since TS opened up the door...

49c09eaa5c74f99720e130c603950cbf--girl-guns-firearms.jpg

693ba0d4b0000933b4e53124d4217d65.jpg

Good stuff.

But until the pro-gun crowd starts ceding ground to public opinion and crafting good faith legislation themselves, you're going to continue to see non-gun owners bungle attempts to control gun violence.

Good stuff.

But until the pro-gun crowd starts ceding ground to public opinion and crafting good faith legislation themselves, you're going to continue to see non-gun owners bungle attempts to control gun violence.

Starts? Are you being ignorant or dishonest?

Good stuff.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-...aWt8zMCaG6LxE898g3pYCJYEJU81Jry0g#discussions

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_mo...conduct-gun-control-poll-goes-horribly-wrong/

Are we actually certain of what public opinion really is? Or are you listening to media bias? At The public range I go to, I asked the RSO what everyone else was shooting, he replied “about 80% of the guns people shoot are ARs”

Gun-grabbers prove time and time again they don't know shit about what they're looking to legislate, and care not if their measures produce no significant benefit. So long as something sounds good in theory, Constitution be damned.

Good stuff.

Leave it to Trotsky to prove a point everyone else already knew...

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-...aWt8zMCaG6LxE898g3pYCJYEJU81Jry0g#discussions

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_mo...conduct-gun-control-poll-goes-horribly-wrong/

Are we actually certain of what public opinion really is? Or are you listening to media bias? At The public range I go to, I asked the RSO what everyone else was shooting, he replied “about 80% of the guns people shoot are ARs”

Yeah, your Facebook poll is not representative. Probably because someone posted a link to it and flooded it with votes to trigger da libz.

In reality, it's a fairly popular talking point, even though I don't personally think it's good policy given the ambiguity and arbitrariness of what constitutes an "assault weapon."

But this is a poll from last month by Politico and Morning Consult
190807_Assault-Weapons-Ban_fullwidth.png

That's considerably more favorable that most polls I have seen, as data was collected in the wake of a particularly tumultuous week for mass shootings. But most polls show it as about 50-50 in polling, with each party being around 70-30 in their own policy direction.

Starts? Are you being ignorant or dishonest?

I'm being sincere, and you're being a hack, because, as usual, you can't discuss any in re guns with any civility. Gun absolutist crying "tyranny!" about every minor proposal and not offering their input into effective but tailored legislation has been constant.

Banning everything except muzzleloaders would be better.

Introduced in the United States House of Representatives on February 13th, 2019, H.R. 1186 aims to prohibit the sale, transfer, possession, manufacturing, and importation of large-capacity firearm magazines in the United States. It was sponsored by Representative Theodore E. Deutch, of Florida’s 22nd congressional district, and is cosponsored by 160 additional congressional representatives, and has been titled as the “Keep Americans Safe Act”.

Representative Dutch’s proposed legislation was introduced one year and one day after the attack on Stoneman Douglas Highschool in Parkland, Florida, which received great nationwide attention due to several factors which include the setting of the attack ( a high school), the number of victims (17 were killed and an another 17 were wounded), as well as the student-led campaigns and activism which followed the attack. Although the type of attack in Parkland was not the first of its kind, this incident, along with what followed, has been a strong driving factor in changing the way we as citizens, and our elected officials discuss, debate, and address existing firearm legislation in our country, and H.R. 1186 is a product of that change. Deutch’s rationale can be found in his words during an announcement on Capitol Hill on the day that the bill was introduced, saying "House Democrats were sent to Congress to address the epidemic of gun violence in our country… Whether you're using a firearm for sport or self-defense, there is no need for a magazine that can hold more than ten rounds of ammunition. Large capacity magazines are used almost universally in mass shootings because of their ability to maximize casualties.”

While I take Rep. Deutch’s rationale in good faith, I believe that the text of H.R. 1186, along with his words indicate misunderstandings and a misguided approach to reducing gun violence. I do not believe that either address the root cause of gun violence, nor do they conform to precedent set in the Supreme Court’s 2008 Columbia v. Heller decision. As District Court Judge Roger Benitez wrote in his opinion of the Duncan v. Becerra case on March 29th, 2019, “Nothing in the Second Amendment makes lethality a factor to consider because a gun's lethality, or dangerousness, is assumed… If Heller tells us anything, it is that firearms cannot be categorically prohibited just because they are dangerous.”. I agree that lethality and dangerousness are subjective terms and cannot be universally accepted to mean the same thing to everyone. I also do not envision any future mass shooting incident being thwarted by the proposed legislation simply because the attacker was required to change magazines, which is a very quick and simple task to complete when a firearm’s magazine is empty. It seems irresponsible for Rep. Deutch to claim that by reducing a magazine’s capacity, one’s capability to do harm is reduced. Furthermore, precedent set in Columbia v. Heller explains that “The right to keep and bear arms is a right enjoyed by law-abiding citizens to have arms that are [in common use] for lawful purposes like self-defense.". From that, I gather that if a weapon is commonly owned by law abiding citizens for lawful purposes, then it is allowed, and the proposed legislation would contradict that precedent. H.R. 1184’s definition of “high-capacity magazines” references the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, in which the term is used to define magazines that have a capacity of more than ten rounds, however that legislation has not been in effect for fifteen years and precedes Columbia v. Heller. Also, three of the top-five most commonly owned firearms in the U.S. are capable of firing more than ten rounds when equipped with commonly owned magazines without having to reload the weapon. In this context, I would argue that the term “high-capacity” should indicate a greater-than-normal capacity, which exceeds ten rounds. Finally, to be as charitable as possible, a magazine ban like the one detailed in the legislation that is being proposed is not a “gun ban”. Although a magazine is required to utilize a semi-automatic weapon, it is not a component of the weapon itself, but an attachment. Despite this, the proposed legislation still does not avoid conflict with the constitution, even when granted that ten rounds are to be considered a high amount. I agree with Judge Manion’s 2015 dissenting opinion in Friedman v. City of Highland Park. He states that “To limit self-defense to only those methods acceptable to the government is to effect an enormous transfer of authority from the citizens of this country to the government—a result directly contrary to our constitution and to our political tradition.”

As of this date, H.R. 1186 has 160 cosponsors, all of whom are congressional Democrats. 54% of these cosponsors are representatives in just 10% of our states (CA - 35, NY - 22, FL - 12, IL - 9, NJ - 9). It also is receiving support from groups like Amnesty International, a non-government organization based in London which focuses on global human rights abuses, climate change activism, and supporting pro-European Union ideals. Giffords, a political action committee based in Washington D.C., also supports it. Giffords was founded by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who was critically wounded in a mass shooting in Tuscon, AZ in 2011, and primarily focuses on firearm legislation reform. Although unsuccessful in finding any official rebuke of this proposed legislation, it will almost certainly be opposed by groups like the National Rifle Association, many Republican officials and political pundits, as well as a small portion of Democratic officials, should it gain traction in congress.

Below is data from a 2018 voluntary Pew Research poll, in which 10,683 samples were taken to gauge support for such legislation, but not specifically for H.R. 1186.

https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/CFFileServlet/_cf_chart/8062745300107493.jpg

aa2b70ce5f30d859950b69412f04705d--bang-bang-firearms.jpg

Nice trigger discipline by the young lady.

Also, I'd wager most mass shootings are not done by "white males with AR15s" but nobody wants to address that...

The incident below is not a mass shooting, by most definitions out there...hell, the article didn't even have the phrase "mass shooting" in it. I wonder why...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brookl...ing-at-block-party-in-brownsville-playground/

"New York — A community festival was coming to a close when gunfire erupted in a Brooklyn neighborhood, leaving one man dead, another person in critical condition and 10 others wounded, authorities said Sunday as they searched for two shooters they believe were involved.

NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill said the shooting late Saturday in the borough's Brownsville section "was a tragic end to a wonderful weekend" where thousands of people had come to take part in the annual Old Timers Event, which he said had been held since 1963.

The crowd at the celebration, which features musical performances from former residents and current local talent, was dispersing when gunshots rang out from a playground area in the park where it was taking place, officials said.

"We all thought it was firecrackers because, you know, you felt so safe with police presence here. Who's going to think this is gunfire at an event like this? And then when you start seeing the crowd running and screaming, then that's when everything clicked on that, you know, that this is gunfire, so the first thing you're looking for is cover," Michael Thomas, a community activist, told CBS New York.

Twelve people were hit — seven men and five women between the ages of 21 and 55. A 38-year-old man died from a bullet wound to the head. His name was not immediately released. One of the injured was critical.

Six of the wounded had been released from the hospital by midday Sunday, O'Neill said.

No arrests have yet been made, and authorities asked anyone with information or cellphone video to come forward. One gun was recovered.

"There were a lot of people just chilling and having a good time," Kaseem Collins, 19, told the Daily News. Then, when shots rang out, "we all started running," he said. "I ran as fast as I could away from everyone. I thought I was going to get shot."

"I heard shots, and I saw a stampede running toward me," Diamond Perez, 38, told the newspaper.

A 2010 newsletter from the parks department described the Old Timers Event as a celebration of former members of the Brownsville Recreation Center "who went on to success and fame in sports and other endeavors." It said the event has grown over the years to include concerts and other things.

"One of the worst experiences of my life," City Council member Alicka Ampry-Samuel tweeted. "How does such a beautiful and peaceful event become overshadowed by tragedy in seconds?"

"It was chaos," Gary Miller, a 60-year-old vendor at the event, told the New York Post. "Shots rang out, and the crowd was already dispersing, and you heard about 9 to 11 shots and everyone was running and scattering for cover."

Videos posted on social media showed police clearing large groups of people out of the area around the recreation center. Photos from local news outlets showed several people taken away on stretchers, including some with what appeared to be minor wounds."

Back