My newest favorite tricep exercise

If it's what I'm picturing, it's what I've heard referred to as French presses.

The original "french press" was a standing overhead barbell extension, often done with an EZ curl bar and a fairly narrow grip. It was so named the "french press" in honor of the French bodybuilder, Serge Nubret, who popularized it back in the early 70's. In Europe, it was known as a "french curl" believe it or not and in some of the old Dan Lurie mags, it was called a french curl. Like a lot of exercises, it eventually was applied to similar moves and before long the flat back barbell tricep extension became known as the "french press". A move that become popular in the early 80's was known as a pullover and press, which was a supine tricep extension and then you did a pullover-it was done with a medium grip and it was supposed to hit the upper back/lats and the triceps in sort of a multi-compound movement. A lot of guys found that it hit the triceps harder than the upper back and so they begin using a narrower grip and also "shortening" the stroke of the pullover phase to stretch the tricep. It was a very effective exercise, but it often aggravated shoulders and so it quickly lost popularity within a few years. The movement I described has been around for awhile and I know the WS guys used it. I dont believe its a replacement for the narrow grip bench press or anything else, its simply another tool in the arsenal.

It was one thing for kicker to ignore advice and continue in his methods, it became a whole other when he decided to try to ridicule someone else. His ban may have been premature however well deserved. I'd guess he's young and english is his 2nd language.

Keith thanks for posting this.

It was one thing for kicker to ignore advice and continue in his methods, it became a whole other when he decided to try to ridicule someone else. His ban may have been premature however well deserved. I'd guess he's young and english is his 2nd language.

Keith thanks for posting this.

I would say he's a youngin based on his demonstrated maturity level. In the end he's just silly, not misanthropic IMO. Despite the initial resistance to taking any advice, I think he'd eventually benefit from the forums.

This picture to me is what I always thought was the exact thought of what a french press is. In laymens terms couls someone explain how the pic in the link is different from a french press.

Keith may have done it in this -
The original "french press" was a standing overhead barbell extension, often done with an EZ curl bar and a fairly narrow grip. It was so named the "french press" in honor of the French bodybuilder, Serge Nubret, who popularized it back in the early 70's. In Europe, it was known as a "french curl" believe it or not and in some of the old Dan Lurie mags, it was called a french curl. Like a lot of exercises, it eventually was applied to similar moves and before long the flat back barbell tricep extension became known as the "french press". A move that become popular in the early 80's was known as a pullover and press, which was a supine tricep extension and then you did a pullover-it was done with a medium grip and it was supposed to hit the upper back/lats and the triceps in sort of a multi-compound movement. A lot of guys found that it hit the triceps harder than the upper back and so they begin using a narrower grip and also "shortening" the stroke of the pullover phase to stretch the tricep. It was a very effective exercise, but it often aggravated shoulders and so it quickly lost popularity within a few years. The movement I described has been around for awhile and I know the WS guys used it. I dont believe its a replacement for the narrow grip bench press or anything else, its simply another tool in the arsenal.

But I cant envision it with that description.

That said the only isolated Tricep work I ever do has been Barbell French presses and ive seen good results in helping my bench numbers.

I actually like the "pullover and press" -- it always seems easier on the elbows than the stricter variant, but also allows you to use more weight. I guess it is similar to the rolling tricep extension in that it's more of a compound movement. Good info!

I'll have to try this. I have a little tendonitis in my right elbow and I'm looking for triceps exercises I can do that don't put the joint at a disadvantage. So far, I have narrow-grip bench and that's about it. So this one's worth a try.

On the topic of missing good info by passing up people that didn't have the highest credentials or any for that matter.

When they say you cant judge a book by its cover the application of the quote is commonly misused. If I walk into barnes and noble and look around and see Twilight Eclipse Im not going to read it to find out whether or not its a good read. That would be unreasonable since I would also have to read every other book in B&N. However if I skim the titles I can make better odds of me finding a decent book. I'm not judging the other books I'm just going to my best odds. In here if a man that just started training tells me to do kettle bell jumping jacks for my squat I'm not going to spend the time listening to him. The other thing is the more you lift the more you have to find odd workouts to help you in contrast to a newb who can gain much better with just SS.

By the way I think kicker stated in his log that he was 29 if I remember right.

On the topic of missing good info by passing up people that didn't have the highest credentials or any for that matter.

When they say you cant judge a book by its cover the application of the quote is commonly misused. If I walk into barnes and noble and look around and see Twilight Eclipse Im not going to read it to find out whether or not its a good read. That would be unreasonable since I would also have to read every other book in B&N. However if I skim the titles I can make better odds of me finding a decent book. I'm not judging the other books I'm just going to my best odds. In here if a man that just started training tells me to do kettle bell jumping jacks for my squat I'm not going to spend the time listening to him. The other thing is the more you lift the more you have to find odd workouts to help you in contrast to a newb who can gain much better with just SS.

By the way I think kicker stated in his log that he was 29 if I remember right.

On the topic of posting vs. lifting experience...

You're a child of sixteen years old and you can't bench 135 yet, correct?

I'm not trying to disparage - these are just facts - but I think there might be a need for some perspective here, considering the amount of posting you do here and the amount of advice you seem to want to dispense.

Oh and "Start" is the new Kicker, in case no-one noticed.

I got an e-mail this morning that told me a Canadian fitness guru is blogging about me....weird.

On the topic of posting vs. lifting experience...

You're a child of sixteen years old and you can't bench 135 yet, correct?

I'm not trying to disparage - these are just facts - but I think there might be a need for some perspective here, considering the amount of posting you do here and the amount of advice you seem to want to dispense.

Ive been injured so all Ive been able to do is study really. Ive gotten to do one month of SS before pulling my groin and aggravating my separated shoulder. Telling people to read the FAQ is not really anything special, I essential do noob trafficking. I do find it funny people always bring up my bench since its my worst lift. If your gonna play the stronger than thou card you might as well cover my squat and deadlift too. Its not like I have incredible lifts there either.

Basically your doin skull crushers

Let's not forget that Keith developed a substantial bench press and strict overhead press well before his revelation with the rolling DB tricep ext. Based on that, is this recent discovery a "must have" in your training program?

Evaluate the exercises for what they are and please consider your advancement and adaptation level before you dive in head first.

Are you sure? Skull crushers (at least the way of been taught to do them) is completely different.

Only difference is your palms face each other in this exercise as opposed to skull crushers your palms face infront of you

Holy crap, this thread got de railed for a bit and got Kicker banned. Sucky. I don't think Kicker knew who keith was and that's why the whole thing. W/e I guess. let bygones be bygones.

I have to ask though, why this exercise over skullcrushers, close grip, dips, etc. Is it the stretching aspect you're talking about?

Holy crap, this thread got de railed for a bit and got Kicker banned. Sucky. I don't think Kicker knew who keith was and that's why the whole thing. W/e I guess. let bygones be bygones.

Kicker liked to post without having any clue what he was posting about. It was only a matter of time before he was banned.

I have to ask though, why this exercise over skullcrushers, close grip, dips, etc. Is it the stretching aspect you're talking about?

This exercise isn't really comparable to any compound exercise (like dips, or close grip bench) that emphasizes the triceps. Rather it's more of an isolation exercise. I believe Keith expained that he likes this over other tricep exercises because it's easier on the shoulders. So maybe after some hard benching, I don't want to do narrow grip presses or board presses, but I still want to train my triceps a bit more. So I use an isolation exercise like this one.

Back